Tyler Baron to Louisville?

Why is it so hard to just wish players well?

He spent 4 years at UT.
Made some big time plays every now and then.
We have more skill at his spot now.

I hope he gets drafted and has a great life.
He gave his all for Tennessee for 4 or 5 years.

Good luck Tyler!
I won't take a position either way UNLESS I come across reliable info on what went down between him and our staff before and after he entered the portal.

Maybe Im a softy, but when players interact with my boys and are genuine and cool with my crew, I just think of them a little different. Baron was really cool to my boys and the interaction was something both my boys will always remember. For that I wish him well. I hate that more and more players will finish their careers somewhere else, but that is the college game now...

He isn't guaranteed anything. Certainly not millions. He's probably a mid to late round pick if he came out now. And you also don't know any other motivations he might have. Maybe he doesn't like the way he's being coached. Who knows?

In the end, it's a pretty bad look to trash a kid for making a decision he thinks is best for him. As far as his VFL card... He gave this school 4 years. Could have easily transferred out after the Pruitt disaster but chose to stixk around. He's a VFL in my book and I'll root for him to do well in all he does.
That's at least two of us. Hope he lights it up at UL

If you had only watched Tennessee play S Carolina 2022 or Missouri 2023 how would you describe the Vols?
True…one game isn’t a good measure which is why I qualified my opinion. But, looking at their record there aren’t very many quality wins and they lost to KY

I still think bringing in a team full of transfers is an unlikely way to build a winning program.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
True…one game isn’t a good measure which is why I qualified my opinion. But, looking at their record there aren’t very many quality wins and they lost to KY

I still think bringing in a team full of transfers is an unlikely way to build a winning program.
Brohm took over a losing program and until recruiting picks up he has few other choices. He is an offensive minded coach that has his fan base excited. My wife's cousin lives near there and her husband is a season ticket holder. So I'm glad Baron chose U of L

Did he get his degree here? If a guy contributes for 4 years and gets a degree, it is hard for me to criticize his character for making a move…seems like he has met his commitment. Felt the same way about Ty Chandler when he left to give it a shot at UNC.
I assumed he had. With 12 semesters to achieve this including summer, with minimum classes per year that would have him well over the requirements. But, maybe not.

What’s the link between Ole Miss and Louisville? First McDonald and now Baron. I assume they were recruited over.
I didn’t even know about McDonald bolting from OM till I read this. Off the cuff, my bet is OM is the one in the catbird seat and, as you said, looking to land bigger fish and told these guys they might want to look around. Wonder who OM has their eye on?

I didn’t even know about McDonald bolting from OM till I read this. Off the cuff, my bet is OM is the one in the catbird seat and, as you said, looking to land bigger fish and told these guys they might want to look around. Wonder who OM has their eye on?
Seems inefficient to me that one month ago Kiffin went to the time and expense to fly to Knoxville to recruit Baron then recruited right over him?

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Rumor is:

Something happened with the Walter Nolen transfer. His A&M NIL deal had some language that stated he would have to return some money under certain conditions that made it impossible for him to transfer without doing so.

I think Ole Miss unexpectedly had to buy that out and are now short on NIL funds.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Rumor is:

Something happened with the Walter Nolen transfer. His A&M NIL deal had some language that stated he would have to return some money under certain conditions that made it impossible for him to transfer without doing so.

I think Ole Miss unexpectedly had to buy that out and are now short on NIL funds.
Interesting, if true. One of the NCAA conditions is NIL can't be tied to a specific school.

If aTm has cracked the code on making transfers difficult or costly without having the NCAA on their back, other NIL collectives won't be far behind.

Edit: snooping around. There looks like legit basis for that rumor.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolInDayton
Not sure what happened but it was more than an open rumor that Garner never felt like Baron fully invested. Still a great talent but you wonder if he was worried that RG would favor other guys.

Moving from UT to Ole Miss and now L'ville seems to undermine the idea that it was purely NIL. As for "why L'ville?" It could come down to something as simple as depth and competition. He needs to play a lot of minutes and put up great stats. He needs attention. It won't hurt that the guys lining up across from him most weeks in the ACC won't be on par with the guys he's faced in the SEC.

I'm sure there are a lot of reasons both good and bad for him leaving. Maybe he wanted something new also. L'ville is a nice place within reasonable driving distance of some cities if he wants to take a weekend.

No need to get hyper negative with these guys. They're making decisions based on the information in front of them. In some cases, I have no doubt that the coaches were blunt with their post-season reviews. Several were very likely told that the young players developing behind them were going to get their opportunities. Some would have had a big role for UT- not irreplaceable but a big role. This is a choice players have now that they didn't have before. They're on the bleeding edge of something new. There aren't enough examples to look at to avoid pitfalls. Let's cut them a little slack.
The one thing you got correct about him IMO was "He needs attention."

The crazy thing about this one is that Tyler gave up VFL status in his HOMETOWN of Knoxville for what, $100k before taxes? (I picked that figure out of this air).

And he will likely make millions in the NFL so in the end that $100k will mean next to nothing. It just seems so short-sighted to give up VFL status in his hometown. Maybe he hates Knoxville.

I have no idea if $100K is right, but when I was a college student, I would have transferred anywhere for that kind of money.
From what I’ve heard on3 is pretty spot on with their NIL valuations.

Attachments

• IMG_8846.png
    IMG_8846.png
    140.8 KB · Views: 23
Just why does it bother anyone where Tyler chooses to finish his career? As for me I will remember some great performances he turned in as a vol. How he would have planted Milroe in the turf if SEC officials didn't allow holding. Showing hate surely doesn't help recruiting. Go vols and good luck Tyler Baron.

VN Store

Back