Turnover Importance

It's amazing to look at the game stats and wonder how it was basically a one-possession game at the end.

Turnovers:
Arkansas - 20
Tennessee - 5

Blocks:
Arkansas - 2
Tennessee - 9

Steals:
Arkansas - 2
Tennessee - 10

Free Throws:
Arkansas - 8-10
Tennessee - 20-26

Fouls:
Arkansas - 22
Tennessee - 12

It's amazing to look at the game stats and wonder how it was basically a one-possession game at the end.

Turnovers:
Arkansas - 20
Tennessee - 5

Blocks:
Arkansas - 2
Tennessee - 9

Steals:
Arkansas - 2
Tennessee - 10

Free Throws:
Arkansas - 8-10
Tennessee - 20-26

Fouls:
Arkansas - 22
Tennessee - 12
Yeah, and my assumption was they made up the distance with rebounding, but we made up ground there in the second to where they only ended up outrebounding us by five I believe. They just shot lights out and we, to put it nicely, didn’t

I saw Pons and Fulk both get away with one too. Was surprised they were not whistling these tonight.
Keon too 😬 he’s gotta be careful when he’s pivoting all over the paint, his foot hasn’t slipped a couple times and it’s gone uncalled

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
Certainly! We continue to win the turnover battle and gain extra possessions over our opponents. Along as we do keep doing that we will be hard to beat. Teams will have to outrebound us in order to even up the amount of possessions.

Also, it takes some really good shooting performances to keep up with us. Teams have to be really efficient and make the most of their chances. Bama shot 50% from the 3. Arky shot 40% from 3. Yes, we could have done a better job of contesting their shots, but we have weathered both of those performances while shooting 19% and 27% from 3. 1-1 is not too shabby considering that and hopefully we will be more efficient moving forward.

These stats emphasize the importance of defense in basketball. Really any sport. I goes to show that even in a game where you are blowing layups and generally misfiring on offense, if you can play solid defense in all categories, you will have a good chance to win all games you play in.

Certainly! We continue to win the turnover battle and gain extra possessions over our opponents. Along as we do keep doing that we will be hard to beat. Teams will have to outrebound us in order to even up the amount of possessions.

Also, it takes some really good shooting performances to keep up with us. Teams have to be really efficient and make the most of their chances. Bama shot 50% from the 3. Arky shot 40% from 3. Yes, we could have done a better job of contesting their shots, but we have weathered both of those performances while shooting 19% and 27% from 3. 1-1 is not too shabby considering that and hopefully we will be more efficient moving forward.

Tightly contested games and tough losses (as long as they are minimal) will prove very beneficial come tourney time. I think Bama and Arky games have taught this team quite a bit, especially the younger guys

Turnovers:
Arkansas - 20
Tennessee - 5

Blocks:
Arkansas - 2
Tennessee - 9

Steals:
Arkansas - 2
Tennessee - 10

Free Throws:
Arkansas - 8-10
Tennessee - 20-26

Fouls:
Arkansas - 22
Tennessee - 12
We made some dumb decisions down the stretch and also missed 3 layups in the first half. If we had executed better that is a 10 point win. They out rebounded us and shot A higher percentage from 3.

Last edited:
Yeah, and my assumption was they made up the distance with rebounding, but we made up ground there in the second to where they only ended up outrebounding us by five I believe. They just shot lights out and we, to put it nicely, didn’t
They finished +9 rebounding against us. And quite honestly, we didnt shoot poorly. We finished 27-60 (45%). Arkansas was better at 52.7%, but only hit two more total shots than we did. They were significantly more efficient from 3, but only hit 8 to our 5.

I think us missing so many shots from point blank range in the 1st half, missing 13 3s, and only collecting 6 ORebs was the difference. We were much more efficient in the 2nd half.

They finished +9 rebounding against us. And quite honestly, we didnt shoot poorly. We finished 27-60 (45%). Arkansas was better at 52.7%, but only hit two more total shots than we did. They were significantly more efficient from 3, but only hit 8 to our 5.

I think us missing so many shots from point blank range in the 1st half, missing 13 3s, and only collecting 6 ORebs was the difference. We were much more efficient in the 2nd half.
Whoops, dont know what I was seeing with the rebounds

Whoops, dont know what I was seeing with the rebounds
That is from the box score on ESPN. They may have it incorrect. Not sure. I knew we got beat on the boards, but I was shocked to see it was by that much. It didn't feel like it was that bad, but it does help to explain why the game was close, because none of the other numbers explain it.

Reactions: OneVolNation

Turnovers:
Arkansas - 20
Tennessee - 5

Blocks:
Arkansas - 2
Tennessee - 9

Steals:
Arkansas - 2
Tennessee - 10

Free Throws:
Arkansas - 8-10
Tennessee - 20-26

Fouls:
Arkansas - 22
Tennessee - 12
Made 3s and shooting % was the difference

Reactions: chuckiepoo
We made some dumb decisions down the stretch and also missed 3 layups in the first half. If we had executed better that is a 10 point win. They out rebounded us and shot s higher percentage from 3.
The missed layups, bunnies have got to stop. This has been a recurring theme this year. Maybe lack of practice, however, we have left at least 20 points at the rim so far this season

Reactions: StrangeVol

Turnovers:
Arkansas - 20
Tennessee - 5

Blocks:
Arkansas - 2
Tennessee - 9

Steals:
Arkansas - 2
Tennessee - 10

Free Throws:
Arkansas - 8-10
Tennessee - 20-26

Fouls:
Arkansas - 22
Tennessee - 12
Game was only close because we had a bad shooting night. Seems we shoot better on the road than at home.

Reactions: walkenvol
Tightly contested games and tough losses (as long as they are minimal) will prove very beneficial come tourney time. I think Bama and Arky games have taught this team quite a bit, especially the younger guys
Definitely. How about the excellent free throw shooting at the critical time at the end. Hope these guys remember when it happens again.

Reactions: gainesvol82

Turnovers:
Arkansas - 20
Tennessee - 5

Blocks:
Arkansas - 2
Tennessee - 9

Steals:
Arkansas - 2
Tennessee - 10

Free Throws:
Arkansas - 8-10
Tennessee - 20-26

Fouls:
Arkansas - 22
Tennessee - 12

Reason this comparison is so misleading - - - - SHOOTERS they have them, we don't....

The missed layups, bunnies have got to stop. This has been a recurring theme this year. Maybe lack of practice, however, we have left at least 20 points at the rim so far this season

Layups - - we look a little timid going for a layup to me. Look like the guys are trying to finesse the shot or "lightly lay it in". Me personally, like to see the the guys who attack on a layup like they are going to tear the goal down and at the same time destroy anyone in the way. I know they don't always make the shot, but I like to see this effort. I have come to this mindset over the years. Still like the "old style" of basketball played when I was young (50's- early 60's) where finesse and no hands and body checking were allowed or when you carried the ball or didn't keep you dribble hand mostly on to of the ball it was a sin. Now days,,, looks more like football with most guys likely making really good football players.

Turnovers:
Arkansas - 20
Tennessee - 5

Blocks:
Arkansas - 2
Tennessee - 9

Steals:
Arkansas - 2
Tennessee - 10

Free Throws:
Arkansas - 8-10
Tennessee - 20-26

Fouls:
Arkansas - 22
Tennessee - 12

I think that shows how important rebounding is. Had we rebounded as well as Arky, it would probably have been a double digit win.

Reactions: cncchris33

VN Store

Back