Transfer Portal Hate

My personal feelings on this Transfer Portal is that I hate it. If a kid comes in to a program now and can't break into the starting line-up within the first year or two, or get their feelings hurt, they can just transfer to another school and move on. What happened to commitment and putting in the work to earn a starting job. It really hurts on building quality depth for the most part.
Remember Jeremy Pruitt did it!

Every other student can transfer for any reason. Heck, I did it when I was in school. Not sure why athletes should be any different.

Students who play football can transfer for any reason as well. There's nothing preventing them from doing so. They're just required to sit out a year before competing on their new school's football team. They can even be on scholarship, practice, work out, all that -- I believe.

Reactions: I40flyer
Get back to me when schools start offering 4 year guaranteed scholarships and coaches don't bounce at the first sign of the next big pay raise or hostage the school and players after a good season for an extension.

Until then, I am all for players doing what they want with their limited window to play football.

Lol. Welcome to the new millennia and the product of terrible parenting..in regards to commitment and working hard.

That being said, transfer portal isn't that bad. It does let some people get shots they might not get elsewhere. Take JG for example. HE could (should) transfer to Rutgers and become a star!

Terrible parenting he says.

I say, welcome to the new generation. Where individuals saw their parents give their commitment and entire life to companies who kicked them to the curb at their earliest convenience or when the going got tough. Those same individuals now understand how business works. And folks, college sports is nothing more than a business.

I say, give your all for your team and teammates. If there comes a time that it makes sense for you to seek "employment" elsewhere, understand it is part of the business. Finish the season, as you should. Then do what you must.

My personal feelings on this Transfer Portal is that I hate it. If a kid comes in to a program now and can't break into the starting line-up within the first year or two, or get their feelings hurt, they can just transfer to another school and move on. What happened to commitment and putting in the work to earn a starting job. It really hurts on building quality depth for the most part.
3 of the 4 playoff QB’s will be transfers!
So I guess putting in the work and not getting to play sucks too

Most know they can’t compete or don’t like the coach. They give up and leave. That’s the perception.

My biggest problem is this. It allows the rich to get richer. Players can flock to a team knowing that they can transfer if things don’t work out without repercussions. I personally feel something isn’t right when 3 of the 4 quarterbacks are transfers from other schools either in or close to being in the playoffs.

Well players have been transferring forever not just because there is now a portal, as far as transferring goes I hate it. I feel once you commit to a program you should do just that commit. Now there are exceptions if the coach you committed to takes another job I can understand transferring out, alot of guys commit to coaches not the school, also transferring into a P5 program after being at a small school I can understand having that dream. As far as transferring because you've been beaten out at a position or if the coach hurt your feelings is bull.

I actually like the portal.....sort of. When you look at it from the side of the recruit/player you only get one chance at the college level to prove yourself to live your dream that you’ve set for yourself 10+ years ago. You’ve taken a beating getting to this point and the next 4 years decides it. What I don’t like is the 1 year sit out rule for everyone. Qb is the only position I disagree with. It’s the only position that only has 1 that plays, every week, every play. So providing depth may cost him everything as a opposed to any other position that has multiple players in a rotation. Looking at it from a teams prospective it’s nice knowing you have little if any drop off in talent sitting on the bench.

Lol. Welcome to the new millennia and the product of terrible parenting..in regards to commitment and working hard.

That being said, transfer portal isn't that bad. It does let some people get shots they might not get elsewhere. Take JG for example. HE could (should) transfer to Rutgers and become a star!
I like to call it pussification

Reactions: FLVOL_79
These kids have 4-5 years to play college ball. They can’t afford to sit around and wait. Most probably won’t play after school. Some just want to get on the field as soon as possible. Why sit on the bench when they could transfer and actually get snaps?

From experience, you only get to do college athletics once. You owe it to yourself, and are not and should not be beholden to a school, to do the things that maximize that athletic experience.
That’s fine, they should just have to sit out the year like others. They made their choice and all choices in life have consequence, thats how we learn.

Not for "efforts to build or maintain team depth and stability". I think we will see in the next few seasons many/most teams start to suffer from the ability to just "go".
If most teams start to suffer from the ability to just go, then most teams will be happy to pick-up some one who went...they had to go somewhere.

Last edited:
Yeah, those boomers did a sh** job of raising the Gen Xers who think money gives them the right to break a written contract and their word.
Not just the GenXers, hell, Universities do it all the time, they give a Coach a contract for X amount of years, then they do a "Buy out"-bye, bye.

They made reference in the 2nd half of the LSU/GA game that 3 of the starting QBs on some of the best teams in the nation all had used the portal to be where they are. Burrow, Fields, and Hurts, all were portal users. It demonstrates the portal does work to keep kids from being stockpiled or warehoused unfairly based on their talent. It also shows the portal system does work.

Just wait until money gets involved, then even starters will start transferring to the highest bidder. We are about to enter a whole new world I believe...
You sir have hit the nail on the head!! Big, outside money is about to change NCAA Football into something we've never seen before. Players getting unlimited money for their likeness will warp the entire system. The California schools-with silicon valley money for example, may be willing to pay a certain player xxxxxxxx amount for his likeness, as long as he is wearing an USC jersey, etc. (I'm not picking on USC, they've sent over a hundred more players to the NFL than we have-it's just an example).

It is easy to make generalizations regarding why most enter the portal, but very, very few of us know what the recruiter(s)/coach told the HS player in order to get him to the program. I'm sure as time goes on we'll see a stat on the number of players that enter the portal that were recruited by a given coach, that may tell us something.

Most know they can’t compete or don’t like the coach. They give up and leave. That’s the perception.
Or, they know they Can Compete and are not being given a chance (Joe Burrow comes to mind), or the coach they agreed to play for, moves on to another school with more money, and now they are stuck playing for a crap coach (boy butch comes to mind) one they never would have committed to. If coaches were required to sit out a full year (without pay) in order to break their contracts-things would be more fair.

Reactions: TJVol95
Or, they know they Can Compete and are not being given a chance (Joe Burrow comes to mind), or the coach they agreed to play for, moves on to another school with more money, and now they are stuck playing for a crap coach (boy butch comes to mind) one they never would have committed to. If coaches were required to sit out a full year (without pay) in order to break their contracts-things would be more fair.
In the case of Ty Chandler. Do you think he’s been beaten out?

My belief is that Ty Chandler has been "Under-used", his number should have been called a lot more than it was. A team should have several great RBs, it makes a defense play both tight. But that's another discussion.

Many people believe that Saban will pick up 2-3 recruits per year for the sole reason of keeping them off of opposing teams rosters, not really planning to start them. I do not know if that is true or not. Even if it is not true, coaches make a lot of promises during recruiting and the player should be able to leave if he/she feels they are getting a raw deal.

Student athletes being able to transfer ALSO mitigates the kid being on the receiving end of NCAA sanctions against programs that have cheated. It’s never been fair for the majority of the student athletes to bear the consequences of the offending coach when he hits the door with a few million bucks and the kids are stuck in a bad situation that’s no fault of their own.

It’s the same for every team so it will even out. Freedom is a good thing.
Don't deny that, but one should not complain about the results of those Freedoms. When Freedoms are abused or invade the rights of others, the results at laws/rules. Those rules/laws are enacted to protect Society when individuals' actions threaten the Freedoms of others. They are not made to make everyone even, but to protect all members from those who abuse the Freedoms and well-being of others.

VN Store

Back