Transfer Portal Thread

No one is saying that one-and-dones definitively don't win games, either, though. The implication behind your theory, however, is seemingly to pass the idea off as absolute, and the argument is that there is more to it that just having elite freshman talent with zero experience. And it has been proven that over the course of recent history, teams with talent AND experience have won more championships than teams with mercenary rosters of one-and-done freshmen.

Using your 3 examples (Duke, UNC, and Kentucky) as proof hasn't strengthened your argument over recent history, either, as they have a combined two Final 4 appearances across the past five NCAATs, both by UNC in 2016 and 2017, and neither team powered by a single freshman starter.
I guess having a good bench doesn’t help a team out? I feel like im arguing with three year olds here.. anybody debating the fact getting the top 40 high school players do not help teams in the win column is ludicrous

I guess having a good bench doesn’t help a team out? I feel like im arguing with three year olds here.. anybody debating the fact getting the top 40 high school players do not help teams in the win column is ludicrous
Arguing with 3-year olds? 😆 Says the one hurling minor league insults.

Also, since you're shifting the argument from one-and-done freshman to top-40 bench players, let me know where you'll move the goalposts next, and we can skip the back and forth.

As to the bolded, literally no one has said that.

How else can I say it? No one is opposed to taking talented players. No one is even opposed to taking on kids who will be one-and-done. We are just saying that having one-and-done players is not as fail-safe, nor the guarantee of championship-level results that you are promoting. Two posters, myself, and @VolGee4 have provided you evidence of such, and your own evidence has beared out that in the last 12 years only 4 instances has the model returned a championship. A lot of that success was frontloaded, too, as programs adjusted to the model. Recent history has not provided hardly even a F4 appearance, let alone a title.

Reactions: berryvol
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/sports/march-madness-one-and-dones/

Read up guys in the past 10 years one and dones have been contributors in 4 championship teams..to say they don’t help win championships is also ludicrous

I skimmed it. What 4 championship teams were those? Because I listed them my previous post. Baylor, Virginia, Villanova, UNC, UConn, and UL didn’t really have one and done contributors. Nova’s first title may have had some contributions from freshmen, but they technically weren’t one and done.

What’s ironic is that this article was written during the season when Duke had 3 of the top 6 recruits...and not only did they not win, they didn’t even make the FF.

The data is out there and pretty clear. You can choose to spin it how you want. One and dones are fine to have, but you need much of your contributions to be from multi-year experienced players that are roughly in top 100...at least that’s what the last 6 years have brought us.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
I skimmed it. What 4 championship teams were those? Because I listed them my previous post. Baylor, Virginia, Villanova, UNC, UConn, and UL didn’t really have one and done contributors. Nova’s first title may have had some contributions from freshmen, but they technically weren’t one and done.

What’s ironic is that this article was written during the season when Duke had 3 of the top 6 recruits...and not only did they not win, they didn’t even make the FF.

The data is out there and pretty clear. You can choose to spin it how you want. One and dones are fine to have, but you need much of your contributions to be from multi-year experienced players that are roughly in top 100...at least that’s what the last 6 years have brought us.
Lol the data is out there that in the past ten years 4 championships have been won by teams that had one and dones… what argument do you have?

So we seem dead set on adding Tamba and holding the 13th? Disappointing if we had a shot at Ado. I'd rather have him next season, even if it meant telling Tamba to hold off for a year.
I wouldn’t risk alienating Catholic. That school could be a huge pipeline in the works.

I wouldn’t risk alienating Catholic. That school could be a huge pipeline in the works.
I'm not advocating kicking him to the curb. But surely there is a diplomatic way of persuading him to hang around Catholic for another year, or perhaps coaxing him to a year of prep work at Montverde like Diboundje did.

Name them. That article is old.
Yeah, it's cute how an article from prior to the 2019 tournament constitutes 4 of the last 10 while ignoring that neither of the last two title teams implemented the 1-A-D strategy. So, at best, it's currently 4 of the last 12, and as I said, that timeline is heavily frontloaded.

But hey, he's arguing with 3-year olds...maybe he figured we wouldn't notice. 🥴

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
I'm not advocating kicking him to the curb. But surely there is a diplomatic way of persuading him to hang around Catholic for another year, or perhaps coaxing him to a year of prep work at Montverde like Diboundje did.
Agree, he doesn't have to reclassify and I wish he wouldn't. Needs to dominate Knoxville basketball next year, imo. If he can't do the prep school thing

Reactions: walkenvol
Yeah, it's cute how an article from prior to the 2019 tournament constitutes 4 of the last 10 while ignoring that neither of the last two title teams implemented the 1-A-D strategy. So, at best, it's currently 4 of the last 12, and as I said, that timeline is heavily frontloaded.

But hey, he's arguing with 3-year olds...maybe he figured we wouldn't notice. 🥴
4-12 is still good considering the argument is one and dones don’t win championships lol

4-12 is still good considering the argument is one and dones don’t win championships lol
Again, who is making that argument? Both sides have seemingly conceded that examples of both methods leading to championships exist.

In reality, it is now evolved into more of a discussion around which model is more effective, especially in recent memory. Still, you keep circling back to your above notion that anyone in opposition to your opinion simply believes that one-and-dones don't win championships. No. One. Has. Said. That.

VN Store

Back