'19 TX WR Isaiah Neyor

It wasn’t as effective.and they lost some of that advantage.
When? And what replaced it? My recollection of history differs from yours. Variations of Gibbs and Walsh’s offenses continue to this day. And it’s never been about fooling defenses. When you’re successful, they know what’s coming…they just can’t stop it. Happened in the Bills/Chiefs game yesterday.

When? And what replaced it? My recollection of history differs from yours. Variations of Gibbs and Walsh’s offenses continue to this day. And it’s never been about fooling defenses. When you’re successful, they know what’s coming…they just can’t stop it. Happened in the Bills/Chiefs game yesterday.

Yep. Many teams are still running variations of the Walsh west coast style.

Reactions: butchna
I
I and many others
consider average recruit ranking a better indicator of the talent being brought in. Most teams wlll arrive Close to the same number of recruits at the end of the day.

And the teams with lower numbers of recruits are likely to see their average recruit ranking fall if they add more recruits. There simply aren't enough elite prospects remaining that they are in on to sustain their average recruit ranking.

Do you honestly believe that Miami has the 5th ranked recruiting class with 10 commits?

Reactions: LoudOrange
And the teams with lower numbers of recruits are likely to see their average recruit ranking fall if they add more recruits. There simply aren't enough elite prospects remaining that they are in on to sustain their average recruit ranking.

Do you honestly believe that Miami has the 5th ranked recruiting class with 10 commits?
No , not in Miami’s case but if it was Georgia or Alabama It would be possible. Miami is an anomaly and is the flip side of a team with higher total points because at a given time they have signed more recruits. The numbers are fluid. We will only know after NSD but I bet we end up in the high teens or low twenties. Not bad but not good enough to catch Georgia or Alabama anytime soon.

No , not in Miami’s case but if it was Georgia or Alabama It would be possible. Miami is an anomaly and is the flip side of a team with higher total points because at a given time they have signed more recruits. The numbers are fluid. We will only know after NSD but I bet we end up in the high teens or low twenties. Not bad but not good enough to catch Georgia or Alabama anytime soon.

And some teams above us now like Auburn and Florida State are more likely to see their average ranking fall if they add 2-3 more recruits.

That's why total points are more important in the end.

And some teams above us now like Auburn and Florida State are more likely to see their average ranking fall if they add 2-3 more recruits.

That's why total points are more important in the end.
Total points are not important compared to the average recruiting ranking because most teams generally finish very close in the number of recruits when the recruiting is completed for the year., . It’s really a simple concept , you should take some time and think it through. Especially since many of thence lower ranked recruits will never make much if an imoact in elevating the program.,

Total points are not important compared to the average recruiting ranking because most teams generally finish very close in the number of recruits when the recruiting is completed for the year., . It’s really a simple concept , you should take some time and think it through. Especially since many of thence lower ranked recruits will never make much if an imoact in elevating the program.,

But that only applies if the number of recruits are the same or similar. They aren't, so you can't. Also, if you dropped our bottom 3 recruits, our overall ranking would only drop 1 spot in total points, but our average recruit would jump up to above 89. So you're wrong any way you cut it.

Look at it this way:

QB 1 goes 8/10 for 80 completion %.

QB 2 goes 20/26 for 76 completion %

By your logic, QB1 had the better game. Average is only relevant when the total numbers of things you are comparing are the same/similar.

Last edited:
But that only applies if the number of recruits are the same or similar. They aren't, so you can't. Also, if you dropped our bottom 3 recruits, our overall ranking would only drop 1 spot in total points, but our average recruit would jump up to above 89. So you're wrong any way you cut it.

Look at it this way:

QB 1 goes 8/10 for 80 completion %.

QB 2 goes 20/26 for 76 completion %

By your logic, QB1 had the better game. Average is only relevant when the total numbers of things I’mm you are comparing are the same/similar.
Total points are relevant when comparing teams that have the same or almost the same # of recruits but then of course the average is about the same. During the recruiting cycle when there arr larger discrepancies in recruits committed, average ranking is always the best indicator of the talent being brought in at that time. Of course when NSD is completed, average ranking and total ranking will closely parallel each other.
Fry

We can argue NIL all we want. Or we can just realize this kid committed to UT sight unseen and then the home team pushed hard and he chose to play where his family can take a short ride to see him play next fall before heading to the NFL. We’d all do the same thing. Case closed.
This wasn't exactly this simple. In the end, Texas gave him around $1.5M over three years so money played a factor for sure. Tennessee simply decided it was not worth it in terms of potentially losing the locker room. NIL is not simply a bidding war between every program, as some assume it is. Some programs have a certain value on a kid and they won't exceed it.. Lots of things play into those decisions, such as 'What is my best player at this position making? Should I pay this transfer kid more and possibly upset the kids I have?' Those questions get very interesting when the kid coming in is not a sure thing. There are programs that are paying whatever it takes to sign kids, Tennessee is not one of those places, at least not right now while trying to build a new culture and foundation. However, everyone at Tennessee knows that if it is ever truly needed, their pockets are as deep as anyones. They will spend on kids they deem worth it, which won't be as many kids as Texas A&M for example. (The $30M signing class is 100% true for a fact)

Playing at Texas close to family certainly played a factor but the kid was also very enamored by the prospect of playing in Tennessee's offense.

Last edited:
This wasn't exactly this simple. In the end, Texas gave him over around $1.5M over three years so money played a factor for sure. Tennessee simply decided it was not worth it in terms of potentially losing the locker room. NIL is not simply a bidding war between every program, as some assume it is. Some programs have a certain value on a kid and they won't exceed it.. Lots of things play into those decisions, such as 'What is my best player at this position making? Should I pay this transfer kid more and possibly upset the kids I have?' Those questions get very interesting when the kid coming in is not a sure thing. There are programs that are paying whatever it takes to sign kids, Tennessee is not one of those places, at least not right now while trying to build a new culture and foundation. However, everyone at Tennessee knows that if it is ever truly needed, their pockets are as deep as anyones. They will spend on kids they deem worth it, which won't be as many kids as Texas A&M for example. (The $30M signing class is 100% true for a fact)

Playing at Texas close to family certainly played a factor but the kid was also very enamored by the prospect of playing in Tennessee's offense.
Wish I knew if this is fact or fiction - no offense intended slice as who knows what’s accurate on a message board

Wish I knew if this is fact or fiction - no offense intended slice as who knows what’s accurate on a message board

Who knows, but I would guess this is very accurate. It's a new day, with new rules. We won't outbid a few schools, but we will be top 10 or at least top 20, I believe (based on reading tea leaves, and not any actual first-hand information).

Who knows, but I would guess this is very accurate. It's a new day, with new rules. We won't outbid a few schools, but we will be top 10 or at least top 20, I believe (based on reading tea leaves, and not any actual first-hand information).
I wouldn't necessarily say we won't outbid schools...looks like they'll bid based on their valuation of the player to the team/program. Someone like Nico for example, they very well may go all out for and can win that "bidding battle" if that makes sense. They just won't offer the same to everyone. What Texas A&M did/spent was unprecedented so we'll see what sort of regulation if any takes place in the future as well as what schools are up to snuff. UGA for example does not have an NIL program set up yet.

This wasn't exactly this simple. In the end, Texas gave him around $1.5M over three years so money played a factor for sure. Tennessee simply decided it was not worth it in terms of potentially losing the locker room. NIL is not simply a bidding war between every program, as some assume it is. Some programs have a certain value on a kid and they won't exceed it.. Lots of things play into those decisions, such as 'What is my best player at this position making? Should I pay this transfer kid more and possibly upset the kids I have?' Those questions get very interesting when the kid coming in is not a sure thing. There are programs that are paying whatever it takes to sign kids, Tennessee is not one of those places, at least not right now while trying to build a new culture and foundation. However, everyone at Tennessee knows that if it is ever truly needed, their pockets are as deep as anyones. They will spend on kids they deem worth it, which won't be as many kids as Texas A&M for example. (The $30M signing class is 100% true for a fact)

Holy smokes. Maybe slice is legit after all.

..........But Swain said we weren't outbid!!!

Even though VQ said we were.

1.5 million for a transfer like him is just nuts. I think he's going to be good, but that's silly.

So Tennessee decided that zero of the elite players in the country for the 2022 class were worth it?

So Tennessee decided that zero of the elite players in the country for the 2022 class were worth it?
I'm becoming more and more convinced that Heupel simply believes he can outscheme everyone and doesn't need elite talent across the board. I don't agree with that idea, necessarily, especially on defense, but it just seems like he believes that he can win at a high level without the best talent. At some point it does, at least partially, become about the Jimmys and Joes, and not just the Xs and Os.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that Heupel simply believes he can outscheme everyone and doesn't need elite talent across the board. I don't agree with that idea, necessarily, especially on defense, but it just seems like he believes that he can win at a high level without the best talent. At some point it does, at least partially, become about the Jimmys and Joes, and not just the Xs and Os.
Exactly right and if the coach doesn’t realize that quickly he will get his ass kicked and be looking for a lower level job! And ADDW needs to understand and be proactive about it too!

Reactions: VolNash17

Bryan Harsin also believes this. Seems to be going well.

Heup can scheme up plenty of wins. Hell I’ll take four years of 8-4 and 9-3. But he’s banking on winning a lot of shootouts. And won’t be doing it against the teams with elite talent. Tennessee is gonna need to loosen the purse straps for those guys.

And if it’s NIL money and not the school directly paying the kids, who exactly is deciding which players are worth those deals? The businesses? Spyre?

That is part of it, some players just chose to go elsewhere but yes, some Tennessee might have been able to sign one or two if they offered more money.

The biggest reason they are not as active as the public thought they would be in the portal is because they can't be.. They are on a private self-imposed scholarship limit for the football calendar year of 2021. What that means is that they can not exceed a certain number of scholarship players in the program from the Summer of 2021 through the Summer of 2022. The other self imposed penalty was having no unofficial visitors for one game during the 2021 season (Thursday night vs BG)..

This really allowed them to end the NCAA stuff with almost no penalties. They would not have exceeded the number of scholarships this year anyway because of the lost transfer portal guys from last year but the one downside is that they can not be super active right now in the transfer portal because they are very close to that number. They almost have to have someone leave in the portal right now before they can take someone.

While the scholarship limit is 85, most people think Tennessee can do whatever they want in the portal because of their numbers. Truth is, because of the self imposed sanctions that almost no one knows about, they can't until this Summer when they will be allowed 85 scholarships again.

VN Store

Back