Uconn down with star player

By P5 game, I’m sure you mean Baylor, South Carolina and Oregon, the top three teams in the country. She struggled against Tennessee as well.

Including those, UConn played ten P5 teams.

I meant to say ranked P5 teams. So those 3 + Tennessee. The reality is that those are the teams that have talent she's likely to see in the WNBA, and even some of the players who made life so difficult for her (Didi Richards, Breanna Beal) aren't likely to be WNBA caliber talent.

What she does against overmatched AAC opponents and P5 cellar dwellers is largely irrelevant. How does she play against the better competition?

Reactions: Enten/Eller
I meant to say ranked P5 teams. So those 3 + Tennessee. The reality is that those are the teams that have talent she's likely to see in the WNBA, and even some of the players who made life so difficult for her (Didi Richards, Breanna Beal) aren't likely to be WNBA caliber talent.

What she does against overmatched AAC opponents and P5 cellar dwellers is largely irrelevant. How does she play against the better competition?

Like I said, the mock drafts all have her top ten, so, I’m guessing those games are not irrelevant.

No matter the player, they have the right to make their own choices. I think it is bad to bad mouth any player because they choose to leave your programs. With the WNBA improved salary scale, and the chance to make millions oversees, there will be more young ladies leaving for the WNBA when they are eligible. The men have been doing the same thing for years.

ok

Like I said, the mock drafts all have her top ten, so, I’m guessing those games are not irrelevant.
This is also a pretty weak draft. Walker is a top 10 mock draft pick because someone has to be there. Outside of Ionescu, Cox, Sabally, Carter (if she comes out), and possibly Tyasha Harris...I can't imagine any of these players staying in the league for more than 2 years, and I can easily see a number of top 10 picks being cut before the season starts. Making a WNBA roster is probably one of the toughest training camps in all of sports, because they have so few spots available. She's not just going up against her class and returning players, but all those coming from overseas trying to crack a roster. Getting picked in the top 10 is no guarantee.

This is also a pretty weak draft. Walker is a top 10 mock draft pick because someone has to be there. Outside of Ionescu, Cox, Sabally, Carter (if she comes out), and possibly Tyasha Harris...I can't imagine any of these players staying in the league for more than 2 years, and I can easily see a number of top 10 picks being cut before the season starts. Making a WNBA roster is probably one of the toughest training camps in all of sports, because they have so few spots available. She's not just going up against her class and returning players, but all those coming from overseas trying to crack a roster. Getting picked in the top 10 is no guarantee.
You must have extensive knowledge of the WNBA draft. I’d be curious of the success rate f the top ten draft pick over the years.

You must have extensive knowledge of the WNBA draft. I’d be curious of the success rate f the top ten draft pick over the years.
Wouldn't say extensive, but I've watched my fair share and seen players that were top 10 draft picks be out of the league in a year or two. I think it gets exponentially worse as the quality of players in the draft improves, but the # of slots does not. They are coming off two very strong draft classes that saw a lot of really good players not make rosters...players that would probably be good enough to be top 10 in this upcoming year. Until Sabally announced she was entering, I don't think any players outside of Cox and Ionescu were expected to have longish careers.

Off the top of my head, the last top 10 picks I can think of who didn't make rosters were Samantha Logic (waived in training camp), Tori Jankoska, and Evelyn Akhator (think both were waived midway through the season ). And this is in the last 5 years. I think this draft will be the weakest one since the year Akhator/Jankoska were drafted.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
I have a hard time believing most, as in a majority, of BY folks were unhappy with Evina giving UT the middle finger. Geno does it all the time.
Some UT fans deserved that but the Lady Vol players and program certainly didn’t.
Many people have a hard time with truth.

When you start a post stating 'you have a hard time believing'. You do one of two things; 1) you declare your lack of facts to back up your proposition clarifying it is based on belief, or 2) you call the original poster a liar. I am sure that such a gentle lady as yourself would not stoop to calling names.

Wouldn't say extensive, but I've watched my fair share and seen players that were top 10 draft picks be out of the league in a year or two. I think it gets exponentially worse as the quality of players in the draft improves, but the # of slots does not. They are coming off two very strong draft classes that saw a lot of really good players not make rosters...players that would probably be good enough to be top 10 in this upcoming year. Until Sabally announced she was entering, I don't think any players outside of Cox and Ionescu were expected to have longish careers.

Off the top of my head, the last top 10 picks I can think of who didn't make rosters were Samantha Logic (waived in training camp), Tori Jankoska, and Evelyn Akhator (think both were waived midway through the season ). And this is in the last 5 years. I think this draft will be the weakest one since the year Akhator/Jankoska were drafted.
I’m sure there are even more.

It’s a tough business.

I’m not sure why you would discount 1/4 of her season. Seems to me playing better at the end of the season is a good thing.

No argument she struggled against those four teams, but it’s silly to discount the other 28 games. There is a reason she is predicted to go Top Ten in the draft.

Playing against middle to bottom of the AAC to close out the year will certainly help your raw stats. I certainly think the way a player performs against their peers speaks more accurately to their own skill level. If you want to call that discounting the AAC then so be it.
Just look at her career numbers against all ranked teams
Freshman season - 8 games, 16-43 = 37.2%
Sophomore season - 8 games, 32-75 = 42.6%
Junior season - 5 games, 26-82 = 31.7%
She put up good stats on one of the weakest UConn teams in a long time. I think she'd be the 3rd or 4th leading scorer on any of the UConn teams from 2010-2018. She is over reliant on shooting threes and jump shots mainly because of her limited skillset, inability to drive to the hoop, finish over taller, athletic defenders, and is missing a playmaking ability. She will have to fight and claw to make and then stick on a roster, regardless of whether she's drafted in the top ten. She is a WNBA bench player who will have the occasional game where she gets hot from three. I just hope she's ready when the reality that she's not long for the league inevitably sets.

UCONN could lose the title and fans would say it’s good for the team. They’re delusional. They lose Dangerfield and Walker but fans believe they’ll win the title thanks to a freshman and UT transfer. Good luck with that.

Many people have a hard time with truth.

When you start a post stating 'you have a hard time believing'. You do one of two things; 1) you declare your lack of facts to back up your proposition clarifying it is based on belief, or 2) you call the original poster a liar. I am sure that such a gentle lady as yourself would not stoop to calling names.
You are correct. I don’t have facts because I am not going to go to the BY and make an audit of their posts regarding EWs unfortunate action. But if you flip the situation around and UT had a transfer in from Connecticut who pulled a stunt like that I feel comfortable that some posters here would be uncomfortable with her actions but the majority would have a little chuckle. I wouldn’t think the fan bases are significantly different in their feelings.
Also correct, I would really hesitate to call the poster a liar for that is a much more serious transgression than what i felt was meant.
But you missed the third option.....the poster is a Connecticut fan posting on our board and is trying to not antagonize the folks on this board. They are not intentionally telling a big whopper, they are friendly with our posters and don’t want to rub salt into the whole Evina wound. So when I say I have a hard time believing it is in essence a wink and a nod to the poster that perhaps they are spreading a bit of sunshine and while I appreciate their efforts to be politique I am not fooled into believing UConn fans have suddenly developed a real sense of moral outrage over an insult thrown at UT.
Hope that explains where I was coming from (ending preposition...bad).

Last edited:
You are correct. I don’t have facts because I am not going to go to the BY and make an audit of their posts regarding EWs unfortunate action. But if you flip the situation around and UT had a transfer in from Connecticut who pulled a stunt like that I feel comfortable that some posters here would be uncomfortable with her actions but the majority would have a little chuckle. I wouldn’t think the fan bases are significantly different in their feelings.
Also correct, I would really hesitate to call the poster a liar for that is a much more serious transgression than what i felt was meant.
But you missed the third option.....the poster is a Connecticut fan posting on our board and is trying to not antagonize the folks on this board. They are not intentionally telling a big whopper, they are friendly with our posters and don’t want to rub salt into the whole Evina wound. So when I say I have a hard time believing it is in essence a wink and a nod to the poster that perhaps they are spreading a bit of sunshine and while I appreciate their efforts to be politique I am not fooled into believing UConn fans have suddenly developed a real sense of moral outrage over an insult thrown at UT.
Hope that explains where I was coming from (ending preposition...bad).
cool!

UCONN could lose the title and fans would say it’s good for the team. They’re delusional. They lose Dangerfield and Walker but fans believe they’ll win the title thanks to a freshman and UT transfer. Good luck with that.
Thanks but time will tell. It should take the Freshman pg and the UT transfer about two months to learn how to pay UConn basketball. Of course the transfer has had a year to watch the mystery unfold so she has probably learned alot about playing basketball correctly. ;)

Sound like Need orange is throwing shade.
Yeah, definitely. Just trying to have some fun. It was basically a shot at @NoBackBoard for their 'delusional' comment about a team that finished 5th in the nation returns 5 of top 7 players and has the rated number 2 recruit class that addresses all current positional needs. They lost their PG and are bringing in two top points plus a former #2 who played point for LVs. They lost their power forward and they are bringing in a power forward who was MVP and DPOY for OSBA and played for 2 years on the Canadian national team against international pros; And the #3 forward and Gatorade Maryland player of the year.. They need post backup so they bring in 6'5" power post that KJH offered. And they guy thinks I'm delusional to expect to play for a Natty. In my opinion it deserved some shade. As far as @gule, I just love the guy to death.

Reactions: mcannon1

VN Store

Back