6 regular season SEC titles
6 SEC tourney titles
5 30 win seasons
4 Final Fours
6 Elite Eights
25-6 team that won the SEC one season ago
30-7 with an Elite Eight two seasons ago

here is what you posted

-I’ve seen Barnes out coach Cal plenty of times.

- You’re not going to convince me or others that UK is going to magically be a Final Four contender

-Will they be good? Probably but I think you’re overrating them a tad bit.

- If there’s one coach we need to worry about in the SEC, it’s Nate Oats.

- This year won’t be any different.

-I live in Kentucky and let me tell you, most of the die hard UK fans I know have the exact same opinion as I do.

- Most of them will tell you Cal has underachieved with as many 1st round draft picks as he’s had during his time at Kentucky.

Literally everything you posted is an opinion. You didn’t give one fact or figure to back up any of your claims

Cal isn’t a threat anymore.

SEC has a come a long way when it comes to having quality coaches.

UK fans are ready to move on from him for a reason.

Well that’s fine in of itself. I’m not up at night not able to sleep because of what Kentucky has (or anything related to college basketball).

But if you ask who is UT’s biggest threat this year and based on the past, it’s clearly Kentucky.

Yea, well, Kentucky has literally been good at basketball since 1930. Nothing new. But no reason to go crazy about it because Barnes has shown he can beat Cal...and with bad teams.

You do not know what facts are then. Here are facts I posted:

A national title
78.5% win percentage,
6 regular season SEC titles
6 SEC tourney titles
5 30 win seasons
4 Final Fours
6 Elite Eights
25-6 team that won the SEC one season ago
30-7 with an Elite Eight two seasons ago

here is what you posted

-I’ve seen Barnes out coach Cal plenty of times.

- You’re not going to convince me or others that UK is going to magically be a Final Four contender

-Will they be good? Probably but I think you’re overrating them a tad bit.

- If there’s one coach we need to worry about in the SEC, it’s Nate Oats.

- This year won’t be any different.

-I live in Kentucky and let me tell you, most of the die hard UK fans I know have the exact same opinion as I do.

- Most of them will tell you Cal has underachieved with as many 1st round draft picks as he’s had during his time at Kentucky.

Literally everything you posted is an opinion. You didn’t give one fact or figure to back up any of your claims

I've been dealing with Calipari since I was a student at a rival school back when he was at UMass in the early 90s. He is a great coach and I very much enjoy it every single time we beat him.

Cal isn’t a threat anymore.

SEC has a come a long way when it comes to having quality coaches.

UK fans are ready to move on from him for a reason.

He won the SEC in 2019-2020 with a 25-6 record.

If Kentucky and Cal isn’t a threat then neither is Barnes.

Reactions: Catbone
I live in Kentucky and let me tell you, most of the die hard UK fans I know have the exact same opinion as I do.

Most of them will tell you Cal has underachieved with as many 1st round draft picks as he’s had during his time at Kentucky.

That’s not having a “terrible opinion” that’s called stating facts.
Even if the talent dictates a 35 win team and they are a 30 win type team, that’s still a problem for us. People bag on Cal, reasonably enough, for underachieving relative to the talent he has. But acquiring that talent is half the battle. If my program wins 30 games, I’m not gonna care that much whether it’s done with 12 5 stars on the roster or a bunch of 2 stars

Cmon dude. He very much directly denied us our first tournament title in decades as recently as 2018

As bad as I’d hate to say it, Barnes struggles more against Pearl, Wade, & Oats in the SEC than he does Cal.

Usually every year we split the series against UK.

More final fours, more title appearances, more overall SEC titles, more Elite Eights, better win percentage and in a much tougher competitive environment with one less year and didn’t get a postseason bc of COVID.
Took over for Rupp. Less tourney spots. Many seasons you needed to win your regular season conference title to even dance…pretty tough. Couldn’t just get hot during the SEC Tournament. Cal has better numbers but it’s not the runaway you’re pitching. Anyone alive before the 90’s could understand Hall outranking him.

Took over for Rupp. Less tourney spots. Many seasons you needed to win your regular season conference title to even dance…pretty tough. Couldn’t just get hot during the SEC Tournament. Cal has better numbers but it’s not the runaway you’re pitching. Anyone alive before the 90’s could understand Hall outranking him.

Again, I’m not trying to disparage Joe B Hall. He did very well.

I’m just saying Calipari has had the better coaching career and that’s not even including his UMass and Memphis stints. Joe B Hall also coached in an 10 team conference where half the teams didn’t care about basketball most of the time and it was an easier environment to win (talent easier to accumulate, no early draft entries, guaranteed sweet sixteen for the first portion of his career if you made the tourney even tho it was harder to get in).

I remember the last Kentucky didn’t make the NCAAT. They went to two straight Final Fours.

Anybody not worried about Kentucky this year and Calipari is being woefully ignorant
We have the better coach. We have the number one PG in the country. I’m not worried about a used car salesman. We need to drop the “fear” factor with Kentucky or any team. We have the pieces. Go stomp a mud hole dry in em.

Not directed at you Z, just a general statement BTW.

Reactions: VolFreakJosh

I’m just saying Calipari has had the better coaching career and that’s not even including his UMass and Memphis stints. Joe B Hall also coached in an 10 team conference where half the teams didn’t care about basketball most of the time and it was an easier environment to win (talent easier to accumulate, no early draft entries, guaranteed sweet sixteen for the first portion of his career if you made the tourney even tho it was harder to get in).
Overall career. Have to include UMass and Memphis on his success chart. Solely at Kentucky? Not so disparate and some could sell the program relativity as well as brand was run better by Hall. I wouldn’t consider the one and done thing a hardship for Calipari since he purposefully built his program that route. Kentucky in the 70’s and 80’s had a dominant Indiana in their path and annual opponent…kind of an equalizer.

We have the better coach. We have the number one PG in the country. I’m not worried about a used car salesman. We need to drop the “fear” factor with Kentucky or any team. We have the pieces. Go stomp a mud hole dry in em.

Not directed at you Z, just a general statement BTW.

Exactly!

Barnes does well against Cal’s style of play.

You can’t worry about what others are doing. You worry about yourself.

And...yes, you can win those things with them still being good. We can speculate about many things, but I have enough gray hair from things that I can control.
True, but with that approach, why worry about anyone, then? Makes for a boring conversation if we can't discuss the relative strength of opposing league members solely based on the "worry about yourself" mantra. JMO.

Pat Summit of Men's Basketball?

As bad as I’d hate to say it, Barnes struggles more against Pearl, Wade, & Oats in the SEC than he does Cal.

Usually every year we split the series against UK.
Once again, it isn't as simple as a Barnes vs Cal argument. To say so is an extreme oversimplification. Rick Barnes, himself, would tell you his team has bigger goals than simply beating Kentucky.

And, no, Cal isn't the best coach in the SEC, but he usually has the best collection of raw talent, and this year, he mixes in experience and leadership that was missing in previous years.

True, but with that approach, why worry about anyone, then? Makes for a boring conversation if we can't discuss the relative strength of opposing league members solely based on the "worry about yourself" mantra. JMO.

I know it’s a message board, but I’ve watched Cal for years, being in Memphis. Of course, he’s going to have good players, and it’s Kentucky. But he won’t be the best coach in the conference, and Barnes has beaten him enough for me to not chalk those games up as automatic losses. It’s a much different rivalry than it was 6+ years ago, and the board is freaking out and “worried.” In any time of my 41 years following UT basketball, this is the longest stretch where it’s the least that I have worried when playing Kentucky.

Last edited:
I know it’s a message board, but I’ve watched Cal for years, being in Memphis. Of course, he’s going to have good players, and it’s Kentucky. But he won’t be the best coach in the conference, and Barnes has beaten him enough for me to not chalk those games up as automatic losses. It’s a much different rivalry than it was 6+ years ago, and the board is freaking out and “worried.” In any time of my 41 years following UT basketball, this is the longest stretch where it’s the least that I have worried when playing Kentucky.
If the crux of the argument was Barnes/Tennessee vs Cal/Kentucky, we'd have no disagreement, but that wasn't the original discussion.

It's fine to not be worried about whether Tennessee can compete with Kentucky. I think we have proven that we clearly can. It's an entirely different discussion to simply dismiss them as a threat and a rival within the SEC and national picture, especially in light of their shift in roster construction and management.

Coaching is base on evaluating, recruiting, developing, coaching in practice, game management and coaching in a game. Rarely to you find a coach that completely excels at all. Rick and Cal has some similar skills sets. Rick seems to be a better evaluator & developer. Cal seems to be a better recruiter. The interesting skill set is adaptation. Devoe did not adapt to 45 sec clock & 3 point line quickly. Cal adapted to the 1 and done quicker. Adapation to the new transfer market & NIL market will an additional factor to determine the success of a team.

@zjcvols you never posted that night all those top programs above Tennessee?

You did the work for me remember! Also we need to say…there is a couple schools you could argue to be ahead like USC where they went 22-9 and could have made a postseason run but didn’t get a chance too because of COVID.

So…here’s my list of schools that I would list have had more success or the same amount over the last six years since Barnes got here. I didn’t look up every single situation and there have been some schools that don’t have a high like 31 wins, but also been to more tournaments or been farther (Florida, Wisconsin for example) that I’d have to think about a little more

Gonzaga
Michigan
Texas Tech
Baylor
Kentucky
Duke
Oregon
Michigan State
North Carolina
Kansas
Villanova
Auburn
Florida State
Maryland
Purdue
Arizona

You did the work for me remember! Also we need to say…there is a couple schools you could argue to be ahead like USC where they went 22-9 and could have made a postseason run but didn’t get a chance too because of COVID.

So…here’s my list of schools that I would list have had more success or the same amount over the last six years since Barnes got here. I didn’t look up every single situation and there have been some schools that don’t have a high like 31 wins, but also been to more tournaments or been farther (Florida, Wisconsin for example) that I’d have to think about a little more

Gonzaga
Michigan
Texas Tech
Baylor
Kentucky
Duke
Oregon
Michigan State
North Carolina
Kansas
Villanova
Auburn
Florida State
Maryland
Purdue
Arizona

I’m not sure what your criteria are but what exactly has Kentucky, Arizona, or Maryland done over the past few years that Tennessee has not? Is the standard just “Make it to the Elite 8” because Arizona has been terrible. They haven’t made it to an Elite 8 since 2014. Kentucky has won an SEC Tournament but how could you possibly argue they’ve had more success than TN recently outside of that?

VN Store

Back