'19 TX WR Isaiah Neyor

Exactly. Have to crawl before you walk. McGump nuked us.
Heupel has a unique approach with an offense that keeps the defense at a disadvantage. I guarantee you defenses will adapt to it the more they see it. What’s Heupel going to do then?
We still need top ten classes every year to move up to a 1st tier level. Along with Heupel’s shortcomings with in-game management , I’m not sure we will ever reach the level to contend for Division, Conference or National championships. Of course I hope I’m wrong but I believe we lost recruiting momentum with the bowl loss.

Last edited:
Checked it a couple days ago. “Average Recruit Ranking” not “Total Recruiting Points”. It’s a better indicator for the quality of recruits we are bringing in.
Class ranking average: #15 on 247...#11 on Rivals...#16 on On3...not sure about ESPN. Average is around #14.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Class ranking average: #15 on 247...#11 on Rivals...#16 on On3...not sure about ESPN. Average is around #14.
If you go to the 247 team ranking page for recruiting, you can sort by recruit (where we're #15), transfer (where we're like #71), or overall (which combines both and where we currently sit at #22). So you're both right, just talking about different things.

Heupel has a unique approach with an offense that keeps the defense at a disadvantage. I guarantee you defenses will adapt to it the more they see it. What’s Heupel going to do then?
We still need top ten classes every year to move up to a 1st tier level. Along with Heupel’s shortcomings with in-game management , I’m not sure we will ever reach the level to contend for Division, Conference or National championships. Of course I hope I’m wrong but I believe we lost recruiting momentum with the bowl loss.

This doesn’t make sense.

Huepel’s offense is designed to attack weaknesses of a defense. Plays are schemed each week specifically for this. If the defense shows a look we know we can attack we attack it. Otherwise we run our normal stuff until we see a weakness.

This is why people are confused about Huepels offensive stats and why they said “he doesn’t run the ball” well guess what, he didn’t really have to run the ball at UCF because he could attack teams in the air. But when they stopped that he would gash them big time with a run.

It is why Tennessee ran so much last year. We had to do that to open up the pass game and exploit weaknesses in the secondary. The issue though was we had a piece meal line for almost the entire season so it made the strategy tough. Teams could just sit back on our receivers.

That being said Huepel still set records for offensive stats and that is impressive especially with what he had to work with and the time he had to install all of it.

If you go to the 247 team ranking page for recruiting, you can sort by recruit (where we're #15), transfer (where we're like #71), or overall (which combines both and where we currently sit at #22). So you're both right, just talking about different things.
Yeah, I haven't started adding transfers to recruiting classes yet...didn't even think about that, honestly. I'm still looking at them as two separate ways of getting players, and not combining them. I'm going to have to start, considering most people are looking at them as combined now.

Hoping we land the Moten kid from HS next month; and, a DB and LB in the portal.

This doesn’t make sense.

Huepel’s offense is designed to attack weaknesses of a defense. Plays are schemed each week specifically for this. If the defense shows a look we know we can attack we attack it. Otherwise we run our normal stuff until we see a weakness.

This is why people are confused about Huepels offensive stats and why they said “he doesn’t run the ball” well guess what, he didn’t really have to run the ball at UCF because he could attack teams in the air. But when they stopped that he would gash them big time with a run.

It is why Tennessee ran so much last year. We had to do that to open up the pass game and exploit weaknesses in the secondary. The issue though was we had a piece meal line for almost the entire season so it made the strategy tough. Teams could just sit back on our receivers.

That being said Huepel still set records for offensive stats and that is impressive especially with what he had to work with and the time he had to install all of it.
What part doesn’t make sense? There are always new and unique schemes whether it was Joe Gibbs one back offense back in the 80’s or the 3-4 D with Lawrence Taylor or countless others. Defenses and Offenses will adapt to schematic changes eventually. Then you have to find something new.

More so in the NBA. The NFL has done a great job providing parity. Star QB’s just don’t change teams.

Rodgers in GB, Mahomes in KC, Allen in Buffalo, Wilson in Seattle, Peyton was in Indy and only left because of his injury…

Strangely enough, both NY franchises have been dumpster fires. Chicago has been mediocre. Dallas hasn’t won anything in 25 years, and the LA franchises haven’t been successful in a while.
True

What part doesn’t make sense? There are always new and unique schemes whether it was Joe Gibbs one back offense back in the 80’s or the 3-4 D with Lawrence Taylor or countless others. Defenses and Offenses will adapt to schematic changes eventually. Then you have to find something new.

Instead of defenses adjusting to Heupel’s offense, he adjusts based on the defense. His offense is based on counting numbers in the box, and the QB is taught to call the play based on that. He runs wide splits with the WR’s to put DB’s on the edges of the field. If the defense plays to stop the run with an extra guy in the box, they essentially have man coverage on the outside, and they throw a short screen or over the top. If the defense decides to double the WR’s and put more guys out wide, the numbers in the box are favorable, and they run it within the tackles. If the RB is elite, he can outrun the secondary at times because they are split so far out wide. One of the reasons you don’t see many stretch run plays.

It’s an offense that never really gets old, as long as you have a good OL, a QB who has the arm to make the throws, and a couple of WR’s who can beat man coverage. We didn’t even have elite backs this year and still gashed a few teams. It’s simple schematics.

Heupel has stated that we haven’t seen anything close to his full playbook. Also what makes you think he can’t adapt and change?

This doesn’t make sense.

This is just amazing.

Checked it a couple days ago. “Average Recruit Ranking” not “Total Recruiting Points”. It’s a better indicator for the quality of recruits we are bringing in.

No it isn't, because the class sizes aren't the same. An average ranking of 90.0 with 15 recruits isn't as impressive as an average ranking of 89.8 with 20 recruits. That's the whole reason why you have total recruiting points.

Reactions: SmokinBob
Don’t remember Joe Gibbs or Bill Walsh finding something new…just kept winning SBs. When it works it works.

I
No it isn't, because the class sizes aren't the same. An average ranking of 90.0 with 15 recruits isn't as impressive as an average ranking of 89.8 with 20 recruits. That's the whole reason why you have total recruiting points.
I and many others
consider average recruit ranking a better indicator of the talent being brought in. Most teams wlll arrive Close to the same number of recruits at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Gibbs one back with extra TE or OL and Walsh’s West Coat offense. Both innovative concepts at the time.
And did they change after “everybody figured them out”? How about what Bama’s running? Or that advanced puzzle UGA is throwing out?

VN Store

Back