UCF quarterback Quadry Jones discusses playing in Josh Heupel's offense

One game? Oh wow that really hammers your point (whatever it is) home.

Lol one game?
UCFYEG.png

Honestly BOT, one would think that by now you'd have at least learned to do a cursory internet search before posting.

SMH.

Lol one game?
UCFYEG.png

Honestly BOT, one would think that by now you'd have at least learned to do a cursory internet search before posting.

SMH.

Defense is irrelevant in college football now though. That’s what most say. So who cares how many yards a team gives up? Bama gave up almost 700 to Ole Miss last year.

Defense is irrelevant in college football now though. That’s what most say. So who cares how many yards a team gives up? Bama gave up almost 700 to Ole Miss last year.
Ole miss went 5-5 by not caring about defenes, and Nick Saban is still playing defense in spite of the game being titled towards offense.
ALYEG.png

That's what Alabama gave up each game.

Reactions: LittleVol
Good post but your last line is the one that really matters.

Our coaching search was yet another example of how far we've fallen as a program. Heupel was literally the best we could get. Despite that, he's still a huge improvement over Pruitt.

If given the choice of ANY coach, I wouldn't have picked Heupel. If given the choice between Heupel and Pruitt, I'll pick Josh all day long. Thanks to Fulmer's buffoonery, those were essentially our 2 options and, once again, I'll be cautiously optimistic that we've finally hired someone at least marginally decent. 6-7 wins, actually scoring some points against Bama, UF, UGA and running a clean program is a huge step in the right direction at this point and I think Heupel can at least deliver that much.
Personally, I think it was strategic and a value assessment. For $7 or $8 million... maybe more... UT might have been able to bring in one of the handful of "big names" mentioned. They would have wanted guaranteed years and a HUGE buyout. And honestly, if Heupel's chance of succeeding and eventually competing in the top of the SEC is 20%... that big name gets you maybe 30% considering the starting point.

If Heupel works out, White looks brilliant. If he doesn't then Heupel is comparatively cheap to dump in 3 or 4 years when UT will be in a better position financially and probably program stability to make a run at a "name" coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chippo
cfbstats.com - 2019 National Team Leaders

Someone is wrong. It isn't necessarily either of us.

ESPN seems to agree with my source:

2019 College Football Team Total Defense Stats | ESPN
The answer is he is wrong. I just went to look at the box scores from each game from UCF's website and came up with 337.15, which is far closer to the 344-346 the other two sites had in comparison to the 433.7 number that the NCAA came up with. My only guess they either don't count negative plays against the offense, or they do count yardage "gained" on penalty plays. Like throwing a 50 yard pass but getting called for holding, yet still counting the yardage.

In total yards, ESPN has 4138 (12 games not including the bowl game. If you include that, it is exactly the same as CFB Stats), CFB Stats has 4499 and I had 4383. I seemingly just put a number, but mine is fairly close to the CFB stats and ESPN. NCAA stats has total yards at 5638. No idea how they arrived at that number, but it is pretty clearly wrong. Regardless of any of that, their scoring defense was 41st and 36th his first two years. It certainly dropped a lot last year, but I'm not sure why any of this matters, as that defensive coordinator and most of that defensive staff is gone except for the one guy that has had success in the SEC and at Tennessee.

The defense most likely won't be very good this year, but they just need to hold their own as best they can. The offense needs to pick up the slack. There's no way to discredit his offense though. His last 4 offenses had finished no worse that 14th, 3 in the top 8. As long as the defense isn't giving up a ton of points like last year's UCF team, then the offense can lead to a lot of wins.

Reactions: sjt18
Honeymoon prolly ended already on that board after he started yapping about how all the other receivers sucked. 😏

Lmao Its a different vibe at UCF. Brandon is a captain and a starter.. UCF wr's are better and a top 5 QB. No need for yapping.

Lmao why yall mad im just telling yall what they be saying.
Uncle Greazy.

I just want to say I understand WHY you resent Heupel. He recruited your nephew to transfer to UCF and sold him on putting up big stats and getting his name on a NFL radar by deciding to do that.
Only to leave...and not only leave, but to do to the school that he recruited Brandon away from. That's really tough man.
Brandon will have a similar year as he's had at UT. Malzahn is not a big passing game guy.

I'm sorry for Brandon.

Lmao Its a different vibe at UCF. Brandon is a captain and a starter.. UCF wr's are better and a top 5 QB. No need for yapping.
It was never NEEDED also never stopped you. First time Gilbert doesn’t throw Brandon’s way?

Just wanted to validate that Brandon was one of my favorite receivers. I trusted that he would catch the ball when thrown to him.
He will be missed and I wish he was back at TN.

I absolutely hate that he ended up with Malzahn ... when he thought he was getting Heupel.

Now, unfortunately, that is a real part of life. The boss who hired me (loved him), left ... then there was a new boss ... and then there was the next new boss after him ... it happens.
We make the best of our situation or we change our situation.
I hope Brandon has an incredible year. Best regards to the family.

We just fired a “defensive guru”. Maybe it is time for some track meets. At least watching us won’t be like going to the dentist. Aren’t we all ready to have some fun watching Tn football? How long has that been? I remember bb teams from O’Neill that were brutal to watch. These last few football years have been miserable to watch. I propose having some fun and winning later.

I don't have a problem with that. Maybe we can eventually have both. It'd be nice.

Reactions: beamerman and sjt18
That's not quite a fair statement based on 2020. It might be true but it isn't proven. In his 3 years at UCF, they allowed 434 ypg, 346 ypg, and 492 ypg. You could try to argue that he was making improvement then struggled in the Covid year. You could say that 492 is actually representative. But there isn't enough there to establish a trend.

A more important stat tends a little more favorable and supportive of the idea that last year was the anomaly. His scoring D stats over those three years were 22.7 ppg, 23.0 ppg, and 33.2 ppg.

My point is that you can spin it negative or spin it positive... or you can accept it for what it is, realize he will be the HC regardless, and hope for the best.

You make way too much sense for this board. I’m only here for irrational diatribes and people who confuse “their” with “there”

Reactions: KptVFL
Having watched JH for two years at Mizzou I will give you my opinions and some insight. JH cares about Defense, enough he hires someone and doesn't meddle or pretend he has some Head coaching insight into that side of the ball. But with that said the Defense is always going to suffer because that suffering is a by product of the offensive system he runs. It can't be avoided...that is why he was shipped out from OU as well.

I will give you some examples....IN 2015 the year before JH arrived Mizzou fielded the #6 rated total Defense in the Nation. The next year running JH offense our Defense dropped to a #118 in the nation.....now you will probably say well we had a lot of Turnover of players, change of DC etc. etc. ....Nope we returned 9 Starters from that Defense and Our DC from 2015 became our HC. The next year 2017 again with a Much improved high flying offense.....our Defense clocked in at #82. Then JH moved on and with a Change of Offense the Defense Improved to #62 in 2018 with minimal starters returning and then to #14 2019.

Now with that said total Defense isn't the stat you need to be following....because no matter what a JH team is going to hemorrhage yardage and some points to their opponents....but the stat that you want to look at is how many Points Allowed Per game . Really Points allowed is the only Defensive stat that matters at the end of the day for any defense.Because Yardage doesn't win games, Points win games.

So the question is Can a JH Tenn. defense create enough FIPS.....FUMBLES,INTERCEPTIONS,PENALTIES and Stupidity to keep the opposing offense from Scoring more than Tenn. does. And really the stat that matters is Points allowed versus quality Opponents. Cause those weak non-conference games can really inflate and skew the matter.

Reactions: Rooster1
Those G5 teams still put up 400, 500, 600, even 700+ offensive yards on them, and the majority of them ended the season with losing records to boot.

The game might be tilted towards offense, but you can't completely disregard defense in the SEC.
Uh, how many yards did Georgia State have against us?

Ole miss went 5-5 by not caring about defenes, and Nick Saban is still playing defense in spite of the game being titled towards offense.
ALYEG.png

That's what Alabama gave up each game.
In 2018 Josh heupel’s defense gave up close to what UCF gave up under Scott frost’s final year…… in 2019…. That defense gave up less yards per game then Alabama….. 2020 is a throw out year due to covid….. it doesn’t seem like the UCF defense was that bad.

Personally, I think it was strategic and a value assessment. For $7 or $8 million... maybe more... UT might have been able to bring in one of the handful of "big names" mentioned. They would have wanted guaranteed years and a HUGE buyout. And honestly, if Heupel's chance of succeeding and eventually competing in the top of the SEC is 20%... that big name gets you maybe 30% considering the starting point.

If Heupel works out, White looks brilliant. If he doesn't then Heupel is comparatively cheap to dump in 3 or 4 years when UT will be in a better position financially and probably program stability to make a run at a "name" coach.
Franklin was alleged to have wanted a $90 million, fully guaranteed contract. And you’d still have to put up with James Franklin, if you decided to pay it.

I hate that it’s 23 years since our last SEC championship. But Kentucky had the horses to have beaten us 4 years in a row. We just lost 6 straight SEC games by 10+ points. We will be on probation. Fact is that we have to get firmly in the middle of the pack before a great coach will want the job. Jimbo Fisher jumped to an 8-4 program, not one with a losing record since 2007.

Reactions: sjt18
Uncle Greazy.

I just want to say I understand WHY you resent Heupel. He recruited your nephew to transfer to UCF and sold him on putting up big stats and getting his name on a NFL radar by deciding to do that.
Only to leave...and not only leave, but to do to the school that he recruited Brandon away from. That's really tough man.
Brandon will have a similar year as he's had at UT. Malzahn is not a big passing game guy.

I'm sorry for Brandon.

I'm not down on Huepel. I was just relaying what the fanbase was saying. I don't know much about the guy but I do know he wanted Brandon to shine. I respectfully disagree with u. Brandon role is different with UCF he has way bigger role and the offense is wide open. Yea Gus like to run the ball but he never had a qb that can sling it like Gabriel. Last year offense at Tennessee was a one read offense and Pruitt didn't care for Brandon. It was a tug of war with Chaney and Pruitt. Chaney wanted Brandon out there but Pruitt wanted more speed thats how jones and Hyatt got there shine. Nothing wrong with that Hyatt gonna be a great player. Brandon needed a coach that believe in him and he is getting that with Gus Malzahn. Hell Brandon even made pre season all conference list for this year.

Franklin was alleged to have wanted a $90 million, fully guaranteed contract. And you’d still have to put up with James Franklin, if you decided to pay it.

I hate that it’s 23 years since our last SEC championship. But Kentucky had the horses to have beaten us 4 years in a row. We just lost 6 straight SEC games by 10+ points. We will be on probation. Fact is that we have to get firmly in the middle of the pack before a great coach will want the job. Jimbo Fisher jumped to an 8-4 program, not one with a losing record since 2007.
Agreed. If the NCAA penalties are as manageable as rumored then that might be sooner rather than later.

In the meantime, you take a chance with a guy with some things going for him. AD White knows Heupel so there's already a working rapport. Heupel is a high character guy unlikely to make your NCAA issues worse. He comes in preaching culture which hopefully means that if he must be replaced the next guy won't have to deal with those issues.

On the football side, he's supposedly one of the better O minds in CFB. At minimum, he's producing some pretty obscene stats which have only gotten better as he had more freedom to do what he wanted. The word coming from recruits and players is that they like and respect him and his staff. He seems to be on the front end of innovation when it comes to the portal. UT has lost players many likely due to the investigation. UT has been able to get what looks like quality players to replace them. Personally, I am surprised at how positive the "buzz" has been from recruits after visiting UT and the new staff. If not for the NCAA cloud, they might have shocked a lot of people in recruiting.

I'm a person who has learned through experience that good leadership and a positive culture where guys trust, believe in, and support one another is a powerful talent multiplier. I can't go into the throes of woe over the guys who are gone because I don't know what part they played in the toxic, corrupt culture that existed. I do know that I have fired guys who were among the most talented and experienced and even respected (by some) in my business largely for being a negative influence on culture. Every single time... the team got better. A lot better. People whose talent had been underestimated became leaders and great performers. So... I am neither optimistic or pessimistic. I am choosing to "HOPE".

Agreed. If the NCAA penalties are as manageable as rumored then that might be sooner rather than later.

In the meantime, you take a chance with a guy with some things going for him. AD White knows Heupel so there's already a working rapport. Heupel is a high character guy unlikely to make your NCAA issues worse. He comes in preaching culture which hopefully means that if he must be replaced the next guy won't have to deal with those issues.

On the football side, he's supposedly one of the better O minds in CFB. At minimum, he's producing some pretty obscene stats which have only gotten better as he had more freedom to do what he wanted. The word coming from recruits and players is that they like and respect him and his staff. He seems to be on the front end of innovation when it comes to the portal. UT has lost players many likely due to the investigation. UT has been able to get what looks like quality players to replace them. Personally, I am surprised at how positive the "buzz" has been from recruits after visiting UT and the new staff. If not for the NCAA cloud, they might have shocked a lot of people in recruiting.

I'm a person who has learned through experience that good leadership and a positive culture where guys trust, believe in, and support one another is a powerful talent multiplier. I can't go into the throes of woe over the guys who are gone because I don't know what part they played in the toxic, corrupt culture that existed. I do know that I have fired guys who were among the most talented and experienced and even respected (by some) in my business largely for being a negative influence on culture. Every single time... the team got better. A lot better. People whose talent had been underestimated became leaders and great performers. So... I am neither optimistic or pessimistic. I am choosing to "HOPE".
I’m no sunshine pumper but CJH may be a more mature version of Kiffin. And if so, he’ll be the best coach we’ve had since Fulmer. Start there.

Reactions: KptVFL

VN Store

Back