Transfer Portal is a disaster

Coaches hated the forward pass too. The pass was brought in to slow down the number of deaths college football had. Later, because teams like TN and Alabama had so many scholarship players it was decided that there had to be a limit to the number of scholarships a team could give out, etc. Then the pesky overtime and then instant replay. College football has always evolved.

Not really college now though. Us d to be a huge deal for a player to get a scholarship and a 4 year college degree paid for. But now they have to be paid hundreds and thousands to millions.

How long before we start paying high school players?

Not really college now though. Us d to be a huge deal for a player to get a scholarship and a 4 year college degree paid for. But now they have to be paid hundreds and thousands to millions.

How long before we start paying high school players?
NIL is approved by most state athletic associations now. They didn't want to get sued like the NCAA and lose.

Whether you support NIL and the portal, or loathe them, fact is that the game will never be the same.

Gone are the days of watching a player improve over 3 years, and earn the starting spot. Gone are the days of "building" a team with any sort of consistent identity.

Now we enter the Era of flash in the pan teams that spent well.... only to be back at the bottom when the players they paid for enter the portal.

You do realize that football brings in money for other things also. If you consider there are about 100 students a year at a school that participate in football alone the connections the university makes are invaluable for the whole donation department to fund other scholarships, not just athletic. Why do you think ETSU added football back? They saw all the donations for the school drop. Football brings excitement to the school, not just in the athletic department.

True but studies clearly show that around ONLY half of the universities in the top division make money from Football and Basketball. Most do not have "extra" money lying around to pay the football and men's basketball players let alone other athletes. ETSU and other schools like them constantly sign up to play schools like Tennessee, Alabama, Georiga .... for the paycheck. I'm sure that paycheck helps them fund a level of sports programs.

I don't get those of you who think that universities across the board can pay the athletes.

Maybe instead of a scholarship, they give the athletes the equivalent of the dollars that the education, training, exposure costs and then let the athlete "pay their way".

They can then choose to "pay their way" or walk away with no education, no exposure, no nothing.

The media is feeding the greed and the greed will eventually destroy college sports and these institutions will go back to focusing on education.

The answer to this is not "Pay the athletes". If that becomes the answer within a few years, college sports, not just football is a thing of the past.

Reactions: Voltopia
Whether you support NIL and the portal, or loathe them, fact is that the game will never be the same.

Gone are the days of watching a player improve over 3 years, and earn the starting spot. Gone are the days of "building" a team with any sort of consistent identity.

Now we enter the Era of flash in the pan teams that spent well.... only to be back at the bottom when the players they paid for enter the portal.

yes, probably why the retirement of Saban makes sense. Revolving door not just for coaches but players is on the horizon.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol

And at some point, the fans will stop watching like they did in the past as well. Hard to imagine, but I could actually envision talking a few thousand seats out of Neyland.

The NCAA leadership must have thought it was invincible. Now they are essentially nothing more than a party-planning committee, and the major conferences had the foresight to consolidate (well, they also had tv network motivation as well $$$). The conferences will reign supreme and the ncaa will probably dissolve, eventually.
This looks more probable now than it did then, thanks in large part to the leadership of UT, and I applaud it.

Here's as well rounded a discussion as I've seen, in which Condoleezza Rice states that she kept warning the NCAA that they needed to get out front on this and design something fair before the courts ruled and made a mess of it.

Nice to see Condoleezza Rice issuing warnings again, but I wonder why she got ignored? Hmmmm......

But it’s what everyone said we should do - pay the players. And everyone said we should let them transfer whenever they want for any reason they want and not have to sit out. Well, now we have the consequences of the masses getting what they wanted and it’s a giant mess and it’s ruining the sport
What a dumb take. Those two things aren't mutually inclusive, you know that right? Players can still get paid and transfer and it not be a cluster; it happens in professional sports all the time. What does pro sports have that college needs? A governing body. That's it. Stop blaming the players for things

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
But it’s what everyone said we should do - pay the players. And everyone said we should let them transfer whenever they want for any reason they want and not have to sit out. Well, now we have the consequences of the masses getting what they wanted and it’s a giant mess and it’s ruining the sport
I'd rather "ruin" a great sport than prevent people from earning off their NIL. Disgusting selfish behavior to believe otherwise

Transfers shouldn’t be allowed until after your teams season is over imo.
Not so. That ignores the obvious issue with the fall semester being over before bowl games. The transfer can take place as soon as the football players finish that semester.

To do otherwise will completely debunk the NCAA position that "student" comes before "athlete".

And...if it limits NIL, it's illegal.

I support the transfer portal and nil please join the Volunteer Club and Spyre. And let's win a Natty. Time to get onboard

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
Nice to see Condoleezza Rice issuing warnings again, but I wonder why she got ignored? Hmmmm......
Hmm, now, now, Sockey, old bean, you don't happen to have a Muammar Gaddafi type crush on Condie, do ya? ;)
Both she and Luck are right. But for the guy in the NIL thread who doesn't think a woman has any place in recruiting, Condie sure displays acute awareness of what the NIL is doing to recruiting. I wonder if the NO WOMMIN guy would think of Ms. Rice being a recruiting coordinator or whatever? She's more knowledgeable than Andrew, least that's my take. Like I said in my last input of that thread, "Just as all men aren't the same, all women aren't the same."
1706880142336.png

Last edited:
Reactions: BanditVol
It already has
Has it? It seems to me that the same teams with the most talent before are the same teams stockpiling talent in the NIL/transfer era. Sure they lose more players, but the usual suspects still lead in recruiting, total roster talent, and record.

NIL restrictions help relatively poor teams. True above-the-table pay-for-play will mean the rich get richer, like has happened with coaches (for whom there is an unregulated market).

I think you may be right. Ultimately it could lead to more parity and less stockpiling of talent.
The opposite will be the outcome. UT, nor any other SEC school, can compete with the TX, OK and CA super rich donors. OSU spent 13 million on the transfer portal this year and that was before the signed Downs and Sayin, no telling how much it is now. Texas has more millionaire and billionaire donors than half the current SEC schools combined. In 5 years they will be the powerhouse in the SEC.

He went to Harvard it is of no consequence to Ivy League schools except it probably be a net gain for them.
So you are implying that he is serving Harvard first and foremost in his position, instead of doing his job as NCAA administrator?

Has it? It seems to me that the same teams with the most talent before are the same teams stockpiling talent in the NIL/transfer era. Sure they lose more players, but the usual suspects still lead in recruiting, total roster talent, and record.

NIL restrictions help relatively poor teams. True above-the-table pay-for-play will mean the rich get richer, like has happened with coaches (for whom there is an unregulated market).

Look at the recruiting rankings..Bama in particular is much closer to the rest of the SEC, though still at or near the top (currently I think uga has a bit of an advantage over them talent wise).

Whereas in Saban's heyday, you could combine the talent of the no. 2 and 3 SEC teams and not beat bama's recruiting rankings. Now the top 3-4 are pretty close.

Also, I was not implying the field is level for all 131 D1 teams. It most certainly is not. But now, instead of 3-5 teams getting the lion's share of talent, and bama (or more recently uga) being way ahead of even that group, now there are 20-30 schools that are using NIL/portal to greatly improve their talent. Just look at what Ole Miss did this offseason (though I am happy to report that the two Vol transfers didn't stick :p)

And Vols have also benifited greatly. Hooker from the portal, Nico from NIL and plenty of other examples. Of course, it helps to have a coach who knows how to use the talent also. ;)

VN Store

Back