UCF vs LSU

These guys want to pump Heupel's time at Mizzu, with a NFL QB, he had an offensive efficiency rating (which takes into account defensive strength) that ranked 60th in 2016 and 22nd in 2017.

For comparison, ironically Jim Chaney in 2012 had our offense ranked 22nd, and we were 4-7 and ran Dooley out of town. So all these guys claiming at least we will be fun to watch...were probably yelling for Dooley to be fired in 2012 even though we were supposedly "fun to watch".

Like I say, getting beat 55-35 isn't more exciting than getting beat 35-15. Winning is exciting.

Ohh and by the way, in 2018 OC Derek Dooley had Mizzu ranked 11th in offensive efficiency. Lock's SR year. They won't tell you that.

You are making some serious assumptions. One, I don't assume he can score "an ass ton of points" here, especially enough to help keep us in games against mid tier SEC teams and higher. Two, I don't know if he can hire a good enough defensive staff to keep us in said games. Three, I don't know that he can recruit at a high enough level to keep us in games.

For the University of Tennessee, Heupel is a garbage hire, especially at this time and on the heels of 3 previous garbage hires (notice a trend?). For Arkansas or Mississippi State, he would be an ok hire.
You do know he had a top 5 offense at Missouri right? So what are you talking about he can’t score points?

His defense gave up 500YPG last season, you didn’t mention that. If being a true fan means pretending every hire is good then I’m not sure what to tell you.

I've acknowledged in other posts that defense will of course be the concern, and I might be as miserable as you are if he shows up with Randy Shannon. Of course being a true fan doesn't mean pretending everything is beautiful all the time. But I'm quite sure being a true fan also doesn't require being an ass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Exiled
These guys want to pump Heupel's time at Mizzu, with a NFL QB, he had an offensive efficiency rating (which takes into account defensive strength) that ranked 60th in 2016 and 22nd in 2017.

For comparison, ironically Jim Chaney in 2012 had our offense ranked 22nd, and we were 4-7 and ran Dooley out of town. So all these guys claiming at least we will be fun to watch...were probably yelling for Dooley to be fired in 2012 even though we were supposedly "fun to watch".

Like I say, getting beat 55-35 isn't more exciting than getting beat 35-15. Winning is exciting.

Offense wasn't the problem with Chaney the first go around. The offense was awesome. Dooley was a victim of very bad luck and terrible defense most of the time.

You do know he had a top 5 offense at Missouri right? So what are you talking about he can’t score points?

He was 60th and 22nd at Mizzu in offensive efficiency, read my earlier post. Dooley was 11th the year after he left. He will likely score more points than Chaney with JG at QB but he isn't going to have a high flying offense like he had at UCF in the SEC. He's just not and his time and Mizzu proves that.

Now, we may score 60 on Tennessee Tech and put up 50 against South Alabama...which will be fun.

I always Laugh when I see this referenced for supporting our garbage hire. LSU had 12 players out for this game and still won
They competed hard, much harder than Tennessee would have. And that's with lesser talent. Quit trying to discredit this guy. I understand you don't like the hire, its no exciting. But whining isn't doing anything.

Hold on how can you understand seven starters being out for LSU in a non-covered year but with 10 starters opting out for the whole year at UCF you guys get that no credibility. You got to pick an argument and stick with it

UCF had 10 'players' opt out because of covid, not 10 starters.

His teams still got worse as more of his recruits came in. The guy was a terrible recruiter at UCF too 7th in the AAC this past year. UCF fans on their forum are glad we took their problem off their hands.
I don't think he's as bad a recruiter as the perception. Frost only brought in one 4 star, the rest were 3 stars.

These are the 247 class averages.

Frost
2016 - 82.62

2017 - 83.36

Heupel
2018 - 83.64

2019 - 84.24

2020 - 83.83

2021 - 84.36

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 in 102 455
Hold on how can you understand seven starters being out for LSU in a non-covered year but with 10 starters opting out for the whole year at UCF you guys get that no credibility. You got to pick an argument and stick with it

What are you even trying to say?

His teams still got worse as more of his recruits came in. The guy was a terrible recruiter at UCF too 7th in the AAC this past year. UCF fans on their forum are glad we took their problem off their hands.

I don’t know if can take that from the class rankings. Scott was there 2016-2017. Their in conference recruiting rankings were:

2013-8
2014-3
2015-3
2016-4
2017-1
2018-2
2019-1
2020-7
2021-4

Their 2020 class is lower ranked, yeah. But the classes before were higher ranked and it’s also followed up by a current number 4 class.

Frost just simply wasn’t there long enough to say he overhauled it. That program had a lot of success under O’Leary, but it was wildly inconsistent. He would follow up 10+ win seasons with a 4 win season, an 11 win season followed by a 5 win season, then finally went 12-1, 9-4, then 0-8 (which got him canned while he was trying to also be the interim AD). I think there’s been talent there all along it just needed to be made sustainable.

So UCF having 10 players opt out last year didn't have anything to do with their record? Everyone keeps saying he got worse every year, so it ok for LSU but not for UCF? They also had a true freshman as QB.
Get out of here with your logic. That doesn’t fit their narrative in this case. I feel like our fans are turning into CNN and twisting any information to fit their agenda.

I’m willing to give JH a chance I’m just expecting a disaster
I know you’re full blown nega vol but yeah let’s get on board and support him until he gives us reasons not to. The guy is a spectacular developer of offensive talent. If we can get the right defensive coordinator and recruiters on staff we could be in for a surprise.

Where did I lie? Before Campbell took over Iowa state was a dump. Fact. Frost was winning at UCF before JH took over, fact. Iowa state plays n a tougher conference than UCF. Fact.

I think people forget that Frost was only there for two years. Frost literally has only had one winning season ever.

UCF
2016- 6-7
2017- 13-0

Nebraska
2018- 4-8
2019- 5-7
2020- 3-5

I’m glad he hasn’t had Frost’s level of success. Again, Frost did not take over a dumpster fire at UCF. That team was only two seasons removed from a 12-1 season in 2013. Reality is that the no win 2015 season was doomed from the start with O’Leary playing both head coach and interim AD and then player injury. They all simply gave up.

I look at trajectories. His teams regressed as time went on. I live in Orlando and believe me nobody here is upset he left. I think he will be a upgrade over Pruitt however
Trajectories arent always accurate because it doesnt count every single variable. If u go from having a veteran team to a very young team there is usually a difference in the W/L column. Those same trajectories could spike over the next 2 years as the team developes. Btw, just because fans in Orlando are not mad he is gone now, doesnt mean they wont be wishing they had him at the end of next year.

Did anyone bother to look at the box score?

Not that this game is indicative of anything anyway

VN Store

Back