Two bigs -- the next trend?

LVsinceJV

We are transitioning into a "positionless" era in which the 6'3 to 6'5s have the height to block a shot, as well as the ball handling skill to shake and bake. Many teams these days operate exclusively with guards and forwards, with emphasis on precise passing and outside shooting.

With that said, the role of the big-bigs is becoming ever clearer after this season of college ball, and the bigs will be on full display this summer in the WNBA. After seeing Baylor's dual combo work so effectively this season, I have the feeling we will see more two-big combos in the future.

We are transitioning into a "positionless" era in which the 6'3 to 6'5s have the height to block a shot, as well as the ball handling skill to shake and bake. Many teams these days operate exclusively with guards and forwards, with emphasis on precise passing and outside shooting.

With that said, the role of the big-bigs is becoming ever clearer after this season of college ball, and the bigs will be on full display this summer in the WNBA. After seeing Baylor's dual combo work so effectively this season, I have the feeling we will see more two-big combos in the future.

I'm not sure there are enough quality big girls to go around for too many teams to effectively run the two big offense like Baylor did this year. Kim is a magnet for the best big girls in the country, which is why she said multiple times in press conferences at the NCAA tournament, "hey you big girls, come on to Waco, I won't just use you to set screens." Lol

Baylor's offense would not have been effective with anyone else but Cox at that 4 position, her decision making, passing and ability to score from multiple places on the court from that FT line area were the primary reasons Baylor could run that two post offense. Not often you're going to find teams with a 6'7" and 6'5" who are that talented and able to play off of one another like they did.

It was very effective for Baylor though, especially against those teams trying to play position-less basketball like you mentioned. They just could not match-up with Baylor. Even Notre Dame struggled until Cox went out with the injury and they were running their offense with two bigs as well.

In the entire country there were maybe 4 other true post players as good as Kalani and Lauren: Gustafson, McCowan, Shepherd and Hebard. And Cox made life tough for 3/4 of them in the NCAA tournament.

The 3 point shot is the reason most teams don't need that many big ladies. In women basketball the quick small guards are more important especially if they can drive or post up for the 3 point shot. Holley never adjusted.......I hope Kellie is willing to adjust and recruit the talented guards. They are so much more valuable then the big slow ladies. Mainly you need a few bigs to rebound and block shots but many of the quick mid size to small ladies who are quick and can hit the 3.

I'm not sure there are enough quality big girls to go around for too many teams to effectively run the two big offense like Baylor did this year. Kim is a magnet for the best big girls in the country, which is why she said multiple times in press conferences at the NCAA tournament, "hey you big girls, come on to Waco, I won't just use you to set screens." Lol

Baylor's offense would not have been effective with anyone else but Cox at that 4 position, her decision making, passing and ability to score from multiple places on the court from that FT line area were the primary reasons Baylor could run that two post offense. Not often you're going to find teams with a 6'7" and 6'5" who are that talented and able to play off of one another like they did.

It was very effective for Baylor though, especially against those teams trying to play position-less basketball like you mentioned. They just could not match-up with Baylor. Even Notre Dame struggled until Cox went out with the injury and they were running their offense with two bigs as well.

In the entire country there were maybe 4 other true post players as good as Kalani and Lauren: Gustafson, McCowan, Shepherd and Hebard. And Cox made life tough for 3/4 of them in the NCAA tournament.

Bingo. There's a reason Cox was the #1 recruit in 2016...posts who are true triple threats from 15-20 feet don't grow on trees. If you have the players with the skillset to utilize a double big high low, do it, but don't force it. Play to your strengths.

Bingo. There's a reason Cox was the #1 recruit in 2016...posts who are true triple threats from 15-20 feet don't grow on trees. If you have the players with the skillset to utilize a double big high low, do it, but don't force it. Play to your strengths.

Exactly, that's what the best coaches do. They look at what they have and adjust their game plan to take advantage of it as best possible.

The two big lineup often does not work for defensive reasons as well. Consider teams like MSST last year who had Victoria Vivians playing the 4. Cox is an incredible defender both in the paint and on the perimeter so she can adsorb whatever defensive assignment they needed her to so they can run that offense. Most teams would have to adjust defensively if they came up against someone playing a smaller line-up with a stretch 4, but not Baylor.

Reactions: bballnut90
The 3 point shot is the reason most teams don't need that many big ladies. In women basketball the quick small guards are more important especially if they can drive or post up for the 3 point shot. Holley never adjusted.......I hope Kellie is willing to adjust and recruit the talented guards. They are so much more valuable then the big slow ladies. Mainly you need a few bigs to rebound and block shots but many of the quick mid size to small ladies who are quick and can hit the 3.

I agree if 6-5 Cox did not get hurt the game was pretty much out of reach for ND. To win you will need someone to patrol the middle so you can extend the defense.

We had Anosike and Parker who were 6'4" and 6'5". Parker was the mobile one and Anosike was the equivalent of Brown under the goal.

Reactions: sccshortstop

This is why I hope Lauren's baby sister accepts her offer from Baylor. Kim offered her as a 6' twelve year old and she's a gym rat with a deadly three ball.

I hope she follows Lauren's lead into VB (and to Baylor) to practice her leaping ability. It would be interesting to see what Kim and Bill Brock could mold this youngster into.

We had Anosike and Parker who were 6'4" and 6'5". Parker was the mobile one and Anosike was the equivalent of Brown under the goal.

Both sets of bigs were great passers but I don't see a lot of similarities outside of that.

Baylor funneled a lot of their offense through Cox in the high post and Brown was part of the high low or would establish position inside for a deep layup. Tennessee rarely ran a true high low with Anosike/Parker. Parker was much more dynamic offensively than either Cox/Brown, as she could beat you in so many ways. Candace was always the center of the offense. Anosike was not nearly as good at finishing inside or hitting midrange jumpers compared to Box/Brown but was a stellar offensive rebounder and passer.

Defensively Parker's role was similar to Cox, acting as the primary paint defender with her length at shot blocking--although I think Cox is a better defender than Candace was. Anosike was a MUCH better defender than Brown, she would hound guards on the perimeter at 6-4 and was also a strong interior defender too. One of the best defenders in SEC history. Brown isn't a great shot blocker and can easily be beat with quickness.

VN Store

Back