Tyler Baron to Louisville?

Need to add another sack to this young man's career. He just sacked himself. Good riddance. Hasta Luego mi muchacho. Au revoir.

Not sure what happened but it was more than an open rumor that Garner never felt like Baron fully invested. Still a great talent but you wonder if he was worried that RG would favor other guys.

Moving from UT to Ole Miss and now L'ville seems to undermine the idea that it was purely NIL. As for "why L'ville?" It could come down to something as simple as depth and competition. He needs to play a lot of minutes and put up great stats. He needs attention. It won't hurt that the guys lining up across from him most weeks in the ACC won't be on par with the guys he's faced in the SEC.

I'm sure there are a lot of reasons both good and bad for him leaving. Maybe he wanted something new also. L'ville is a nice place within reasonable driving distance of some cities if he wants to take a weekend.

No need to get hyper negative with these guys. They're making decisions based on the information in front of them. In some cases, I have no doubt that the coaches were blunt with their post-season reviews. Several were very likely told that the young players developing behind them were going to get their opportunities. Some would have had a big role for UT- not irreplaceable but a big role. This is a choice players have now that they didn't have before. They're on the bleeding edge of something new. There aren't enough examples to look at to avoid pitfalls. Let's cut them a little slack.

You know what I'm glad he's gone, I can't stand this crap if you don't want to be here then I'm not worried about you...no VFL and hope you suck a the ville🤣🤣🤣

There's obviously something going on with the young man. I hope he gets it figured out. Chasing money can lead anyone down the wrong path. Some of you suck bad by mocking him.

What’s the link between Ole Miss and Louisville? First McDonald and now Baron. I assume they were recruited over.
Mincey went to Kentucky and Baron is at Louisville. I haven't heard anything is McDonald still at Ole Miss? What's weird is Kiffin was bragging and it looked like they was already at Ole Miss Baron and McDonald anyway.

There's obviously something going on with the young man. I hope he gets it figured out. Chasing money can lead anyone down the wrong path. Some of you suck bad by mocking him.
No idea what’s up with him but we basically paid him to come back last year. I think this year he went in and we have guys behind him that are good enough that we’ll be fine without him. Idk if it was just money or if he saw he would be more in a rotation with the younger guys being ready now. In any case Baron gave his all on the field every shot. I’m not going to begrudge him bc I think it works out to be better for both parties. I’m also not going to say he sucked as a player either bc that’s really not true.

College football became a multibillion dollar business a long time ago, college athletes are just now catching up, will take some time for fans to come around to the reality now as well. It’s a business to these kids, it’s been a business to these programs for several years though. Going on social media and slandering former players only hurts the program at this point.

This...the hate and ridiculousness some of you are spouting is sad. If Baron went to the draft this year hes at worst at worst a day 2 guy. He is a top SDE. Awesome run stopper and can rush the passer. I wish him the best as Louisville, they aren't on our schedule.
If that was the case he would have went pro.

So why are all our of portal guys going to Ole Miss and then flipping to Louisville? Just seems weird.
I think Brohm knows very well the type of players Lane is successful at targeting. Brohm had a decent season last year. He is trying to make some noise and is overpaying to try and become relevant on the national stage. If you want to lure kids that have a sweet tooth, the best place to find them is near the candy store.

The amount of vitriol these kids receive for going somewhere else is ridiculous. He is making a decision he thinks is better for his future. How about we wish him well and move on with our lives?

The crazy thing about this one is that Tyler gave up VFL status in his HOMETOWN of Knoxville for what, $100k before taxes? (I picked that figure out of this air).

And he will likely make millions in the NFL so in the end that $100k will mean next to nothing. It just seems so short-sighted to give up VFL status in his hometown. Maybe he hates Knoxville.

Reactions: rocytop2624
Highest bidder. Free agency every year with no salary caps or draft status to deal with, what could go wrong?

The crazy thing about this one is that Tyler gave up VFL status in his HOMETOWN of Knoxville for what, $100k before taxes? (I picked that figure out of this air).

And he will likely make millions in the NFL so in the end that $100k will mean next to nothing. It just seems so short-sighted to give up VFL status in his hometown. Maybe he hates Knoxville.
I have no idea if $100K is right, but when I was a college student, I would have transferred anywhere for that kind of money.

Mincey went to Kentucky and Baron is at Louisville. I haven't heard anything is McDonald still at Ole Miss? What's weird is Kiffin was bragging and it looked like they was already at Ole Miss Baron and McDonald anyway.
Might be wrong...often am...but I thought McDonald also switched to UL.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
What happens to the money that these guys get from UT when they leave UT?

Depends on their contract terms. I haven't seen any of these contracts leaked into the wild, so it's hard to know.

One might suspect that money from the NIL collective is paid out on a monthly basis and when they stop performing at one university the NIL money associated with that university cuts off.

NIL deals outside of the collective structure could be structured hundreds of different ways from one time payments to daily payments based on click throughs, merch sales, etc.

I have no idea if $100K is right, but when I was a college student, I would have transferred anywhere for that kind of money.

The context is key here. Tyler is already making a lot of money so the $100k is incremental and very likely deminimis in the big picture. And he's forgoing celebrity status in his hometown for the rest of his life. That just seems silly to give up for immaterial dollars.

He isn't guaranteed anything. Certainly not millions. He's probably a mid to late round pick if he came out now. And you also don't know any other motivations he might have. Maybe he doesn't like the way he's being coached. Who knows?

In the end, it's a pretty bad look to trash a kid for making a decision he thinks is best for him. As far as his VFL card... He gave this school 4 years. Could have easily transferred out after the Pruitt disaster but chose to stixk around. He's a VFL in my book and I'll root for him to do well in all he does.

The context is key here. Tyler is already making a lot of money so the $100k is incremental and very likely deminimis in the big picture. And he's forgoing celebrity status in his hometown for the rest of his life. That just seems silly to give up for immaterial dollars.
In the long run, if he goes to the NFL and has a career, he'll be in a bigger market than Knoxville making a name for himself, so taking the "short money" is not a problem and Knoxville is just where he came from, not where he's going.

If he doesn't make the league and needs to fall back, he's made as much money as he likely can at his age. The good thing about being in your 20s is there's lots of time and energy to start over and repair your stupidity.

He pulled the stunt last year looking for more money. Then tried it again this year. We told him thanks but no thx. Hard to save face at that point.
Ole Miss offered him a good some (from what I heard) but I have no idea if it was more or less than what he was making.

No clue why the switch to Louisville but I think Ole Miss told him he didnt have a spot anymore.

I recognize we don’t know what the numbers are but $100,000 isn’t deminmis

Reactions: irish1485

VN Store

Back