Transfer Portal Hate

Fatman Photos

My personal feelings on this Transfer Portal is that I hate it. If a kid comes in to a program now and can't break into the starting line-up within the first year or two, or get their feelings hurt, they can just transfer to another school and move on. What happened to commitment and putting in the work to earn a starting job. It really hurts on building quality depth for the most part.

Frankly I like it as it requires the coaching staffs to be honest in dealing with kids during recruitment. It returns some of the power back to players who can walk away. For instance you may be sold a bill of goods when signing with Super Power State U. The school has a history of stock piling players with limited playing time until their junior or senior years when they finally get considered for playing time even though they may be better than the upper classmen playing in front of them. Some schools recruit just to keep a player off the field opposite them from time to time. Now youngsters in this sort of situation can take a hike, play elsewhere and rightfully so. You've seen it with your own eyes play out at Bama between Hurts and Tua. Tua was sitting yet a better QB the whole time behind Hurts. He was stockpiled. Saban was just lucky as a last resort Tua came off the bench when given a chance and won a national title for him while Hurts floundered. Tua was gone until the last resort was he played in the NC game and saved Bama, but had he not played, he'd have started the following season elsewhere and he said as much to the media. It was Hurts who had to move if he wanted to play and he did. NOBODY IMPROVES OR BECOMES A BETTER PLAYER WATCHING EVERYBODY PLAY THE GAME, NOBODY.

My personal feelings on this Transfer Portal is that I hate it. If a kid comes in to a program now and can't break into the starting line-up within the first year or two, or get their feelings hurt, they can just transfer to another school and move on. What happened to commitment and putting in the work to earn a starting job. It really hurts on building quality depth for the most part.
The biggest problem I see with it, is one can not build decent depth or reach the 85 limit if 4 - 5 five players decide to transfer each year because they do not start. These numbers are in addition to the normal attritation of 4-5 players who don't make the grades, are injured, are kicked out for other reasons.

The biggest problem I see with it, is one can not build decent depth or reach the 85 limit if 4 - 5 five players decide to transfer each year because they do not start. These numbers are in addition to the normal attritation of 4-5 players who don't make the grades, are injured, are kicked out for other reasons.
It’s the same for every team so it will even out. Freedom is a good thing.

It’s the same for every team so it will even out. Freedom is a good thing.
Not for "efforts to build or maintain team depth and stability". I think we will see in the next few seasons many/most teams start to suffer from the ability to just "go".

Frankly I like it as it requires the coaching staffs to be honest in dealing with kids during recruitment. It returns some of the power back to players who can walk away. For instance you may be sold a bill of goods when signing with Super Power State U. The school has a history of stock piling players with limited playing time until their junior or senior years when they finally get considered for playing time even though they may be better than the upper classmen playing in front of them. Some schools recruit just to keep a player off the field opposite them from time to time. Now youngsters in this sort of situation can take a hike, play elsewhere and rightfully so. You've seen it with your own eyes play out at Bama between Hurts and Tua. Tua was sitting yet a better QB the whole time behind Hurts. He was stockpiled. Saban was just lucky as a last resort Tua came off the bench when given a chance and won a national title for him while Hurts floundered. Tua was gone until the last resort was he played in the NC game and saved Bama, but had he not played, he'd have started the following season elsewhere and he said as much to the media. It was Hurts who had to move if he wanted to play and he did. NOBODY IMPROVES OR BECOMES A BETTER PLAYER WATCHING EVERYBODY PLAY THE GAME, NOBODY.

Exactly how I feel. It takes away a little control from the coaches and requires them to be more honest with the kids. Plus a team like us with a less than fill roster could really benefit from kids at other schools getting in that thing. I’m sure Pruitt and co keep very close tabs on who’s putting their names out there

Lol. Welcome to the new millennia and the product of terrible parenting..in regards to commitment and working hard.

That being said, transfer portal isn't that bad. It does let some people get shots they might not get elsewhere. Take JG for example. HE could (should) transfer to Rutgers and become a star!

Actually I think you’ll see programs using this to help clean up rosters too. So it may help kids leave programs but it’ll help coaches “help” kids leave programs. Trust me, that door will swing both ways.

Do you still have the same job as your first job?? Just wondering.....

Reactions: MSCE09
It gives kids that are good players that are sitting on the bench a good option to be a starter somewhere else just like Hurts. It also creates a little more parity between schools, I think. Coaches will be very selective though in which kids they bring in through the transfer portal since it will count against their 25 scholarship limit. Also, coaches do not want to end up with more than 25 seniors, or others that leave the team in the same year, since they can only sign 25 the following year.
Yes, this forces coaches to be more upfront with recruits. I do feel that schools in some ways get a raw deal since they spend time and money in scholarship cost and coaching/conditioning the player and then having them leave but over all, it is good for the player and forces the school to be more honest.

It needs to be tweaked some at the power5 level for sure but it's been a great thing for student athletes in other sports and at other levels. Folks seem to forget about the hundreds of thousands student athletes across the country not playing football.

Reactions: Vol737
Every other student can transfer for any reason. Heck, I did it when I was in school. Not sure why athletes should be any different.
Perhaps because the school has invested time, effort, other resources into that student-athlete, as part of building a team, something bigger than just that individual, with the understanding that there would be some reciprocity, returns on the investments in the later years of the kid's eligibility.

Reactions: tennrich1 and AM64
While in tend to agree the result will be chaos and a serious advantage to top teams, I think because coaches leave at the drop of hat due to another opportunity or being fired, it seems like the athletes should also have an opportunity.

I think where all this is heading is one, unconditional transfer per player.

Reactions: Remy
Perhaps because the school has invested time, effort, other resources into that student-athlete, as part of building a team, something bigger than just that individual, with the understanding that there would be some reciprocity, returns on the investments in the later years of the kid's eligibility.

These kids have 4-5 years to play college ball. They can’t afford to sit around and wait. Most probably won’t play after school. Some just want to get on the field as soon as possible. Why sit on the bench when they could transfer and actually get snaps?

From experience, you only get to do college athletics once. You owe it to yourself, and are not and should not be beholden to a school, to do the things that maximize that athletic experience.

If a kid ain't getting playing time and is mad at the coaches why would you want to keep him? That's a wasted roster spot. The transfer portal is awesome. It gets rid of guys who arent living up to their billing.

Reactions: Sarms58
It’s all good. Oklahoma, Ohio State and LSU all have starting QBs who were backups but wanted to start...players want to play - not be backups

Reactions: MarcoVol
I mean all of these kids don't run to the Transfer Portal. Some of them are led there and pushed. There are marriages that don't last 4 years. Let the kids play where they want to. We'll benefit as many times as not. With a hard 25/85, it's a good tool.

Just wait until money gets involved, then even starters will start transferring to the highest bidder. We are about to enter a whole new world I believe...

Reactions: thehill98
The kids have to win their scholarship every year. It is not a 4 year guarantee. The portal is a good thing for the kids, bad for fans.
It also helps stop the Sabans of the world from recruiting good players just to keep them away from other schools with no intention of really playing. (Alvin Kamara)

Lol. Welcome to the new millennia and the product of terrible parenting..in regards to commitment and working hard.

That being said, transfer portal isn't that bad. It does let some people get shots they might not get elsewhere. Take JG for example. HE could (should) transfer to Rutgers and become a star!

Yeah, those boomers did a sh** job of raising the Gen Xers who think money gives them the right to break a written contract and their word.

VN Store

Back