Transmission Shop Advice

Roustabout

At only 70k miles, my Wrangler's tranny is apparently bad. The dealer wants $5,500!!!!!!
It's only a few months out of the 5 y/100k PT warranty, but customer service was of no help.

I'm thinking of having it towed tomorrow for a quote from someone other than the dealer. AAMCO? First Automotive in Farragut? Thoughts?
Have you contacted the dealer directly to open a case?

BennesseeVols

It's a happy enchilada
At only 70k miles, my Wrangler's tranny is apparently bad. The dealer wants $5,500!!!!!!
It's only a few months out of the 5 y/100k PT warranty, but customer service was of no help.

I'm thinking of having it towed tomorrow for a quote from someone other than the dealer. AAMCO? First Automotive in Farragut? Thoughts?
Try aguyandagarage.com they specialize in jeeps, owner is really nice. He used to let me borrow one of their bays to work on stuff myself. They do full v8 swaps on jeeps, so he might have a lead on where to get a good used transmission cheap.

SycloneJoe

haven't ever used these folks but this could be an option....I would tend to go with a re-manufactured versus a rebuilt.

Remanufactured W5A580 Transmissions | Street Smart® Transmission

^ THIS is exactly what you should do! You can change it yourself. It comes with a new torque converter and 3 year warranty. I have a reman like this in my wife's Suburban. It came from LKQ.

*Technically a remanufactured transmission is the same as rebuilt. It's just rebuilt at a factory, not at a local shop. You do typically get a better warranty. Make sure you flush the lines and cooler.

VN Store

Sponsors