Tyler Summitt Has a New Gig.

I think the real issue most people have is paying a state/university pension of a 60+ woman to a 24 year old for life. I know a lot of pensions paid; most end at drawer’s death or, at best, half amount to surviving spouse (and usually the drawer has taken a smaller draw for that choice). If no spouse there are some which might cover children, minor children, disabled, children etc. A lot of variables exist, but the choice to leave full payout to a child for life is very rare. I don’t blame Tyler; it is legally his. I never blamed PF for taking his buyout; it was legally his. I do have serious reservations about the way pensions for political/university are drafted. Don’t get me started at the federal level!

Whatever the reasons. Tyler did not write the rules and no one else that is currently getting the same pension wrote them so why blame Tyler. His mother could have really gotten paid more if she wanted it. Her tenure, considering her greatness was a discount for the state. And now we want to shut if off for Tyler. No loyalty to the wishes of a great woman. Haters are everywhere

All you great people with NO sin, please cast the first stone at Tyler. Its amazing reading these posts. What have we become as a society?

By accident of birth, the young Mr. Summitt is a very minor public figure, of interest to those whose lives and minds are, one may assume, not occupied by matters of any real import.

He has neither given me any pleasure, nor done me any harm. As with any stranger, I wish him well. Benign indifference is more comfortable than vitriol.

Reactions: Remy
All you great people with NO sin, please cast the first stone at Tyler. Its amazing reading these posts. What have we become as a society?
IMO there's a huge difference in personally judging or casting stones at Tyler, and being on board with his being once again put in a position of power over young women. There are some things which once abused, do not allow for second chances in that particular field. Would you put your kid on a school bus driven by that guy once convicted of driving the bus while drunk? I wish Tyler all the best but he should stick with Pat's foundation.

On a practical level, I am beyond amazed that any school board anywhere agreed to this. I can see their risk manager curled in a fetal position under their desk.

You missed the point. Animosity, close minded, so many ugly traits. Communication is difficult. People so often only “hear” what they want to hear.

No, I didn't miss the point. I apologize for not being more clear. I appreciate the points you were making. Just trying to clarify a bit.

And the animosity comment was not directed at you! You are so correct - people hear what they want to hear.

IMO there's a huge difference in personally judging or casting stones at Tyler, and being on board with his being once again put in a position of power over young women. There are some things which once abused, do not allow for second chances in that particular field. Would you put your kid on a school bus driven by that guy once convicted of driving the bus while drunk? I wish Tyler all the best but he should stick with Pat's foundation.

On a practical level, I am beyond amazed that any school board anywhere agreed to this. I can see their risk manager curled in a fetal position under their desk.

So you are saying he could/has not changed or learned from past mistakes?

So you are saying he could/has not changed or learned from past mistakes?
Nope, not saying that at all. Not for me to judge whether he's changed, learned, etc.

But he should not be put in a position of power over young women again IMO. He burned that bridge, and some bridges actually do not get a second chance at rebuilding.

No, I didn't miss the point. I apologize for not being more clear. I appreciate the points you were making. Just trying to clarify a bit.

And the animosity comment was not directed at you! You are so correct - people hear what they want to hear.

Thanks, I wondered if it was directed at me and hoped it wasn’t. I appreciate your response.

I was trying to give perspective to the “stealing” comment. He isn’t, doesn’t necessarily make the system “right”, but it is most definitely legal. People often jump on “right” and forget “legal”. Two very different things.

I don’t approve of the way the pension is set up as to fairness to taxpayers/general public. Tyler has every right to take advantage of what is legally his. He’s not the only one benefiting from such, so why jump him over it?

I can see both sides (I don’t mean the vitriol). I just wish people could discuss, or even debate, with more courtesy.

Must admit, as a mother of an athlete, I am more inclined to agree with @BowlBrother85 . I would have been very uneasy with Tyler coaching my high school aged daughter. That is a specific type job description, working with girls/young women in a position of authority. There are many other job opportunities to which I believe he should be given the same chance as anyone else.

Communication. So little comprehension as to words - so much as to tone, inflection, body movement, volume...

Sometimes it is impossible to really “hear” what another is “saying”, even when we are there.🙁

I’ve tried🙂🍊.

And, yes, @glv98, as an HR Director, I would be “curled up under my desk”, waiting for my Employment Law attorney to return my (frantic) call😄.

I tend to think the Tyler Summitt coaching thing in the same way I think about air travel for those a little bit afraid to fly. The safest airline to fly on is usually the last one to have experienced a devastating crash because they are on hyper-alert and are working double-time to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

Tyler had already lost so very much before he made his worst personal mistake ever, which is what caused the stress that caused his mistake in the first place. And then THAT mistake took the career he’d dreamed of having his entire life. And then, to top it all off, his mother, his rock, his personal hero, died too young. It was all too much to bear, and he had to bear it all while simultaneously being shamed by strangers for having experienced a common human failing.

So do I think Tyler Summitt would be a risk of making such a mistake again? I’d bet my life savings that he wouldn’t.

Reactions: OldNSlow
Nobody is wanting to stone him to death (I think). But to give him some authority over even younger, more vulnerable girls who may or may not be that innocent themselves, is probably not a good idea.

I tend to think the Tyler Summitt coaching thing in the same way I think about air travel for those a little bit afraid to fly. The safest airline to fly on is usually the last one to have experienced a devastating crash because they are on hyper-alert and are working double-time to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

Tyler had already lost so very much before he made his worst personal mistake ever, which is what caused the stress that caused his mistake in the first place. And then THAT mistake took the career he’d dreamed of having his entire life. And then, to top it all off, his mother, his rock, his personal hero, died too young. It was all too much to bear, and he had to bear it all while simultaneously being shamed by strangers for having experienced a common human failing.

So do I think Tyler Summitt would be a risk of making such a mistake again? I’d bet my life savings that he wouldn’t.
You would be OK with your daughter being coached by him? I think, to the girls, just knowing what he did would be a distraction.

Reactions: T_Vol376
You would be OK with your daughter being coached by him? I think, to the girls, just knowing what he did would be a distraction.

I would. Good people learn from mistakes and do not repeat them. So do you think he is not a good person? A criminal?

I believe Tyler made a big mistake but unlike most he owned it. Now he is trying to move forward in his life and all these saints want him to burn. If you have never made a mistake or committed a sin as defined by the Bible then you have the right to say your piece. However let GOD judge this young man. All of these girls were adults weren’t they so give the young man a break.

I would. Good people learn from mistakes and do not repeat them. So do you think he is not a good person? A criminal?

Basketball is basketball. Its not like he is banned from the sport, just the ladies side. If is is any good he can coach any mens team in the country. Or, does he only specialize in women basketball?

Reactions: T_Vol376 and Cees
FWIW, I think Tyler has been shamed sufficiently for a lifetime. He can't escape his mom's name and legacy (which gave him a coaching leg up in many ways). That said, his mistake had long term repercussions for his former wife, his current wife, his former players and school, and his supporters. IMO, he'd be bettet served if he just left the coaching to his wife and just helped her off the court with advice. He could find another job where his organizational skills can be used in a productive career. He doesn't need the money.

At least his mistake was with a college-age adult and he didn't face criminal charges, lifelong supervision and restrictions, jail time, etc. which all would have been real possibilities if she had been just a couple of years younger and still in high school.

In essence, let him off with time served but with the coaching door closed. Yes, other high-profile coaches have done similar things and remained in coaching, but usually not with players directly under tbeir authority. And parents might understandably be concerned about having impressionable minors under his influence (and, as someone pointed out, it's not far-fetched to think that some of them may be interested in a romance with an older guy in his twenties).

I don't know him well enough to make that call. But I don't think I would want my daughter to be the test. And I don't think I should be putting someone else's daughter in that position.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
I believe Tyler made a big mistake but unlike most he owned it. Now he is trying to move forward in his life and all these saints want him to burn. If you have never made a mistake or committed a sin as defined by the Bible then you have the right to say your piece. However let GOD judge this young man. All of these girls were adults weren’t they so give the young man a break.
Where he is going to coach now they are not adults.

VN Store

Back