Transfers?

Take off the blinders for a second and you'll see Holly's record isn't that bad. While she couldn't keep Tennessee at the level we've grown accustomed to, that doesn't translate to her being a "horrible" coach. I'm sure if she wants to coach elsewhere, there will be teams interested.

It's actually the opposite, in my view. Her record looks good in isolation. When taking into consideration the level of talent she had on her team, then the record is pretty bad. Maybe good for Ole Miss, but not good for a team with 5-7 McD AAs at all time. If she was at a school other than Tennessee, I don't believe she could replicate that performance because a.) she wouldn't be able to recruit as easily (Tennessee practically recruits itself) and b.) lesser talent on her team + poor coaching = lots of losses. I don't think I'm alone in noticing this, which is why I believe she "retired". She knows that no one would be interested in her despite her relatively good record because she would not be able to come anywhere close to repeating that somewhere else. It's like she was dropped off at mile 20 of a marathon while everyone started at 0, and she's being congratulated for finishing 4th.

The salary max in the WNBA is about $115,000. My daughter graduated 5 years ago and is making $140K. It absolutely makes sense to finish your five years of eligibility and leave school with a good degree. If you’re not a top player, women’s college basketball is a great way to get your tuition paid, but there is more money in hooking up with a good company after you graduate.

This is all about marketing. The wnba's lack of success is all about lack of imagination in marketing. I lived in Atlanta I saw two signs for the Atlanta Dream 1 on each end of the city. I saw maybe half a dozen commercials in the first year. Compare that maybe 10-12 signs around the city and with nightly spots for the NBA

The WNBA right now has found one marketing demographic that is consistent at every Arena.

What they've missed is the other potential marketing demographic, the kids. They have AAU and yboa nights at the arena and kids populate that place like crazy then they forget about them.

The WNBA could be a lot more successful than it is but it's not being run like a business, it's being really like someone's possession

Reactions: MAD
Well if the current players and their Mamas read this board like most of the posters on here think then all they see is every time someone new adds to the transfer portal several on here start screaming "Oh she had us on her list at one time we need her she can start for us next year" SMH! If I was a players mama I would say they dont think you are good enough so we will leave! Be careful with your we want everybody posts they can be hurtful to current players and their Mamas!

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Think that we should take the approach that rumors are just rumors without substantiation. If folks want to speculate, that 's their privilege, of course. But regardless of what happens/doesn't happen, there's no point in getting worked up over it. Whatever will be will be.

Unless there is a systemic problem causing mass transfers out of a specific program (usually reacting to specific actions by a coach/staff), this is going to become more and more common. We have been the recipients of valuable transfers in the past ( Nobles, Marciniak, etc.), and athletes have moved for a variety of reasons including but not limited to PT, desire to win a championship, "irreconcilable differences," etc. It gives the appearance that transfers are becoming as common as changing majors. At least relatively few players leave early to turn pro since they don't have the financial incentives presented to the men.

A couple of things to note about Kellie. First, she tends to use her bench a lot. That strategy really helped her wear down more talented teams and develop the young talent. Second, according to some MO State board posters, she has a strong preference to developing talent in-house over taking transfers. Doesn't mean that she won't take them, just that it doesn't appear to be a priority the way it is with some coaches. That may change with new coaching circumstances and the opportunity to attract impact players given Tennessee's recruiting advantages.

If there are going to be other transfers then wonder what the holdup is making the decision. Already held one on one meetings with the players they know who the coach is so if it is going to happen has to be soon May 28th new semester.

UConn sophomore Mikayla Coombs (5-8 guard, Buford, GA) has entered her name into the transfer portal. She played in 31 games off the bench during 2018-19, averaging 11.5 MPG and scoring a total of 27 points. She was ranked #13 in the 2017 class per espnW.

Also UConn has Danielle Patterson on there radar

UConn sophomore Mikayla Coombs (5-8 guard, Buford, GA) has entered her name into the transfer portal. She played in 31 games off the bench during 2018-19, averaging 11.5 MPG and scoring a total of 27 points. She was ranked #13 in the 2017 class per espnW.

If Vic picked up Coombs, he would have 2 transfers from UConn.

Maybe we can get Coombs to come here! And Patterson too!

Holy crap UConn is so screwed :D:D:D

They have 4 talented starters, but have zilch after that. Coombs was their only backup guard. If the UK transfer isn't healthy, they will only have 7 players on their roster, and #5 is a freshman and 6/7 aren't any good.

I plan on breaking out the popcorn good :cool:!

Reactions: BowlBrother85
Maybe we can get Coombs to come here! And Patterson too!

Kellie will have her hands full trying to teach Massengill and Burrell how to put the ball in the basket. Someone else can have the Coombs Challenge.

I have no idea how players like Coombs and Massengill could be rated so highly, yet lack the fundamental ability to shoot the basketball and have it go in the hoop.

That would be a very good pickup for the vols. Remember UConn needs 1-2 more post or wing

Assuming no one leaves, I think Tennessee has a nice looking roster to work with right now. Patterson would be a nice-to-have, but Tennessee already has several posts that she is not really needed...especially since she won't be suiting up until 2020.

VN Store

Back