Tyler Smith Asks For Release From Loi

contracts get broke all the time and there are penalties

and if you want to break a letter of intent then the penalty is to sit out a year

Right-on Red Neck Dave! If he signed it that settles it. This is very interesting how so many want to give Tyler a release. That goes to show you how far we have come in the world regarding integrity. Our words and our contracts mean nothing and many think its not bad to not honor your words or even a signed contract. It is true what a wise man once said, We judge others by thier actions and ourselves by our intentions.

whats the point of the LOI if all someone has to do to get out of it is to whine

and this crap that Tyler's dad is sayin about UT giving him the release and he will go play at a prep school is ridiculous

if he is given the release anyone honestly think he will not go to another Div I school or possibly an SEC (probably florida) school?

Pearl is right not releasing him

the rules arent being made up on the spot and no one is hiding the rules from Smith

Well JMO but Buzz Peterson had a contract, and it binded the university with him. His wins and losses aside, Ut did not honor that contract, but guess what, there was a higher power at work, and the University gets to use it whenever they wish, its called money. So anymore contracts mean very little in the business world but the ones that have the money expect those without it to abide by their committments. This is not a situation of a ballplayer just changing his mind to transfer because he did not like UT, the person that recruited him and made a whole lot of promises is not there anymore. So I dont think integrity should be an issue, if so Buzz would still be the coach, or even perhaps Jerry G.

Originally posted by redneckdave@Apr 20, 2005 3:06 PM
maybe the smiths should donate a bunch of money to the VASF and UT might let him out of his contract

:lol: :lol: :dlol:

Hmm, Tyler Smith arena. Has a ring to it doesnt it? ;) I wonder how he feel when His team came to play UT in "his" arena. B)

yeah i think its funny too but you said it was money that UT used to get what it wanted Maybe the same could work for the Smith's

But seriously if he doesnt want to come to UT then thats fine with me i couldnt care less but no one forced him to sign the LOI and the rules of the LOI are stated clearly on it

and whatever Bruce "the Phoenix" Pearl does he has 110% of my support

Im just glad we have basketball back at UT

GO BRUCE

Well we all know that the schools have money and they use it to buy coaches out of their contracts. I just dont think it is fair in these situations that the university's have buyout clauses but the kids are stuck.

And as far as Bruce Pearl is concerned, I like him and hope his words turn into actions. If so UT better better chain him up to Smokeys doghouse or else other schools will be calling.

I say let him go. For me, there's nothing worse than watching a player play crappy because he doesn't wanna be where he's at. And Pearl cannot make him peform.

And basketball is not yet back at UT. I think Pearl's next season will look similar to a Buzz season, and it will take a year or two before things really start to shape up. The Vols basketball program is really in a bad shape right now. Pearl will not be able to fix things with the snap of a finger.

Originally posted by milohimself@Apr 20, 2005 5:44 PM
I say let him go. For me, there's nothing worse than watching a player play crappy because he doesn't wanna be where he's at. And Pearl cannot make him peform.

And basketball is not yet back at UT. I think Pearl's next season will look similar to a Buzz season, and it will take a year or two before things really start to shape up. The Vols basketball program is really in a bad shape right now. Pearl will not be able to fix things with the snap of a finger.

The thing is, if he plays crappy he will be benched. So that might be a good thing to happen. I hope that we dont release him. He's a grown up and he cant back out of his LOI

Make due. I don't want to see disgruntled players. I want to see players that are motivated to do well for their coach and their school. It's obvious Smith will not get that motivation, so just forget about him. I hate to admit it, but for highly recruited high school players, they really do have a lot of control over the situation.

Originally posted by milohimself@Apr 20, 2005 8:35 PM
Make due. I don't want to see disgruntled players. I want to see players that are motivated to do well for their coach and their school. It's obvious Smith will not get that motivation, so just forget about him. I hate to admit it, but for highly recruited high school players, they really do have a lot of control over the situation.

his dad has all the control, and Pearl is stopping that :cross:

It's all ultimately up to him, though. If Tyler himself doesn't want to play, don't make him.

Originally posted by milohimself@Apr 20, 2005 8:42 PM
It's all ultimately up to him, though. If Tyler himself doesn't want to play, don't make him.

we wont make him play, we'll make him sit

Even suit up for the game. I would much rather see a mediocre player with desire to win playing than a stud who plays bad because he doesn't wanna be where he is. It's bad for the program.

if he plays crappy because he doesnt wanna be there...wont that make him develop bad habits ..and then NO ONE will be tryin to get him to come to their school.

Rule 1 in recruiting - commit to a school not the coach.
If you can't do that then you deserve what happens. This has nothing to do with Tyler its about a DAD that is trying to use his son and blackmail a University.
The LOI is tells you what it is before you sign it, if you don't read it and sign it anyway the TOUGH! Honor your word or pay the price.

Didn't say he shouldn't get a penalty... He can leave if he wants to, but he will have to pay the price.

VN Store

Back