UAW On Strike

Of course, UPS is laying off 12,000 and closed a sort facility in Louisville right after signing a new contract where drivers now make $170,000 in their pay and benefits package. Will be interesting to see their next moves.

Caught a quick blurb about Fords Louisville truck plant threatening to go out on strike again. I don’t know what this one is about but my goodness talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Of course, UPS is laying off 12,000 and closed a sort facility in Louisville right after signing a new contract where drivers now make $170,000 in their pay and benefits package. Will be interesting to see their next moves.
They are laying off 12k in supervision, non-union employees. Package drivers do not make $170k in total compensation. They top out at $49/hour over the next 5 years, so none even make that hourly wage yet. Feeder drivers are the only ones who can get close to that, but still do not make that much in TC.

Reactions: Vol737
They are laying off 12k in supervision, non-union employees. Package drivers do not make $170k in total compensation. They top out at $49/hour over the next 5 years, so none even make that hourly wage yet. Feeder drivers are the only ones who can get close to that, but still do not make that much in TC.
Doesn't really matter. The increase in union pay will be offset in pay elsewhere. That's the dirty truth. Maybe not all. But most. And maybe not the union folks. But others. Companies exist to return shareholder value. That's it. The things they do "for employees" is actually for investors. Turnover reduction costs etc.. And that's how it should be. Vast majority of stock owners are institutional investors. Vanguard etc. Helping people retire with their 401 k or pension investments. You hate corporate profits? You hate teachers retiring

Reactions: McDad
Doesn't really matter. The increase in union pay will be offset in pay elsewhere. That's the dirty truth. Maybe not all. But most. And maybe not the union folks. But others. Companies exist to return shareholder value. That's it. The things they do "for employees" is actually for investors. Turnover reduction costs etc.. And that's how it should be. Vast majority of stock owners are institutional investors. Vanguard etc. Helping people retire with their 401 k or pension investments. You hate corporate profits? You hate teachers retiring
That was my point management gets the axe for higher wages paid to union employees. But the idea they're making $170k a year now is untrue. Everything matters.

That was my point management gets the axe for higher wages paid to union employees. But the idea they're making $170k a year now is untrue. Everything matters.
I read several articles quoting that figure, but it didn’t delineate between the delivery drivers or truck drivers. Per usual, the media generally gets it wrong on the details. Why are they quoting that figure? It did seem like a high number when I read it, but then found it again in other media releases.

I read several articles quoting that figure, but it didn’t delineate between the delivery drivers or truck drivers. Per usual, the media generally gets it wrong on the details. Why are they quoting that figure? It did seem like a high number when I read it, but then found it again in other media releases.
I think for a lot of msm now it's all about shock value. Seeing a figure like that seems out of place so it will get clicks.

AIR The $170K was all in, retirement, insurance, and additional benefits. The W-2 was ~$110-$120K due to lots of overtime (seems like there was a stupid number (400?) of hours paid in December) and would not be obtained for a few years.

Reactions: Vol737
huge short sighted problem imo…particular for old industry trying to keep up with the tech Joneses.

Rumor has it UPS laid off 14,000 yesterday/today and announced plans to cut 86,000 more people and close around 200 centers over the next year.

Good job Teamsters.

VN Store

Back