Travis: Tennessee Goes to Prom with its Cousin

Says it's a really bad hire. Says paying a 6 million dollar payout to a team that will probably hire a better coach is more than ridiculous. CFU is ok with it... most are happy, especially since they have regressed in the last 3 years... Good bye and good luck is what most of them are saying. Add that on to the fact that his staff was lackluster and he himself is a bad recruiter.... I never cared much for Clay Travis but here I think he is spot on. You can only hope for the best but I don't see it happening with this guy. As bad a hire as Pruitt.

You realize Clay went to Vandy, right? You think he has some bias against UT? He’s not a sports reporter in any sense, to call him a professional would be naive.

Reactions: kcvols1
Heupel would not have been my choice either, but (until he proves otherwise) he's not as bad a Pruitt and the dolt who hired Pruitt. I think the NCAA is going to hit us harder than anyone since SMU. If he can hold things together during the sanctioned years, then he will have us better positioned to hire someone worthy later on.

Says it's a really bad hire. Says paying a 6 million dollar payout to a team that will probably hire a better coach is more than ridiculous. CFU is ok with it... most are happy, especially since they have regressed in the last 3 years... Good bye and good luck is what most of them are saying. Add that on to the fact that his staff was lackluster and he himself is a bad recruiter.... I never cared much for Clay Travis but here I think he is spot on. You can only hope for the best but I don't see it happening with this guy. As bad a hire as Pruitt.

But what happened to all of the coaches, whose names would blow us away, that we’re reaching out to him to get an interview. Sorry but this guy just wants to make a living saying outlandish “hot” takes.

Heupel took over an undefeated team. He had nowhere to go but down. 12-1 (13 games played), 10-3 (13 games played), 6-4 (10 games played). So he lost 2 more games in year 2 and then lost 1 more game in year 3. It looks much worse when you look at year 3 with 13 game glasses. He was competitive in every game. We should know all about no being competitive.

I hope Clay is wrong. That being said, he’s been pretty accurate about our coaching hires and UT since Kiffin. I initially didn’t like him because I was too much of a homer when he was critical of Dooley.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
I think Clay Travis is an idiot. Period. The guy can flat out coach. He's developed some great ball players and QB's. And what struck me most during his press conference is the guy is GENUINELY excited, goosebumps even. This is a massive opportunity to showcase himself and his vision. Yall can go hate and suck something with another team. Get behind this coach and this university and this team. Leadership starts with ALL of us.

Reactions: lewis co vol
Travis has one agenda: Travis. Right, wrong, indifferent is irreverent as long as you talk about him. Congrats falling prey to his tactics.

Reactions: WilcoVolsFan
Clay was totally, 100% right. The sheep here doesn't like it because the truth hurts their little feelings. Thanks, Clay, for laying it on the table.

Lol. So VN calls Clay a troll on any given day because he is only saying things to get people to pay attention to him.

Now Clay Travis is legit because it fits some narratives. VN is the definition of bi polar.

Just read where CFU is looking hard at Chadwell. Now that is a smart move. Tennessee is actually doing CFU a big, big favor....and getting 6 million on top of it.

Excluding Franklin, their early lists looks about as strong as the Vols.

Chizik, Healey, Chadwell, Lanning from UGA, Johnson from FL, Lebby, plus their other internal candidates.

Clay is a click bait Sports Media Shock Jockey. That is what he does, spout off his opinions as fact then sets back and watches the reaction. Sports opinion personality is the best job in the world if you can get it . You are not really held accountable for anything you put out as fact and if what you are saying is proven wrong you just say "OOPS !! " and move on to your next topic. They will say anything within reason, true or not, to get a reaction, massage their egos, fill their bank accounts and stay relevant.

But what happened to all of the coaches, whose names would blow us away, that we’re reaching out to him to get an interview. Sorry but this guy just wants to make a living saying outlandish “hot” takes.

Heupel took over an undefeated team. He had nowhere to go but down. 12-1 (13 games played), 10-3 (13 games played), 6-4 (10 games played). So he lost 2 more games in year 2 and then lost 1 more game in year 3. It looks much worse when you look at year 3 with 13 game glasses. He was competitive in every game. We should know all about no being competitive.
He did not beat one team with a winning record last year.

I like the guy. I like Whitlock, too. I find his show to be relevant and entertaining most of the time. I unlike some don't require someone in sports talk radio to be in 100% agreeance with me on every micro-issue over the course of ten years in order to not label them a bunch of horrible things. I also like Phil Steele's show for a quick plug. Now to what Clay said, it's a hot take that may or may not ring true as time goes, but at this moment I'd say a whole bunch of people share some of that sentiment. While as an adult with the ability to reason I understand why we got who we got why we can't get some others, however, it would still sting a little extra to know the little school who's declining coach you stole hired the guy a large portion of your fanbase wanted as the "homerun" hire in the first place. While I get it and it all may be moot in three years, in this moment it doesn't feel super. Basically I feel the same way I did about Pruitt at first (decent but not great), but the added weight in this situation would be like Gruden getting hired by Chattanooga or somewhere like that a few days later. Yikes. On the bright side maybe our coach will turn out to be better in every way and we'll finally score points in games. It could happen. I hope it happens. I've been hoping over and again for many years. What's a few more going to hurt? Go Vols!

VN Store

Back