UCF vs LSU

Theres something about Heupel that should resonate with every vol fan right now, he’s always been the under dog. But at least he’s got some dog in him. Dude was a D II QB that transferred to Oklahoma and almost won the heisman. The same coach he won a natty for fired his ass to save his brother and then he comes back two years later and has the top offense in the SEC. he did it in the dumpster fire that was Missouri. Idk if y’all remember but Missouri the university and the football program was falling apart over the Michael Brown stuff. He wasn’t the top choice at UCF and he was an outsider who kept what frost did going. That’s near impossible. Nobody at Tennessee wanted heupel. There 7 other coaches I wanted, but were the asses of ass programs right now and we cheated our butts off in the process. Heupel may not be the guy we want but he might be the kind of guy we need right now.

Nobody in their right mind considers Ed O a elite coach. That LSU team was beyond loaded. Also I’m ironically watching breaking bad right now, amazing show

Breaking Bad changed programming forever, best show in the last 30 years. Since you’re a BB fan I’ll forgive you for your negativity for today. But to your point about Orgeron, I didn’t say he was elite. You said he wasn’t a good coach which just isn’t true.

I always Laugh when I see this referenced for supporting our garbage hire. LSU had 12 players out for this game and still won
I always laugh when I see folks that wanted to offer Matt Campbell a blank check pretend they’re more enlightened on coaching hires than the rest of the fan base. Since you like to point out Heupel’s 6 win season in his third year, you do know Campbell fell off in the third year of both his HC stops. He’s never had a 10 win season. How’s he better?
Heupel may s*** the bed, who knows? He’s what we’ve got though and I have no problem with folks finding things to be hopeful about. If you wanna rain on it, at least make an effort to research a little.

I always laugh when I see folks that wanted to offer Matt Campbell a blank check pretend they’re more enlightened on coaching hires than the rest of the fan base. Since you like to point out Heupel’s 6 win season in his third year, you do know Campbell fell off in the third year of both his HC stops. He’s never had a 10 win season. How’s he better?
Heupel may s*** the bed, who knows? He’s what we’ve got though and I have no problem with folks finding things to be hopeful about. If you wanna rain on it, at least make an effort to research a little.
Iowa state was a dumpster before Campbell got there. UCF was winning before JH took over. Campbell plays in a tremendously tougher conference. Apples and oranges.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
I don’t support this hire but I looked it up and it was 7 starters out for LSU, not 12. Also, UCF’s recruiting classes consistently rank around what? 60s? LSU’s were all top 10.
Hold on how can you understand seven starters being out for LSU in a non-covered year but with 10 starters opting out for the whole year at UCF you guys get that no credibility. You got to pick an argument and stick with it

I think it’s fine to have reservations about the hire. I do. I want to see his recruiting evolve and he’s got to implement an identity on defense. He’s the first coach since Kiffin’s staff to have evidence of developing talent. To dismiss his hiring as a garbage hire is just BVS. We could have hired James Franklin and paid a ton a money and more than likely it would be similar results for awhile. I think a lot of fans will be shocked at how long you can hang in games by just scoring an ass ton of points.

You are making some serious assumptions. One, I don't assume he can score "an ass ton of points" here, especially enough to help keep us in games against mid tier SEC teams and higher. Two, I don't know if he can hire a good enough defensive staff to keep us in said games. Three, I don't know that he can recruit at a high enough level to keep us in games.

For the University of Tennessee, Heupel is a garbage hire, especially at this time and on the heels of 3 previous garbage hires (notice a trend?). For Arkansas or Mississippi State, he would be an ok hire.

His teams still got worse as more of his recruits came in. The guy was a terrible recruiter at UCF too 7th in the AAC this past year. UCF fans on their forum are glad we took their problem off their hands.
His recruiting classes were better then what Frost brought in. I think u are forgetting that UCF aint a traditional football powerhouse. They dont get to reload every year becuase they aint getting plug and play guys. I understand you are looking at the record but the reality of the situation is he had his most losses with his youngest team. That's how u lose three 1 possession games. His 1st year he had 45 guys on the 2-deep that had been there 3 or more years. His 2nd year he had 38 guys who had been there 3 or more years. This last season he had less then 30 which means they were playing alot more young guys. That's just part of the development process. U acting like he went 4-6

His recruiting classes were better then what Frost brought in. I think u are forgetting that UCF aint a traditional football powerhouse. They dont get to reload every year becuase they aint getting plug and play guys. I understand you are looking at the record but the reality of the situation is he had his most losses with his youngest team. That's how u lose three 1 possession games. His 1st year he had 45 guys on the 2-deep that had been there 3 or more years. His 2nd year he had 38 guys who had been there 3 or more years. This last season he had less then 30 which means they were playing alot more young guys. That's just part of the development process. U acting like he went 4-6
I look at trajectories. His teams regressed as time went on. I live in Orlando and believe me nobody here is upset he left. I think he will be a upgrade over Pruitt however

Where did I lie? Before Campbell took over Iowa state was a dump. Fact. Frost was winning at UCF before JH took over, fact. Iowa state plays n a tougher conference than UCF. Fact.
Apples and oranges? ACC play ACC teams. SEC teams play SEC teams etc. Campbell fell off 3 years into each of his stops.
No one accused you of dishonesty, I called your argument bulls**t and it is. You go overboard trying to discredit the hire as much as some do trying to justify it.

I’m willing to give JH a chance I’m just expecting a disaster

How noble of you. Willing to give him a chance, but have already declared him garbage. Guy has averaged close to 500 ypg for most of a decade, at multiple schools. But he's garbage. It's not CJH that will drive me away from VolNation, it's so-called fans.

Bottom line the guy is Tennessee New Head coach period!!

Should have, could have, bla, bla means nothing now, it is over, get a life and get behind our new coach and team and see what they can accomplish. This guy is light years ahead of Pruitt that is for certain.

I'm not going to lie to myself, as some of you are doing. With each hire, some of you sheep say the same damn thing each time and I guess you don't do enough self reflection to see it, but Pruitt was light years ahead of Brick Layer. Brick Layer was light years ahead of Doolander. Enough is enough. I'm embarrassed for some of you. Stop the coach worship at least until he has done something worthy of being praised.

This guy is a HUGE risk and question mark. The most likely scenario is that he flames out here, like our past 3 losers.

Reactions: Berry4Heisman14
Apples and oranges? ACC play ACC teams. SEC teams play SEC teams etc. Campbell fell off 3 years into each of his stops.
No one accused you of dishonesty, I called your argument bulls**t and it is. You go overboard trying to discredit the hire as much as some do trying to justify it.
Matt Campbell has been a winner everywhere he has gone including at Toledo. He went 3-9 his first season at Iowa state then improved tremendously the next 2 years. Then last year had his best season at Iowa state, played in the conference championship game, played OU tough, and lost one conference game in a tough conference at Iowa freaking state. UCF would have had a losing record last season with their schedule. If JH led UCF was giving up 500YPG last season in the AAC imagine what would happen in a actual decent conference.

How noble of you. Willing to give him a chance, but have already declared him garbage. Guy has averaged close to 500 ypg for most of a decade, at multiple schools. But he's garbage. It's not CJH that will drive me away from VolNation, it's so-called fans.
His defense gave up 500YPG last season, you didn’t mention that. If being a true fan means pretending every hire is good then I’m not sure what to tell you.

UCF was not even onthe map until Daunte Culpepper played there. They have built something from nothing in about 25 years. Give that school credit.

With fans like this, is it any wonder the Admin continues to roll out these McDonald's type hires? Goodness sakes.

Yep. They feed our fan base the same crap over and over again and they buy it. So why change?

These guys want to pump Heupel's time at Mizzu, with a NFL QB, he had an offensive efficiency rating (which takes into account defensive strength) that ranked 60th in 2016 and 22nd in 2017.

For comparison, ironically Jim Chaney in 2012 had our offense ranked 22nd, and we were 4-7 and ran Dooley out of town. So all these guys claiming at least we will be fun to watch...were probably yelling for Dooley to be fired in 2012 even though we were supposedly "fun to watch".

Like I say, getting beat 55-35 isn't more exciting than getting beat 35-15. Winning is exciting.

You’re a fool if you’re under the assumption SEC backups automatically are better than starters on other teams in every single scenario.
So what UCF was on their 3rd QB for that year. Is JH a good hire? I don't know, he's yet to do anything here but to discount what he was up against is ignorant. You're upset, I get it but who's fault do you think all of this is? I'm not talking about fans but where do you think all of these issues began

VN Store

Back