Transfer Portal Thread

I think SV is a better ball handler than you all are giving him credit for. There's a big difference in being a good ball handler, and being able to break down a defensive player off the dribble. That has way more to do with body control and athletic quickness than it does ball handling. He lacks more so in the body control/athletic quickness than he does ball handling. Jaden was a better athlete and had the quickness with adequate ball handling, thus he was able to break some players down and get in the paint but I wouldn't say it was a better ball handler specifically than SV.

So I think we're all in agreement with his limitations, just my overly analytic brain won't let the simplified generalization that he lacks ball handling ability sneak by without commenting. (Yes, I'm that guy haha).
SV just doesn't have the speed to advance the ball and gets stoned in the backcourt by his defender. This kills your transition offense. Once set up in the half court his skill set is good at creating and providing offense. He is half of a good point guard so to speak.

SV just doesn't have the speed to advance the ball and gets stoned in the backcourt by his defender. This kills your transition offense. Once set up in the half court his skill set is good at creating and providing offense. He is half of a good point guard so to speak.
He’s good on the break when he makes the early pass. He’s good in half court when he doesn’t turn it over on the dribble, pass to the defense, or leave his feet. In the international game, he has about five more feet of defensive buffer to create. I think he’s going to play some one next year, whether we like it or not. I think he’ll do well at the two, both shooting and driving.

Reactions: cncchris33
So, does anyone have any idea where we're going with our last remaining spots? I keep hoping to hear something. Looking forward to next season and hoping everything gels together. The potential is there.

So, does anyone have any idea where we're going with our last remaining spots? I keep hoping to hear something. Looking forward to next season and hoping everything gels together. The potential is there.
Looking more and more like one spot is for Handje Tamba, who will reclassify from 2022 class to 2021 class. Then that last spot is likely being saved for next year (though I'd like to see it used for this year, but I understand being selective with that last scholarship and not just taking someone to take someone).

Reactions: Vol49er
We had 2 one and dones yet they struggled to score at times and we couldn't get past a hot team in the first round of the tourney
Have you looked at the box score both of the freshman led the team in scoring against Oregon state.. we didn’t lose because of them we wouldn’t be tourney team without them

Reactions: Maxwell865
Tell that to duke, UNC, and Kentucky all have won championships in the past 10 years with one and dones on their roster…

I have done the research. The last champion to have real contributions from one and dones was Duke in 2015. Baylor, Virginia, Villanova, and that UNC team were all multi-year players. The 2017 UNC starters were 3 juniors and 2 seniors. Tony Bradley was a freshman and came off the bench.

Then, in 2013 and 2014, UL and UConn did not have one and done contributors. 2012 UK obviously had significant contribution from one and done players. The 2010 Duke team was all veteran players.

So, there are two seasons out of the last 11/12 that had serious contributions from one and done players, and even those teams had veteran leadership at the guard position.

I have done the research. The last champion to have real contributions from one and dones was Duke in 2015. Baylor, Virginia, Villanova, and that UNC team were all multi-year players. The 2017 UNC starters were 3 juniors and 2 seniors. Tony Bradley was a freshman and came off the bench.

Then, in 2013 and 2014, UL and UConn did not have one and done contributors. 2012 UK obviously had significant contribution from one and done players. The 2010 Duke team was all veteran players.

So, there are two seasons out of the last 11/12 that had serious contributions from one and done players, and even those teams had veteran leadership at the guard position.
It's like it falls on deaf ears each time it's said.

It's like it falls on deaf ears each time it's said.
Lol nobody is arguing that multi year players are not important it’s just the idea that one and done players don’t help out teams win is ridiculous, especially when there are ppl in this thread arguing that our freshman didn’t do well in the tourney when they both literally lead the team in scoring in that game, it was the multi year players that failed to show up…

Reactions: Vol49er
Lol nobody is arguing that multi year players are not important it’s just the idea that one and done players don’t help out teams win is ridiculous, especially when there are ppl in this thread arguing that our freshman didn’t do well in the tourney when they both literally lead the team in scoring in that game, it was the multi year players that failed to show up…
No one is saying that one-and-dones definitively don't win games, either, though. The implication behind your theory, however, is seemingly to pass the idea off as absolute, and the counter-argument is that there is more to it that just having elite freshman talent with zero experience. And it has been proven that over the course of recent history, teams with talent AND experience have won more championships than teams with mercenary rosters of one-and-done freshmen.

Using your 3 examples (Duke, UNC, and Kentucky) as proof hasn't strengthened your argument over recent history, either, as they have a combined two Final 4 appearances across the past five NCAATs, both by UNC in 2016 and 2017, and neither team powered by a single freshman starter.

Last edited:

I guess we should stop recruiting top 50 players and go back and only bring in players ranked over 150. I can’t believe we have people bitching about 5 star players.

I guess we should stop recruiting top 50 players and go back and only bring in players ranked over 150. I can’t believe we have people bitching about 5 star players.

Boy, that’s what you got out of that? I wonder about some of you on here.

Just look at the rosters of the last 5 champions to see that they weren’t led by players ranked outside the top 150.

And...I wasn’t bitching. I was merely responding to a post that said one and done players win games, which is not true. I will gladly take the top 75 player who stays 2+ years. It’s being proven over and over again that you need them.

VN Store

Back