Transmission Shop Advice

kiddiedoc

Renaissance Man
Staff member
At only 70k miles, my Wrangler's tranny is apparently bad. The dealer wants $5,500!!!!!!
It's only a few months out of the 5 y/100k PT warranty, but customer service was of no help.

I'm thinking of having it towed tomorrow for a quote from someone other than the dealer. AAMCO? First Automotive in Farragut? Thoughts?

At only 70k miles, my Wrangler's tranny is apparently bad. The dealer wants $5,500!!!!!!
It's only a few months out of the 5 y/100k PT warranty, but customer service was of no help.

I'm thinking of having it towed tomorrow for a quote from someone other than the dealer. AAMCO? First Automotive in Farragut? Thoughts?
Have it "stolen."

I’ve always heard AAMCO but it’s been years since I’ve dealt with them. Out of curiosity, was the issue you were having that made you take it in?

Your tranny shouldn’t be going out that early unless you have really ragged that Jeep out lol
I have not. A few trips off road, but nothing crazy.

@Freak : it started making an incredibly-bad growling sound while driving that improves at speed and becomes much worse at idle. Changes to a higher-pitched squeal when put into gear and some early acceleration lag.

Reactions: Freak
Shop said when they got into it, the fluid was low and almost black as oil, like had been burned out

Icing on the cake: the dealer is charging me over $500 for opening and looking in the transmission if I don't get it fixed there.

By no means am I a car expert, but I'm actually having trouble understanding how the transmission could make such a terrible noise in "park" or "neutral." The rhythmic grinding, loud, terrible sound begins immediately when you crank the engine, is coming from the lower/central area below the engine, changes to a higher pitched whine when put into reverse or drive, and often clears once up to speed. It returns when I slow down or come to a stop at a red light.

Any other thoughts? I started with Firestone, and they couldn't figure out what was wrong, which is how I ended up at the stealership.

I was ripped off by AAMCO a long time ago - a couple months after they supposedly fixed it it began leaking worse than it did before I took it there ( and I was out of town when it happened) They are locally owned so I guess its the luck of the draw

By no means am I a car expert, but I'm actually having trouble understanding how the transmission could make such a terrible noise in "park" or "neutral." The rhythmic grinding, loud, terrible sound begins immediately when you crank the engine, is coming from the lower/central area below the engine, changes to a higher pitched whine when put into reverse or drive, and often clears once up to speed. It returns when I slow down or come to a stop at a red light.

Any other thoughts? I started with Firestone, and they couldn't figure out what was wrong, which is how I ended up at the stealership.
maybe the driveshaft and not the transmission

Reactions: Jackcrevol
Check the local junk yards and find a replacement... surely there must be some jeep transmissions available in TN.

VN Store

Back