'22 TX WR Evan Stewart (Oregon)

I don’t think WR is a glaring issue per se, but there is certainly a lot of question marks about how good and consistent some of the dudes in our WR room will be next year.

Bru is coming back from a significant injury. Thornton is still an unknown. Matthews and Staley will be good, but will also be true freshmen. Brazzell is someone we hope will be a star, but that remains to be seen. And Squirrel is good but not a true #1 and he struggled to get open this year.

I have a lot of confidence in Pope, but getting a true stud like Stewart to add to the mix would be really nice. It’s not a huge deal if we miss on him though obviously.

How many really good WRs do you think teams have?
i dont believe we have a difference maker on campus right now. maybe matthews becomes one, we just dont know right now, but for what we have seen from the ones who have played, i would call them a group of decent receivers, but no one has shown to be a difference maker.

Reactions: Deebowbear
I don’t think WR is a glaring issue per se, but there is certainly a lot of question marks about how good and consistent some of the dudes in our WR room will be next year.

Bru is coming back from a significant injury. Thornton is still an unknown. Matthews and Staley will be good, but will also be true freshmen. Brazzell is someone we hope will be a star, but that remains to be seen. And Squirrel is good but not a true #1 and he struggled to get open this year.

I have a lot of confidence in Pope, but getting a true stud like Stewart to add to the mix would be really nice. It’s not a huge deal if we miss on him though obviously.
Matthews has enough talent to play a lot of snaps as a Freshman. He will surprise everyone. If we want to continue to recruit 5* WRs, you have to play them early and often. Much different than linemen and DBs. While Sampso is a terrific runner, he has a long way to go in pass blocking. I think we are set with runners, not so much with pass blocking. Nico’s sacks were on plays where either the RB or thr Olineman missed their blocks. We only have one QB except for Walton’s and a true Freshman. We have to find a way to protect our QBs

Last edited:
Any fan who experienced the Kelly Washington era will tell you that having a character like that in your locker room is akin to walking blind through a minefield. I still think Fulmer lost a ton of respect from his roster based on how he handled Washington. Once you lose that it's very hard to get it back. Those bad seeds are sown over 3-4 classes and the effects linger/are passed on. Not worth the risk IMO.
I think he was the real beginning of Fulmer’s downfall.

And we will probably never know the whole story but there is a real possibility that a locker room issue cost us a spot in the playoff last year. Something was definitely off against South Carolina that night
i won't discount that.

but i won't discount the probability of the stories being at least in some way/shape/form true about the michigan scandal and USCe coaches being benefactors.

that program was DEAD in the water after that FL game last year. and i refuse to believe that they "found it", at least in that capacity, on their own. i think they've proven what they are in THAT capacity..................

Reactions: LaagerVol
I think he was the real beginning of Fulmer’s downfall.
I've never really thought about it, but CPF really had a very short head coaching career for a NC winning coach. 16 years as a head coach. Promoted to HC at his Almer Matre, won a NC, went into decline, fired, and no one else wanted him.

Reactions: Winchester73
A lot of people are forgetting about Leacock who was hurt at the beginning of the year. He is an unknown but has a lot of potential.
I don't know what the deal is with that. Seems like most of the time people list our receivers for next year, he's the forgotten man.

Hopefully that transfers to the field and DBs forget about him.

I've never really thought about it, but CPF really had a very short head coaching career for a NC winning coach. 16 years as a head coach. Promoted to HC at his Almer Matre, won a NC, went into decline, fired, and no one else wanted him.

Maybe he never wanted to coach anywhere else?

Last edited:
Ugh, we need another WR. Hopefully we can target one. The ones we have not named Squirrel White need to hit the portal.
That's a dumb idea. UT needs depth and Webb/Nimrod/Leacock are not fully developed yet. All have talent. Hyatt wasn't very good for two years. He couldn't catch or get off coverage. He didn't know how to use his speed. Then it came together. There is a good chance that at least one and probably more of the guys you want gone will develop into really good WRs over the next couple of years.

VN Store

Back