Tyler Baron has entered the portal

This one makes no sense. Dude was obviously a starter. It’s not like he wasn’t get enough chances. And furthermore… What more does he have to prove in college? Your body gets beat up and you only have so many years of football available. Maybe he knows his combine number won’t be amazing but his body of work should get him and opportunity. Regardless, another year of college won’t change his measurables. He should enter the draft.
I just think in this age of college football, if you dont play your young guys soon, it will be them in the portal. I would rather see Barron bounce now and keep the younger guys...JMO

Reactions: chattavol420
This NIL and portal crap are ruining college football. The NCAA screws up everything they touch. And this is the worst.

This one makes no sense. Dude was obviously a starter. It’s not like he wasn’t get enough chances. And furthermore… What more does he have to prove in college? Your body gets beat up and you only have so many years of football available. Maybe he knows his combine number won’t be amazing but his body of work should get him and opportunity. Regardless, another year of college won’t change his measurables. He should enter the draft.
That is where I am too. I am not an NFL scout but he looks like a guy that could get drafted in one of the later rounds at least. As far as development, will he receive better coaching at a different school? Garner is one of the best in the business. If he is looking for more money and gets it, then good for him.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Some of these posts are incredible. Put yourself in the same situation with your business or company. Would you leave to another company for a $10k- $20k raise a year? I would give my company a chance to offer but if another company sees me as more valuable -im gone. He needs to show zero loyalty to UT. He's given his all for TN when he played. Hope he gets rewarded well.
Going to the pros is acceptable. Selling your services to a competing program in what is basically a literal move is not if you want the honour of the title of VFL. Again, if he has his degree, that’s different. Does he? (I honestly don’t know)

That is where I am too. I am not an NFL scout but he looks like a guy that could get drafted in one of the later rounds at least. As far as development, will he receive better coaching at a different school? Garner is one of the best in the business. If he is looking for more money and gets it, then good for him.
He's almost certainly looking for more money. He did this last year; didn't officially enter the Portal but was rumored he was transferring. Trying to figure out going to Draft vs. another year in college.

It's a business decision, and if you remove it out of a "a really good player on a team I'm a fan of might leave" context, everybody would understand it and hold absolutely nothing against him.

Reactions: KHVol and PEPPERJAX
Tennessee isn’t like other college programs. You will not find a fan base that will support and follow you for life as a VFL anywhere else. When you put on the Power T you are entering a brotherhood and family without compare in college athletics. That is not something that should be thrown away lightly

Reactions: Cbateman7606
Tennessee isn’t like other college programs. You will not find a fan base that will support and follow you for life as a VFL anywhere else. When you put on the Power T you are entering a brotherhood and family without compare in college athletics. That is not something that should be thrown away lightly
Yes you will. I love Tennessee but we are hardly unique in that regard. College fanbases generally speaking are pretty passionate.

He's almost certainly looking for more money. He did this last year; didn't officially enter the Portal but was rumored he was transferring. Trying to figure out going to Draft vs. another year in college.

It's a business decision, and if you remove it out of a "a really good player on a team I'm a fan of might leave" context, everybody would understand it and hold absolutely nothing against him.
Oh yeah it makes sense. The cat is out of the bag and this is essentially CFB's version of free agency. We have to take the good and the bad in this new era of football. Obviously, we hope that UT can retain him but can't get too bent out of shape because all of the other teams are dealing the with same stuff. IMO, HS recruiting is still going to be how programs build and sustain culture. Additionally, coaches now have to hold their roster together convincing key players to stick around. My knowledge of theses collectives is very limited btw. Hopefully, they are doing everything they can to keep valuable players on the hill. If he ends up at bama, I am going to FKN puke.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbwhhs and KHVol
We are LOADED at his position.

Pearce
Bradley
Herring
Josephs
Ross

He may have been processed out, honestly. Those young guys don’t wanna sit behind a super senior.
As long as a couple of them have the size & strength to play strong side and defend the run we should be fine. Seems like Bradley and Joseph’s came in pretty thin. Not sure where they are currently in terms of size

What I really don't get, not specific to this thread on Baron, but with all threads when a player is leaving the program.........is why does everyone wish them well and refer to them as #VFL? Dumba$$ me thought that the L stood for life. Maybe those posts should wish them well #VUSBCAOTWMM - which would be Vol Until Something Better Comes Along Or They Want More Money.

You have complete uncertainty with our program going forward.

If that’s not obvious to you, you’re a bigger idiot than I thought for supporting Joe Milton.
If I am an idiot for supporting Joe then so is Heupel. You know the HC of the team? I support the Vols regardless of how good or bad they are. What more do you know than Heupel does about the right starting QB? Go take a lap keyboard warrior. If you can't take a retort on a message board then go record your soft azz feelings in your diary.

Reactions: TheVolsFrog
He probably wants to go somewhere the team has a chance to go all the way or somewhere he can reach his full potential for the NFL. We found out this year that they will do everything in their power to keep UT out of it and it was quite easy honestly. The players see it more than we do. They arnt dumb.

The next move will be players will have to sign contracts
just like in the NFL. A certain amount of NIL money for
a certain number of years. If you leave early, you forfeit
your money.

VN Store

Back