UEFA Euro 2020 (June 11 2021-July 11 2021)

Good Lord! England goes down in OVERTIME! Good thing all of England started drinking at breakfast. I feel for police. At least they don't have guns. That country was completely BONKERS today!
I was texting with some friends over there earlier today and they mentioned that parts of London looked like a tornado had been through. The scenes from Leicester Square this afternoon are EXACTLY why police in England lobby to have as many derbies start at noon/mid-afternoon as possible.

Reactions: MAD
If there is a sport where you can sit on a lead, it's soccer. Southgate's problem is that he tried to sit on a lead for 88 minutes, not 28.
Exactly. They took the lead so quickly that his strategy ended up being effectively no different that of team who plays for a 0-0 draw from the opening whistle. That rarely works out. Although, I'd be interested to see what the tactics would have looked like had they not gotten the goal. They didn't exactly score because they came out on the front foot. It was just a clinical counterattack off an Italian corner.

Reactions: DocVOLiday and MAD
Exactly. They took the lead so quickly that his strategy ended up being effectively no different that of team who plays for a 0-0 draw from the opening whistle. That rarely works out. Although, I'd be interested to see what the tactics would have looked like had they not gotten the goal. They didn't exactly score because they came out on the front foot. It was just a clinical counterattack off an Italian corner.
I actually thought England looked OK until halftime, then they really got outplayed after that. They parked the bus like a third division team playing a perennial power in the FA Cup or something.

Unlike most other sports you actually can sit on a lead in soccer, but he went totally the wrong way about it.

Reactions: DocVOLiday and MAD
I actually thought England looked OK until halftime, then they really got outplayed after that. They parked the bus like a third division team playing a perennial power in the FA Cup or something.

Unlike most other sports you actually can sit on a lead in soccer, but he went totally the wrong way about it.

Agreed. Italy made some good substitutions that changed their attack. They controlled the whole 2nd half but England sitting back aided that quite a bit too. At one point before Italy got the equalizer, Italy had over 70% possession. I don’t care how good of a defense you have that usually doesn’t work out for you against a team of Italy’s quality. All teams will pack it in, especially in a big time game like this, but if the managers are smart they won’t pack it in until the last 15-20 min. Have to keep attacking and keep the other team honest and on their back foot when you can.

The guy that just doinked it off the bar...wtf. That was painful to watch.
Hated that for Rashford. His advocacy and charity work for school kids going hungry during the pandemic has been one of the best stories to come out of England during COVID. He pretty well got thrown into the fire at the last minute, held down a position he should never have been asked to play during the waning seconds, and that PK might have literally been his first kick of the match.

The aforementioned state of Leicester Square earlier today. Bold move by the guy about 8 seconds in who sees someone throw a traffic cone in the air and does his best imitation of Harry Maguire attacking a corner kick.

I just don’t understand people behaving like this. The Scottish fans took over and left it in the exact same condition a couple weeks ago when they played England.

Unfortunately, I was pulling for England.
Also as an Arsenal supporter it broke my heart for Saka,ending the match on his missed penalty kick hopefully doesn’t haunt him, he is a great kid.
Yeah he was pretty emotional on the pitch and then a bit ago I saw an article talking about he’s getting racial abuse on social media. Makes me feel even worse for him that he’s dealing with that type of ******** on top of the loss.

Edit: Rashford, Sancho and Saka all dealing with racial abuse.

Last edited:
The aforementioned state of Leicester Square earlier today. Bold move by the guy about 8 seconds in who sees someone throw a traffic cone in the air and does his best imitation of Harry Maguire attacking a corner kick.

I just don’t understand people behaving like this. The Scottish fans took over and left it in the exact same condition a couple weeks ago when they played England.

That is absolutely ridiculous.

I think that kind of behavior is 1) a reversion to their 70s/80s hooligan behavior given the importance and time of the game and 2) England being more or less locked up for the last 16 months.

Made no sense
Southgate was between a rock and a hard place on that one. Ideally you get your penalty takers on with a little time to grow into the game, but Rashford was forced to play RB for less than five minutes, and even that felt tenuous. He’s taking some flak for the late subs, but he’d be getting absolutely crucified today if Italy had scored the winner down the right because he was playing an attacking player at fullback in preparation for a penalty shootout that never came to pass.

This is some effed up behavior in England, I thought the USA was supposed to be the racist country. Well, that's what the media tells us, guarantee that would never happen in the USA at that level. Anyway, I love Saka, guys like Stone saying they would love for him to be his son, that's high praise. Good kid, young and a future star. Why Southgate didn't have Grealish and Sterling in the first 5 is a major eff up, imo. But, they lost the game playing not to lose in the 2nd half, rather than trying to put a nail or 2 in the coffin

VN Store

Back