Transfer Portal Rankings

a vol n tears

I know most are tired of hearing about Henry T and probably sick of the stories about Gray. I still don’t have an issue with either leaving (although I thought Gray was a star, not so much for Henry T) but I just saw a ranking for transfer portal guys, and it shows how little I know about talent, or “maybe” writers don’t know anymore than the serious college fans around this country. My case in point.
Henry T was rated the #1 transfer player from the portal. He had a pretty good Freshman year, not overwhelming but good by recent Tenn standards. However last year, from my limited internet dive, he did not make any 1st team SEC honors, I only saw 1 place he made 2nd team honors, and no 3rd team Conference honors. Eric G was rated the 2nd best player in the portal. Searching the internet produced the same results (except not even a 2nd team) for E Gray. I understand the SEC is tuff and gets a lot of talent but the other hundred and so so D1 schools are bound to have some talent leaving. Could them be going to Ala and Ok have anything to do with it?

I know most are tired of hearing about Henry T and probably sick of the stories about Gray. I still don’t have an issue with either leaving (although I thought Gray was a star, not so much for Henry T) but I just saw a ranking for transfer portal guys, and it shows how little I know about talent, or “maybe” writers don’t know anymore than the serious college fans around this country. My case in point.
Henry T was rated the #1 transfer player from the portal. He had a pretty good Freshman year, not overwhelming but good by recent Tenn standards. However last year, from my limited internet dive, he did not make any 1st team SEC honors, I only saw 1 place he made 2nd team honors, and no 3rd team Conference honors. Eric G was rated the 2nd best player in the portal. Searching the internet produced the same results (except not even a 2nd team) for E Gray. I understand the SEC is tuff and gets a lot of talent but the other hundred and so so D1 schools are bound to have some talent leaving. Could them be going to Ala and Ok have anything to do with it?

Henry got zero coaching last year.. I will be surprised if he is not very good this season... he will get the best coaching of his life thus far.

Going to Alabama has everything to do with Henry being the #1 Player in the transfer portal. Don't get me wrong we will miss him on the field. But, I have watched for years when a player is offered by Alabama or they go there.
That player's rating will go up.

First team all SEC players are typically happy where they are at and not in the transfer portal.

Just surprises me that a kid that basically didn’t make any 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team SEC, is now the #1 guy that was in the transfer portal. Possibly he was #1 transfer for Bama but not out of all available. Our D lineman from Kansas may prove more valuable than keeping Henry T. Mitchell may be better in CJH’s defenses than Henry T. I think the fact he signed with Bama is why he was rated #1.

Henry T had horrible coaching last year and no offseason workouts. This year he will have the best of both. I expect him to look like he did as a freshman but better. And having talent around him will make him even better.

HT is a former 5 star and was a 2 yr starter in the SEC, leading us in tackles and TFLs both seasons. There was no one was else in the portal with that sort of production and experience at any position.

Eric Gray seems a good bit overrated, imo. Yes, he's a 1k yard all purpose back from the SEC. But I'm of the camp that thinks RBs generally are easily replaceable, so I don't place much overall value in them. I think Wanya Morris was much better get for OU.

Reactions: Rooster1 and PA Vol
HT is a former 5 star and was a 2 yr starter in the SEC, leading us in tackles and TFLs both seasons. There was no one was else in the portal with that sort of production and experience at any position.

Eric Gray seems a good bit overrated, imo. Yes, he's a 1k yard all purpose back from the SEC. But I'm of the camp that thinks RBs generally are easily replaceable, so I don't place much overall value in them. I think Wanya Morris was much better get for OU.
Yes there was.
He's name is Juwan Mitchell.

And he transferred to Tennessee

Production wise their stats were identical..

Reactions: HalfullVol
Yes there was.
He's name is Juwan Mitchell.

And he transferred to Tennessee

Production wise their stats were identical..

Their stats were not identical. In 2020 their stats were similar, but HT still had more solo tackles, more total tackles, and more TFLs, whilst playing in a better conference. In 2019, it's not even remotely close. HT beats him by a country mile.

I like Mitchell. I think he'll be good for us. But by any measure, HT has better numbers and more experience and did it in the best conference in football.

Been thinking the same but after thinking about it, the entire team was soft last year because of S&C. No technique in the world can overcome being relatively a wuss in football. This includes stamina not just strength. They all most likely will be nad*** next year. Then again, they probably took money and them leaving may be what lightens our punishment... if anything. We gave up talented, trained stars who would have been great underneath this regime. At least in my mind, that’s what has happened. Could be wrong. I am from time to time 😉

Their stats were not identical. In 2020 their stats were similar, but HT still had more solo tackles, more total tackles, and more TFLs, whilst playing in a better conference. In 2019, it's not even remotely close. HT beats him by a country mile.

I like Mitchell. I think he'll be good for us. But by any measure, HT has better numbers and more experience and did it in the best conference in football.
I think he's better.
And I like Henry To'oto'o.

HT got abused last year. Now he will be surrounded by better players than him.

Reactions: savannahfan
If I’m a writer at one of the many recruiting services, it’s a lot easier to trust Nick Saban’s eye for talent than my own.

VN Store

Back