Transmission Shop Advice

At only 70k miles, my Wrangler's tranny is apparently bad. The dealer wants $5,500!!!!!!
It's only a few months out of the 5 y/100k PT warranty, but customer service was of no help.

I'm thinking of having it towed tomorrow for a quote from someone other than the dealer. AAMCO? First Automotive in Farragut? Thoughts?
Have you contacted the dealer directly to open a case?

I’ve also picked up parts from LKQ. Got a transmission this past year and all said and done, parts and labor was 2k. You’ll have to find an installer. The part will be used but likely have some warranty.

Reactions: BennesseeVols
At only 70k miles, my Wrangler's tranny is apparently bad. The dealer wants $5,500!!!!!!
It's only a few months out of the 5 y/100k PT warranty, but customer service was of no help.

I'm thinking of having it towed tomorrow for a quote from someone other than the dealer. AAMCO? First Automotive in Farragut? Thoughts?
Try aguyandagarage.com they specialize in jeeps, owner is really nice. He used to let me borrow one of their bays to work on stuff myself. They do full v8 swaps on jeeps, so he might have a lead on where to get a good used transmission cheap.

My latest two Jeeps came with lifetime powertrain warranties. I know it was factored into the price, but that's how they were selling them at Franklin Jeep as of a few years ago.

haven't ever used these folks but this could be an option....I would tend to go with a re-manufactured versus a rebuilt.

Remanufactured W5A580 Transmissions | Street Smart® Transmission

^ THIS is exactly what you should do! You can change it yourself. It comes with a new torque converter and 3 year warranty. I have a reman like this in my wife's Suburban. It came from LKQ.

*Technically a remanufactured transmission is the same as rebuilt. It's just rebuilt at a factory, not at a local shop. You do typically get a better warranty. Make sure you flush the lines and cooler.

Have it "stolen."
That's old school! Back in the day, in larger cities with big airports you could park your vehicle in long-term parking. Wait a week or so and call it in. Also, you can drive your vehicle to a shady part of town. Leave it running, walk into a store, take your time, it will be gone.

If all else fails, I have a damn good friend in Newport that is one Hell of a "magician" at making vehicles disappear.

Update: apparently, it was the torque converter that went out. Problem is that it threw metal fins into the tranny. Was able to locate a lightly used option, having it installed for $3600 total. Still a lot, but $2k under dealer price
do you still have the pay the 500 extortion to the dealership ?

I have not. A few trips off road, but nothing crazy.

@Freak : it started making an incredibly-bad growling sound while driving that improves at speed and becomes much worse at idle. Changes to a higher-pitched squeal when put into gear and some early acceleration lag.

Shouldn't have let wife borrow it?

Yes. I've left two messages for the manager, who has still not returned my call. One more attempt tomorrow, then I start leaving reviews online.

And if you paid with a credit card (especially Amex), a credit card protest.....

Yes. I've left two messages for the manager, who has still not returned my call. One more attempt tomorrow, then I start leaving reviews online.
$500 seems a little excessive but you can't really expect them to open up your transmission and diagnose it for free.

do you still have the pay the 500 extortion to the dealership ?
i called the GM and told him (in my experience) what i thought of their crockery. he asked me what i thought their time was worth? So, I told him. Didnt pay the $200

Reactions: 508mikey

VN Store

Back