Tyler Smith Asks For Release From Loi

You sign to play for the school regardless of who the coach is. The school pays for your education. You have to consider that before you sign. Otherwise, atheletes would change schools more often than their underwear. :banghead:

From what I just read, Pearl didn't let Smith out of his LOI. His father says that he will be attending a prep school next year.

Like TNVOLS1 said, his dad is running the show. His dad is trying to make it seem like it was Tyler's choice when it was really more of his fathers.

His father seems like a real piece of work.

We also lost Antanas Kavaliauskas as he signed with Texas A&M today.

Tough day for the basketball team, but I think Bruce will have a good recruiting year next year..

Originally posted by volmanbill@Apr 19, 2005 10:31 PM
You sign to play for the school regardless of who the coach is. The school pays for your education. You have to consider that before you sign. Otherwise, atheletes would change schools more often than their underwear. :banghead:

:welcome:

like someone said a while ago..We invested in him and we could have been out lookin for another recruit and now, theres like no time left. I really wish he woulda came to tennessee..But i think in the long run he'll see he made a mistake. JUST like Jamont. :furious3:

This is not surprising. I mean even at UW-Milwaukee all of the recruits Pearl got in for next year have asked out of their scholarship. It is going to take 2 years to get going here do to all of the negativity surrounding the program. It will happen because Pearl will make it happen. Let's just be patient and rally behind the players that do want to be here. Go Vols!!!

i agree..I'm really tired of all the recruit talk..lets just see what pearl does with these guys that we have now that want to work and be apart of somethin..i and alot of people is ognna be special.

One last comment on this Tyler Smith thing. Pearl is gaining immediate credibility with his returning players, which will be key in the grand scheme of things. This is his show now and he is letting it be known that some ego-maniac father is not going to call the shots. Benson wasn't his guy and just like any other major school that had a coaching change, Benson would not have been retained. Pearl is a stand up guy and I believe by sticking to his guns it will provide more value to his team then bringing in a kid that probably doesn't change much for next year. Next year and the year after is what this is all about.

You can respect a man who will rise and fall on his own terms. Good for Coach Pearl, and good for UT backing him up.

I'm glad to see the denial. One of you guys up there was right on point. There are too many fathers who try to act like de-facto agents. If a coach capitulates to this type of self-interested, extortive behavior, he will lose credibility. Not just with present players, but future recruits.

Looking at the syllabus for Vol 101, here. Lesson 1: Keep your word. In my humble opinion, this is an excellent beginning to the decision-making process.

The dad-agent phenomenon is becoming more frequent, too. Anyone remember a QB recruit whose father suddenly envisioned himself in a position to dictate terms to Fulmer? haha. Though there may be a trend of this taking place in overall recruiting, it looks like the UT athletic department has the right recipe for dealing with it.

:machinegun:

Screw Tyler Smith and his Daddy!!!! Billy Smith acts more like the kid's Agent than his father.

Hey Tyler and Poppa Agent Smith, you have it all bass-ackward.....you sign with a University, not with a coach. This is College, not the NBA or NBDL.

It looks like Tyler wouldn't have been much of a student anyway, by the way they are behaving.

<<< "I plan to honor the scholarships that were given to all three of the young men (Matthew Dotson, Damion Harris and Smith) before I got here,&#39;&#39; [Bruce Pearl].

&#39;&#39;We&#39;re going to wait and not say much to the media until tomorrow, and then Tyler will explain why he&#39;s chosen not to attend to the University of Tennessee,&#39;&#39; Billy Smith said. The Tennessean, 4/20/05>>>

So however Billy Smith decides to spin it, Pearl honored an agreement made by the previous administration. It is Smith who wants to weasel out of a binding agreement that he signed.

Good luck at Coastal Carolina, chump&#33;&#33;

:shakeit:

Well, after this, I doubt Smith would do any good anyways. He&#39;d probably play crappy for us out of the gate and transfer asap. And from your reactions, I doubt the fans would like him too much anyways. Let him go.

Originally posted by milohimself@Apr 20, 2005 10:42 AM
Well, after this, I doubt Smith would do any good anyways. He&#39;d probably play crappy for us out of the gate and transfer asap. And from your reactions, I doubt the fans would like him too much anyways. Let him go.

I was planning on making some kind of sign for the first game.... :censored:

This situation represents all the bad that is involved in College Basketball recruiting. It appears that many local AAU programs are just a front for many college programs and the rest are little kingdoms run by local mafioso-type-Dons who think way too highly of themselves or parents that act the same way. They pimp these kids in hopes of making money when it comes time to "get thier kids connected". Pearl knows the game and he is not going to play it. If we play thier game then the AAU will be running college BB and Tennessee becomes thier addicted "John" always "Jonesing"for the AAU recruit and bowing down to the Pimp who always has the cell to his ear making the deals for the "hiest "bidder. I would rather see Bruce Pearl field a team of local non-stars than to bow down to the thugs that run alot of these programs...JMO. IMO Pearl has some big Pearls and if anybody is going to be the pimp daddy it will be Him. At least with Pearl when you wake up in the morning you will still respect yourself.

I&#39;ve heard rumors that it is not the coaching change, but academics and test scores that are driving smith away.

Originally posted by volmanjr@Apr 20, 2005 12:55 PM
I&#39;ve heard rumors that it is not the coaching change, but academics and test scores that are driving smith away.

That and his father "pointing out the postive&#39;s and negative&#39;s."

I think it is sad how all of you are all over an 18 year old kid for wanting to go elsewhere. He was recruited by Buzz and developed a good friendship with him. I do not blame him for wanting out, I&#39;m sure he was promised Buzz would be there before he signed his LOI. He has a ton of talent and I wish him luck wherever he goes. I wish it would have worked out for him to wear the orange though.

I was worried that firing Buzz would wreck a critical recruiting class in a year that there was a lot of in-state talent to be had. Now, we&#39;re back to square one with the Vols. I hope you guys are right about Pearl being the man.

Relationship? If it&#39;s about relationship, Tyler would be body surfing with Buzz in Myrtle Beach right now and enrolling at Coastal Carolina. IMO the relationship was with Benson and Benson appeared to have tried to leverage Smith and Gordon and it didn&#39;nt work and it went down hill from there. I would not be surprised if Benson finds it difficult to be re-employed on another coaching staff. Again JMO.

For the most part basketball recruits do not sign to be playing for schools anymore. Sure you have the Duke&#39;s and Kenucky&#39;s, but then look at their coaches and tradition. Tennessee has not had much of a high standard for basketball for a long time. The simple facts are that these kids sign with the coach they think can increase their draft status. College is not highschool and these kids do have a choice of what coach they want to propell them to the next level. Tyler Smith had made his decision to play for Buzz and that coaching staff, not Pearl. Its not his fault and I can sure understand the position it put him in. So this "kid" deserves a release, it is not his fault they made the coaching change after he comitted.

VN Store

Back