Trying to be objective in all this noise

I understand we've been shafted so many different times by the university, but if Fulmer was the one that vetoed the hire and not the board of trustees, that sounds like a healthy hiring process. Pruitt brought the name that would be best for the offense as a head coach is in charge of putting the best product he can on the field. Fulmer is in charge of not only the product on the field but the image away from football and the overall direction of the program.

If Fulmer deemed the baggage too much to overcome he told Pruitt to move on to the next name. If this is the case, it was probably decided early on in the process and they are now taking their time to get the next name right. Where this becomes a problem is if the process took too long and we lost out on chip Lindsey because of it. I don't know if Lindsey was his second choice or not but we don't know if the job was even offered to him. That brings me to my final point.

I think the uncertainty of the hiring process and the fact that everyone with "sources" has been full of it so far has irritated the fan base. No one knows how far along the freeze hire was when it got squashed and every single prediction on here from anybody with "sources" has been proven wrong when it comes to this search.

In reality, we all want the process to be close to the vest. There's nothing good that comes out of a publicized coaching search. They've done a masterful job of gathering attention without giving out too many details. We're still Tennessee. Were still a national brand and people are paying attention to our hire.

The names that have been mentioned would all be solid hires for our next OC. So sit back, relax, be happy they're not promoting within and try to control that BVS that hurts all of us so badly. And don't trust anybody that says they have sources cause they actually have no clue what's going on.

Last edited:
I understand we've been shafted so many different times by the university, but if Fulmer was the one that vetoed the hire and not the board of trustees, that sounds like a healthy hiring process.

Pruitt brought the name that would be best for the offense as a head coach is in charge of putting the best product he can on the field. Fulmer is in charge of not only the product on the field but the image away from football and the overall direction of the program. If Fulmer deemed the baggage too much to overcome he told Pruitt to move on to the next name.

If this is the case, it was probably decided early on in the process and they are now taking their time to get the next name right. Where this becomes a problem is if the process took too long and we lost out on chip Lindsey because of it. I don't know if Lindsey was his second choice or not but we don't know if the job was even offered to him.

That brings me to my final point. I think the uncertainty of the hiring process and the fact that everyone with "sources" has been full of it so far has irritated the fan base. No one knows how far along the freeze hire was when it got squashed and every single prediction on here from anybody with "sources" has been proven wrong when it comes to this search. In reality, we all want the process to be close to the vest.

There's nothing good that comes out of a publicized coaching search. They've done a masterful job of gathering attention without giving out too many details. We're still Tennessee. Were still a national brand and people are paying attention to our hire.

The names that have been mentioned would all be solid hires for our next OC. So sit back, relax, be happy they're not promoting within and try to control that BVS that hurts all of us so badly. And don't trust anybody that says they have sources cause they actually have no clue what's going on.

Formatting makes something easier to read.... just trying to be helpful.

I understand we've been shafted so many different times by the university, but if Fulmer was the one that vetoed the hire and not the board of trustees, that sounds like a healthy hiring process. Pruitt brought the name that would be best for the offense as a head coach is in charge of putting the best product he can on the field.

Fulmer is in charge of not only the product on the field but the image away from football and the overall direction of the program. If Fulmer deemed the baggage too much to overcome he told Pruitt to move on to the next name. If this is the case, it was probably decided early on in the process and they are now taking their time to get the next name right.

Where this becomes a problem is if the process took too long and we lost out on chip Lindsey because of it. I don't know if Lindsey was his second choice or not but we don't know if the job was even offered to him.

That brings me to my final point. I think the uncertainty of the hiring process and the fact that everyone with "sources" has been full of it so far has irritated the fan base. No one knows how far along the freeze hire was when it got squashed and every single prediction on here from anybody with "sources" has been proven wrong when it comes to this search. In reality, we all want the process to be close to the vest. There's nothing good that comes out of a publicized coaching search. They've done a masterful job of gathering attention without giving out too many details.

We're still Tennessee. Were still a national brand and people are paying attention to our hire. The names that have been mentioned would all be solid hires for our next OC. So sit back, relax, be happy they're not promoting within and try to control that BVS that hurts all of us so badly. And don't trust anybody that says they have sources cause they actually have no clue what's going on.

Threw in some white space there for ya.
It's good to remember that the attention span of us VN posters is approximately that of a cockroach. We need it simple.
tease2.gif

eta: whups, TennUhSee beat me to it
for OP: what you wrote is called a "wall of text" - break it up, and it's a lot easier to read.
hi.gif

Here is my big question, why should an AD be involved with an OC hire? Why is that not just a HC decision?
I don't know if it's as much "involved" as it is approving the hire. It's like if a CFO of apple says okay I've done all the calculations, we need to make x number more phones this year rather than last year. So the CEO looks over the data makes sure everything looks good and approves or rejects the decision.

Everybody has a job to do. Pruitt's job is to put the best product on the field. Fulmers job is to make sure Pruitt is doing everything he can to do that along with maintaining the image of the program.

I could be wrong about all of this. But strictly looking from the outside I see a business like approach to getting this hire right with a balance of performing on the field and maintaining the quality of the brand

Here is my big question, why should an AD be involved with an OC hire? Why is that not just a HC decision?

Because the AD is in charge of the athletic department and the OC will likely be the 3rd largest salary within the department....The financial health of the athletic department is somewhat dependent on this hire.

Sometimes another set of eyes is needed for hires. What if OSU had that oversight when they hired Zack Smith?

You think Tennessee will ever beat Vanderbilt in your lifetime?

1544086043881.gif

I doubt it.

Maybe something else was uncovered about Freeze during the vetting process....
Believe me when i say dan wolken, who obviously is a demon, wouldve found any bit of info and twisted it to twice the proportion if freeze had anything else in the closet. Why is it so hard to accept freeze is basically a good person who made a personal mistake? He was basically cleared by the ncaa in wrongdoing. Barney farrar was given a show cause. Hell, everyone in memphis and north ms still love coach freeze, and if the ole miss fans had their way he would come back to ole miss. He has suffered immensely, and lost his dream job through all of this. He has paid the price and been forgiven. He has been out of coaching two years. When are people going to let his past be forgotten? Why would ut even put him through this? Did they enjoy kicking a man who has been down one more time? This has been a very bad pr move by ut administration. The fans' overwhelming favorite is freeze, and if ut offense sucks again next year with his new oc it will be on the head of whomever made the choice. Obviously, ut doesnt care about volnation interests, yet fulmer claims volnation is vital to ut.

So you're saying Dave Clawson will be our new OC?
I find it funny that people on here still make fun of Dave Clawson. He didn’t have a successful season here but it wasn’t all on him. He is a P5 head coach now that just took Wake Forest to a bowl game for the 3rd season in a row. This is only the 2nd time it’s happened in school history. It’s obvious the guy can coach.

Maybe Pruitt and Fulmer were in agreement.
An interview doesn't mean he was Freeze or bust. Pruitt interviewed others also and they weren't hired either.

The hype about Freeze being the most wanted seems to have been generated by Freeze/Sexton. Local media ran with it then each found someone to blame.

I think many fans have done the same.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back