UConn back to Big East

I have never seen a shred of evidence that WBB even registered as much as a blip on the realignment radar.
Of course not. It's a non-revenue sport. As great as Tennessee was from 1987-1998, and they were clearly much better than anyone else during those 12 seasons, the women's basketball program has never made a dime of profit for our university. Football drives the revenue bus... men's basketball matters (a little bit) but nothing else does and certainly not any women's sports.

Of course not. It's a non-revenue sport. As great as Tennessee was from 1987-1998, and they were clearly much better than anyone else during those 12 seasons, the women's basketball program has never made a dime of profit for our university. Football drives the revenue bus... men's basketball matters (a little bit) but nothing else does and certainly not any women's sports.

YOU Don't matter

Now mosey on over to the football page and don't drop your note to the teacher.

idiot!

Reactions: MAD
YOU Don't matter

Now mosey on over to the football page and don't drop your note to the teacher.

idiot!
When I said, that women's sports don't matter, I think it's pretty clear that I was speaking in terms of conference realignment (look at the post that I was replying to) - and women's sports have never been under consideration as part of that equation... That is just how it is... Now, if I didn't care about women's sports, especially the Lady Vols basketball program, I wouldn't be here... Is it possible that you're being a little sensitive? Yeah, I think so. Relax...

When I said, that women's sports don't matter, I think it's pretty clear that I was speaking in terms of conference realignment - and women's sports have never been under consideration as part of that equation... That is just how it is... Now, if I didn't care about women's sports, especially the Lady Vols basketball program, I wouldn't be here... Is it possible that you're being a little sensitive here? Yeah, I think so. Relax...

Yes I take it personal when someone says "and certainly not any women's sports"
I have coached this game 38 years and have seen a couple of hundred girls I have coached get into college on scholarship...they may not have been able to get a chance at college otherwise...SO to me, it matters more than you know.

Its not all about revenue...sometimes it's about the kids

Reactions: MAD and Smallvol#1
Yes I take it personal when someone says "and certainly not any women's sports"
I have coached this game 38 years and have seen a couple of hundred girls I have coached get into college on scholarship...they may not have been able to get a chance at college otherwise...SO to me, it matters more than you know.

Its not all about revenue...sometimes it's about the kids
Once again, I was clearly speaking in terms of conference realignment and it absolutely is all about revenue in the context of that discussion. You are being naive, if you think otherwise. ... Now, you have either chosen to take what I said out of it's context, or you are being hyper-sensitive. I don't really care which one it is, frankly.

I have enough of a post history on this forum, for the members here to see how much I enjoy supporting the Lady Vols and how much respect and admiration that I have for the legacy of Pat Summitt, who is the best ambassador my alma mater has ever had.

Once again, I was clearly speaking in terms of conference realignment and it absolutely is all about revenue in the context of that discussion. You are being naive, if you think otherwise. ... Now, you have either chosen to take what I said out of it's context, or you are being hyper-sensitive. I don't really care which one it is, frankly.

I have enough of a post history on this forum, for the members here to see how much I enjoy supporting the Lady Vols and how much respect and admiration that I have for the legacy of Pat Summitt, who is the best ambassador my alma mater has ever had.

I am touchy about this subject, yes.
38 years of my life has been devoted to it.

I am sorry if I jumped at you.
I have learned over time that
quick reaction is better than "think about it-reaction,,because "think about it reaction" is often,,
"no reaction".

Bygones
BB

Why do you even care so much?

But my point stands. Tennessee fans weren't the one who brought up academics; NewDog did...as if UConn has some huge advantage there. Let's face it...neither school is Harvard. Most of the discussion of elite academic institutions is happening in the Top 20-30 range. Crowing about #63 and acting like the difference between that and 115 is anything worth even mentioning is just downright sad. And the fact that you're doubling down on that is even more pathetic.

I was just offering info to correct an error. Silly me. We aren't fans because of the English Department. That you see me doubling down on something (??), that may need some self examination.

This to me is really the sad irony. For all the far-reaching positive effects of Title IX, and for all the monumental achievements of pioneers and titans like Pat Summitt, women's collegiate sports have been unable to progress financially beyond tag-along status to football. I don't hate college football, but I do hate how it's become the only benchmark currency in the unsavory business of college athletics.

This to me is really the sad irony. For all the far-reaching positive effects of Title IX, and for all the monumental achievements of pioneers and titans like Pat Summitt, women's collegiate sports have been unable to progress financially beyond tag-along status to football. I don't hate college football, but I do hate how it's become the only benchmark currency in the unsavory business of college athletics.

The primary reason that women's sports don't thrive economically is because most straight women don't care.

The primary reason that women's sports don't thrive economically is because most straight women don't care.

Perhaps, A reason.
But, Primary reason?
Or, you might be right.
But, I disagree; I think.

Do straight women care more about men’s sports?
Is there a demographic study about this phenomenon - “straight women don’t care?”
Normally, I wouldn’t go there; but, being that this thread has headed off in every conceivable direction ...

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Perhaps, A reason.
But, Primary reason?
Or, you might be right.

Is there a demographic study about this phenomenon - “straight women don’t care?”
Normally, I wouldn’t go there; but, being that this thread has headed off in every conceivable direction ...

My wife will watch football, men's basketball, volleyball. Tolerates softball but is not a fan. She hates womens basketball. I don't know if she is the norm or an exception but it is what it is. I think for her its two dimensional--(1) comparability to the mens game, specifically the quality of play (i.e. can't tolerate the missed layups) and (2) there is only so much free time in our lives so for that season she'd rather watch the guys.

Reactions: krichunaka
Perhaps, A reason.
But, Primary reason?
Or, you might be right.

Maybe not all sports, but I think that's true for the major sports in the USA (basketball, football, baseball, hockey). Anecdotally speaking, you see a large proportion of younger women in the crowds at MLB or NBA games, usually in the company of men (boyfriend/husband?). In Boston, there are huge female followings for the Red Sox and Patriots...not just at the games, but in the bars showing the games or house parties as well.

Female college students are also a big part of NCAAB or NCAAF crowds. I think it's viewed as more of a social event than watching NCAAW basketball games. When I was in college, gameday for these sports was always a big deal, whereas the women's sports and other men's sports barely drew a crowd. Nothing has changed much based on games I've attended there in the past 5-6 years either.

I don't know if they've done scientific studies, but I'd bet good money that far more women (in general, regardless of orientation) are fans for men's sports vs. women's for those major sports.

My wife is a casual WCBB fan but only because I dragged her to games for years before she started actually enjoying it. I suspect that when I croak her fandom will end. The same was true of the LPGA. We attended lots of tournaments because I wanted to go. SHe is a fan of men's golf though. My daughter is a MBB and football fan, but her eyes glaze over at the mention of WBB.
As for women that do support women's sports - just look around the arena/course during an event.

Most women I know have little or no interest in any sports.

Reactions: krichunaka
Thank you, brassie, Amb3096, and WVU05UT09.
I cringed a little before posting; which I did, only after erasing a reference to the great, former Stanford player - Wiggins. I'll let that sleeping dog (or, Husky, if you prefer, brassie) lie. For now.
But, to just be clear that I'm understanding your responses, would it not be just as fair to say, "....because (straight) men don't care."?

I cringed a little before posting; which I did, only after erasing a reference to the great, former Stanford player - Wiggins. I'll let that sleeping dog (or, Husky, if you prefer, brassie) lie. For now.
But, to just be clear that I'm understanding your responses, would it not be just as fair to say, "....because (straight) men don't care."?

I wouldn't necessarily limit it to straight men, and I see the point you're making. WBB has been a hard sell to the majority of male fans for one reason or another...some legitimate, some sexist. I think the reason that the women fans were called out was because what better way to empower other women than by supporting their pro leagues? It's kind of weird to call out men for not wholeheartedly embracing women's sports when the other 50% of the population is also not supporting their sisters.

I wouldn't necessarily limit it to straight men, and I see the point you're making. WBB has been a hard sell to the majority of male fans for one reason or another...some legitimate, some sexist. I think the reason that the women fans were called out was because what better way to empower other women than by supporting their pro leagues? It's kind of weird to call out men for not wholeheartedly embracing women's sports when the other 50% of the population is also not supporting their sisters.

There are several things the WNBA could do to up the money and popularity
beginning with marketing.
The marketing across the board for the W is pathetic

I am straight and I care a great deal about the women's game.
38 years ago my niece approached me to coach her rec-BB team..."Alls we need is a grownup, so we can have a team" she told me.
A couple of years later I started watching a team from UT that had a lady coach who had raised the bar considerably for the women's game and the player's skill-sets got closer to the men's.

It made me want to do the same thing.
Now my focus is on raising the NCAA coaches game.

The players got ahead of the coaches,
now the coaches have got to catch up and learn how to fully use the skills these girls come in with.

Correct.
I attended many of the Atl Dream games while I was in Atl
The audience consistently was about 40% kids/families, 40% LBG and about 20% males

As a straight Alpha male myself it took me a little time to become comfortable in that environment ...Had I not been a coach for girls basketball and one of the people involved in bringing the Dream to Atlanta,,I too may have let the environment intimidate me.

Thanks for the help, and for your forbearance as I attempt to sort this out, historically, emotionally, politically, etc.
And, Coach Jumper, as an aging man (62) - with six sisters - I appreciate your immense contributions, here, and on the courts.
I should note (and Amb3096 picked it up immediately), that I was being a bit facetious with my "straight men" lead.
Again, I'm grateful.

Reactions: Amb3096
Thanks for the help, and for your forbearance as I attempt to sort this out, historically, emotionally, politically, etc.
And, Coach Jumper, as an aging man (62) - with six sisters - I appreciate your immense contributions, here, and on the courts.
I should note (and Amb3096 picked it up immediately), that I was being a bit facetious with my "straight men" lead.
Again, I'm grateful.

I can’t speak for all men but I think when it comes to women’s basketball and men it’s the same reasoning as why my wife isn’t interested: combination of 1) only so much time for entertainment, 2) quality of the games as a function of a direct comparison to the men’s game.

I know women hate to pit themselves against each other but I think an informative comparison is with softball. I used to coach travel softball years ago in Indiana and I can’t tell you the number of times men I didn’t know would get going in a conversation with me when they found out I coached. The game has just exploded in the last twenty years due in some capacity to how men have taken to the game and love watching it. Games are quick (2 hours), they offer lots of offensive firepower, games are rarely blowouts and you may have a team dominate through 6 innings and boom 2-3 hits by the opponent and the lead is gone. it’s just overall a tense game at the D1 level that keeps you drawn in. The ratings bear it out. I think lack of a direct comparison to baseball has helped tremendously because they are different games so viewers expect entirely different action.

Last edited:
.... quality of the games as a function of a direct comparison to the men’s game. ..... I think lack of a direct comparison to baseball has helped tremendously because they are different games so viewers expect entirely different action.

I watched a couple of the Raptor-Warrior Finals....Early in one game (game 2 or 3 ??) I forget which,,,anyway, the teams had gone a combined 6 for 20 (that's a 30% shooting) and it wasn't the defense,, they were getting wide open looks,,,One of the teams had 6 turnovers...and a key player (Klay) had two fouls early. . . .This was two NBA finals teams??? ...... But the game was so fast and exciting that the score was second, to the pace and environment (at that point in time).

The second thing, (softball-baseball) different games is key,
M and W BB is only different in physicality,,otherwise it is the exact same game.

T
It made me want to do the same thing.
Now my focus is on raising the NCAA coaches game.

The players got ahead of the coaches,
now the coaches have got to catch up and learn how to fully use the skills these girls come in with.
Eh, you better work on the AAU coaches. Girls coming into college are talented, but their "skill" level leaves a lot to be desired. College coaches unfortunately have to do a lot of remedial work with the players. Besides showcasing players, AAU format and coaches are some of the worst things to have happened to BB. (men and women) Practicing 1-2 times a week and then playing 4-6 games in a tournament on a weekend is a recipe for disaster. Any "coaches" involved with that should be ashamed.

Reactions: brassie
I watched a couple of the Raptor-Warrior Finals....Early in one game (game 2 or 3 ??) I forget which,,,anyway, the teams had gone a combined 6 for 20 (that's a 30% shooting) and it wasn't the defense,, they were getting wide open looks,,,One of the teams had 6 turnovers...and a key player (Klay) had two fouls early. . . .This was two NBA finals teams??? ...... But the game was so fast and exciting that the score was second, to the pace and environment (at that point in time).

M and W BB is only different in physicality,,otherwise it is the exact same game.

Eh, Not exactly.

The physicality differences (height, strength, speed, athleticism) changes it into a completely different game. Just the ability to play above the rim is a total game changer by itself.

The physicality differences (height, strength, speed, athleticism) changes it into a completely different game. Just the ability to play above the rim is a total game changer by itself.

Not to mention the difference in ball size, 3 point line, back court time, quarters vs halves and other exact differences.

VN Store

Back