Transfers?

Maybe we can get Coombs to come here! And Patterson too!

I would say nay to both. Only players I would accept as incoming transfers are players who can play immediately (Grad Transfers). Patterson at 6'3" also (only) wants to play the 3 spot. I would be okay with Coombs because of our lack of backcourt debt but as Amb stated you have to have a PG who has a willingness to atleast put the ball in the basket. There is nothing wrong with being a primary facilitator but when no one else on my team can score and I need a basket my point guard has to be able to deliver.

I would say nay to both. Only players I would accept as incoming transfers are players who can play immediately (Grad Transfers). Patterson at 6'3" also (only) wants to play the 3 spot. I would be okay with Coombs because of our lack of backcourt debt but as Amb stated you have to have a PG who has a willingness to atleast put the ball in the basket. There is nothing wrong with being a primary facilitator but when no one else on my team can score and I need a basket my point guard has to be able to deliver.

Stephanie WATTS!!! Would be a great addition!

Kellie will have her hands full trying to teach Massengill and Burrell how to put the ball in the basket. Someone else can have the Coombs Challenge.

I have no idea how players like Coombs and Massengill could be rated so highly, yet lack the fundamental ability to shoot the basketball and have it go in the hoop.
+1000000000 I’m glad someone other than me sees that with Massengill! It’s like pulling teeth trying to get the people in our Facebook LadyVol group to realize she sucks on offense.....bad!

Reactions: sccshortstop
+1000000000 I’m glad someone other than me sees that with Massengill! It’s like pulling teeth trying to get the people in our Facebook LadyVol group to realize she sucks on offense.....bad!

Massengill's lack of shooting ability wouldn't be so bad if there was anything that she could do well: play defense, make nifty passes, attack the basket...anything. The problem is she doesn't do anything particularly well. So far, I don't see a player who should be starting at an above average P5 school. She is a huge project. I hope Kellie is patient with that one...

That's what makes Evina's transfer even more challenging. There is no one on the team who can slot in, which puts the responsibility on Jordan.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
I've said before, I don't see any additional transfers from the team. Maria also posted the same thing on the Summitt.

I do think Tennessee is in good shape to receive a transfer or two for next year.

Good to hear and I hope you are right. To clarify, I thought this latest buzz was sparked by Maria recently posting on the SummiTT that more transfers might be coming. Is that incorrect info?

Reactions: mcannon1
I've said before, I don't see any additional transfers from the team. Maria also posted the same thing on the Summitt.

I do think Tennessee is in good shape to receive a transfer or two for next year.
Thanks as usual Raider...👍 LVFL 🧡🏀

Do you have any idea of the positions they are potentially looking at transferring in? Not looking for players names, just the positions they play.

Massengill's lack of shooting ability wouldn't be so bad if there was anything that she could do well: play defense, make nifty passes, attack the basket...anything. The problem is she doesn't do anything particularly well. So far, I don't see a player who should be starting at an above average P5 school. She is a huge project. I hope Kellie is patient with that one...

That's what makes Evina's transfer even more challenging. There is no one on the team who can slot in, which puts the responsibility on Jordan.

Her playing time was plenty limited and playing PG as a freshman can be overwhelming. She had some good moments during the season. Just like Evina, a shot can come a long way in the off season. I don't see any reason to single out her defense; the whole team was generally bad. But she has the athleticism and just needs some discipline on positioning. It is not uncommon for high school stars to start out as poor defenders. Holly just did not seem to help her freshmen players get up to speed defensively.

I would suggest that we put all player assessments on hold until we see how they look under Kellie.

Last edited:
Take off the blinders for a second and you'll see Holly's record isn't that bad. While she couldn't keep Tennessee at the level we've grown accustomed to, that doesn't translate to her being a "horrible" coach. I'm sure if she wants to coach elsewhere, there will be teams interested.
That is making a macro-evaluation of her coaching, though. Using a micro-evaluation and actually breaking down some of the more troubling losses (to un-ranked opponents at home), you consistently see horrible game management from Holly strategically, which directly contributed to some close losses in games they should have won. I will only cite one such example but there are several of these I could point toward:

On January 21, Tennessee held "We Back Pat" night. The Lady Vols were already on a 4 game losing streak and playing an un-ranked opponent in Arkansas. With 11.2 seconds left in the game, Evina Westbrook hit two free throws to give Tennessee a one point lead at 79-78. Arkansas chose not to call a timeout and advance the ball to half court, and in-bounded quickly to Malica Monk who was faced with the task of going the length of the court... and since Tennessee had only been called for 4 team fouls, they were left with 3 to give before sending Arkansas to the free throw line. Any coach from the junior high ranks on up worth their merit would have had their team prepared to use their fouls to give in that situation... but Holly did not. Instead, Malica Monk drove the distance and sank an 8 footer with 3.6 seconds left in the game to give Arkansas an 80-79 lead - which would be the final score. If Tennessee had fouled Monk as soon as she crossed half court, like they should have, there would have been about 6 seconds left on the game clock. They would still have had 2 fouls to give with Arkansas in-bounding the ball from half court. If coached properly, Tennessee could have used those fouls and easily milked another 3 seconds off the clock. This would have left Arkansas with about 3 seconds to work the ball in play and get off a shot while Tennessee could have double teamed Monk on the in-bounds pass and forced someone else to beat them. Arkansas would have been faced with putting up a last second heave instead of a high percentage 8 foot jumper. That was some of the worst coaching I have ever seen... it would have never happened under Pat Summitt. Putting records aside, Holly was just a terrible coach.

Bingo. Jazz really doesn’t have to score much if she can learn to distribute without turning it over and play defense. Her defense was abysmal all season last year and Holly seemed oblivious. She was a massive liability. The A&M game was the most glaring example for me. Kayla Wells hit like 3 treys right in her face and Massengill never closed out or put her hands up the whole night. She let her light us up.

Reactions: Amb3096
Her playing time was plenty limited and playing PG as a freshman can be overwhelming. She had some good moments during the season. Just like Evina, a shot can come a long way in the off season. I don't see any reason to single out her defense; though whole was generally bad. But she has the athleticism and just needs some discipline on positioning. It is not uncommon for high school stars to start out as poor defenders. Holly just did not seem to help her freshmen players get up to speed defensively.

I would suggest that we put all player assessments on hold until we see how they look under Kellie.

I'm sure Massengill will be better off coached by Kellie than Holly. Doesn't change that she's still a big time project...not like Evina who came in with obvious skills that needed fine tuning. Massengill is far from that level. She may be a contributor by her junior year, but her game needs a ton of work.

Bingo. Jazz really doesn’t have to score much if she can learn to distribute without turning it over and play defense. Her defense was abysmal all season last year and Holly seemed oblivious. She was a massive liability. The A&M game was the most glaring example for me. Kayla Wells hit like 3 treys right in her face and Massengill never closed out or put her hands up the whole night. She let her light us up.
If Massengill can become like the similarly named Holmes from MSST -- a superb athlete with limited range on her jumper, but a superb playmaker, defender, and money from 10-15 ft -- then Tennessee would be absolutely blessed. Otherwise, she is at best a backup 10-12 mpg type player.

Reactions: VolBall09
Good to hear and I hope you are right. To clarify, I thought this latest buzz was sparked by Maria recently posting on the SummiTT that more transfers might be coming. Is that incorrect info?

She posted that she worded her response very badly. She meant that she expects transfers because transfers a part of the landscape now. She was speaking in general terms, not specifically to Tennessee.

She posted that she worded her response very badly. She meant that she expects transfers because transfers a part of the landscape now. She was speaking in general terms, not specifically to Tennessee.

Thank you! The trigger happy folks on the LV Facebook page have taken maria's "uncorrected" post and run off into wild speculation land.

Holy crap UConn is so screwed :D:D:D

They have 4 talented starters, but have zilch after that. Coombs was their only backup guard. If the UK transfer isn't healthy, they will only have 7 players on their roster, and #5 is a freshman and 6/7 aren't any good.

I plan on breaking out the popcorn good :cool:!
I really hope you guys get better. The better teams/fans dont spend much time gloating over the possible shortcomings of others.

VN Store

Back