Tyler Summitt Has a New Gig.

Tyler IS NOT hired to be an assistant coach. School (yesterday) says assistants have not been hired yet and Tyler HAS NOT applied. Says that there was miscommunication when his wife said he would assist her. Does not mean he is an “assistant” coach.

FWIW, I think Tyler has been shamed sufficiently for a lifetime. He can't escape his mom's name and legacy (which gave him a coaching leg up in many ways). That said, his mistake had long term repercussions for his former wife, his current wife, his former players and school, and his supporters. IMO, he'd be bettet served if he just left the coaching to his wife and just helped her off the court with advice. He could find another job where his organizational skills can be used in a productive career. He doesn't need the money.

At least his mistake was with a college-age adult and he didn't face criminal charges, lifelong supervision and restrictions, jail time, etc. which all would have been real possibilities if she had been just a couple of years younger and still in high school.

In essence, let him off with time served but with the coaching door closed. Yes, other high-profile coaches have done similar things and remained in coaching, but usually not with players directly under tbeir authority. And parents might understandably be concerned about having impressionable minors under his influence (and, as someone pointed out, it's not far-fetched to think that some of them may be interested in a romance with an older guy in his twenties).

If if, ands, and buts were candy and nuts we would all have a good Christmas.

Mental is the point

Absolutely.

My point was about attraction. A young male attracted to an 18-year-old college frosh female isn't going to automaticaly make the distinction that would identify her as a "young woman" while identifying a 17-year-old high school senior as a "little girl." A lot of fashion models are underage when they begin their careers, yet their images present tbem as sexually-attractive young women.

That wouldn't excuse any transgressions by someone taking advantage of minors. It's just acknowledging physical facts. Legally, a line has to be drawn somewhere. But I guarantee that most college males wouldn't consider themselves "pedophiles" if they were attracted to an attractive young lady on campus only to find out that said young lady wouldn't turn 18 for another month. They wouldn't suddenly see the young lady as a "little girl" who is mentally immature.

I was only 20 when finishing college and doing student teaching. I had several 17- and 18-year old students flirting with me, asking me out, handing me their phone number and asking me to be their prom date. Mentally, I regarded them as off-limits and saw them as students. But if they had been fellow college students, that mental barrier wouldn't have existed.

Very rarely in local cases, we've seen very young (early twenties) male teachers become involved with older (17-18) students. Criminally and professionally wrong. But the usual thing is for much older male teachers (mid-thirties up to sixties) teachers and coaches involved with even younger females. Those are the situations that seem to be clearly a case of pedophiles vs. foolishness of letting the wrong part of the anatomy do the thinking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smallvol#1
I guess that is the difference in our society as a black man I have to look at my decisions a lot closer to avoid misunderstandings if I make a mistake I will pay for it forever where fairer skinned people can make those same mistakes and go home. So hell yes you got to know, so whip out that ID if there is a little possibility of of being under age. Pedophiles don’t think they follow some sick drive that is how they include a teen as a sexual partner

Agree with that. Even if pedophiles know, they either don't care or it's their preference.

Anyway, everyone would be better off if Tyler weren't placed in that situation just for sake of propriety. Sounds as though the news of him working directly as an assistant may have been been premature.

Guess it's a positive that they got married, and maybe it wasn't just a fling and they'll last. Hope his ex-wife has found happiness elsewhere and has received substantial financial compensation.

Reactions: Smallvol#1

VN Store

Back