Transfer Portal DB's....

That has nothing to do with him playing here.
Why? Because you say so? I've always liked you as a poster and I agree with you alot but you make some emphatic statements. I watched nearly every GT game last year and no one on their defense impressed me much. Gibbs, their RB is about the only player they had I'd even want. Hopefully Walker surprises me.

Why? Because you say so? I've always liked you as a poster and I agree with you alot but you make some emphatic statements. I watched nearly every GT game last year and no one on their defense impressed me much. Gibbs, their RB is about the only player they had I'd even want. Hopefully Walker surprises me.

You don’t like Walker and think he probably won’t be any good because of what he did at GT. Got it.

You don’t like Walker and think he probably won’t be any good because of what he did at GT. Got it.
I don't dislike him, I'm just not real optimistic about someone who didn't stand out much against ACC competition doing better in the SEC. Maybe he surprises though, it could happen.

We could use one or two more transfers, but it is odd to me how people act like none of our guys will get better.

Everyone but Alontae is back. Add Wesley Walker and Desmond Williams.
Second year in a system...it's almost a certainty that guys will improve.

What will help them most is a consistent pass rush. That's almost the most important thing.

Byron Young, Tyler Baron, Roman Harrison etc. Need to step up. You cannot defend the pass at this level and above if you can't rush the passer. Period.

The Titans for example. In 2020 they had only 19 sacks all year. A record low for a playoff team since the merger. Their defense was ranked 29th in the NFL.

This season they had over 40 sacks

Top five defense!

Pressure on the QB is absolutely everything

9 of those sacks came against the Bengals, and they still lost.

Back in the day GT was a huge rival for Tennessee… many great games played.
Yeah, that was a little before my time. I've lived in Georgia most of my life and they hate the crowd in Athens so it's one of those enemy of my enemy is my friend things I guess. I also loved watching Joe Hamilton play back in the day.

The portal is not the end all cure for our DB woes. That's going to come with kids sticking around for 3+ years and playing in the current system.

You might be a little in the past friend. It can be fixed by players learning the system over time. The portal allows you plug holes with talent right then and there. Kids will stick around for 3-years, but not like in the past.

You might be a little in the past friend. It can be fixed by players learning the system over time. The portal allows you plug holes with talent right then and there. Kids will stick around for 3-years, but not like in the past.

Read the next sentence you left off when quoting my post. Should clarify my stance further.

Read the next sentence you left off when quoting my post. Should clarify my stance further.
You think I didn't read it because I quoted a primary point? Get real dude. It's not deception or anything. People can read your full and outdated statement right now. My point stands. The portal is more of a fix than you admit. It can flip a program in one year if leveraged correctly.

You think I didn't read it because I quoted a primary point? Get real dude. It's not deception or anything. People can read your full and outdated statement right now. My point stands. The portal is more of a fix than you admit. It can flip a program in one year if leveraged correctly.

The transfer portal is not a fix, its a Band-Aid, and sometimes its a questionable Band-Aid. The transfer portal is a lot like JUCO, only a few great players come out of it and most never really pan out due to lack of eligibility and development. There is a reason most of them are in the transfer portal, and relying on kids who had no loyalty to the program they once served and trying to integrate them into your culture is not an easy thing when they have already started to be molded in someone else's image.

Most kids in the transfer portal are kids who aren't getting a ton of playing time where they were and are looking to play immediately. That's why most of them move down, and its good for teams in the G5 or FCS to get those kids and let them try and play. The rest of the transfer portal kids never sign, and that's around 70%.

That's why you can't rely on it and that's why building your team through the standard recruiting method is the best avenue to flip a roster. Sure you might get a piece or two in the portal, but its always going to be more famine than feast in there due to a host of different reasons.

Reactions: GoodlettsvilleVol
The transfer portal is not a fix, its a Band-Aid, and sometimes its a questionable Band-Aid. The transfer portal is a lot like JUCO, only a few great players come out of it and most never really pan out due to lack of eligibility and development. There is a reason most of them are in the transfer portal, and relying on kids who had no loyalty to the program they once served and trying to integrate them into your culture is not an easy thing when they have already started to be molded in someone else's image.

Most kids in the transfer portal are kids who aren't getting a ton of playing time where they were and are looking to play immediately. That's why most of them move down, and its good for teams in the G5 or FCS to get those kids and let them try and play. The rest of the transfer portal kids never sign, and that's around 70%.

That's why you can't rely on it and that's why building your team through the standard recruiting method is the best avenue to flip a roster. Sure you might get a piece or two in the portal, but its always going to be more famine than feast in there due to a host of different reasons.

Bandaids exist for a reason. They serve a functional purpose.

Our secondary needs multiple bandaids so our defense doesn’t bleed out

A solution to our dilemma has been found. It's being hush-hushed at this time to prevent our opponents from duplicating our actions. In conjunction with Josh Heupel, UT boosters, and Danny White, the University of Tennessee has employed the services of Brigitte Boisselier the founder and CEO of Cloneaid. The plan is to use the accelerating process to quick clone a minimum of four Eric Berrys to fill immediate needs in the Vols defensive backfield. You will be seeing the results three weeks hence. Do not discuss this with anyone on or off this forum. It's a national and Vols security matter. WoodsmanVol, wanders the outer fringes of reality and sanity, forever lost.

Man Eric berry is still my favorite vol defender !!
I almost named my son after him .
First name. Eric Berry
Middle name. Eric Berry
Last name. Eric Berry
Thankfully his momma didn’t let that happen..

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
Doesn't it seem like we need to grab a couple of decent DB athletes in the portal during the next wave of transfers?
Do we have the space?
Or do we think all the currently injured guys will be back and productive? If we had to line up today, we'd get crushed by everyone.

YES. I am surprised Huepel is not tossing big money at some of these guys. With some immediate good help back there, we can field a potentially elite team this year. Throw the kitchen sink at them ffs.

Two of our best players were from the portal last year.... Hooker and Velos Jones. Heupel is smart enough to get the good ones. Without those two players, we are a bad team last year.

Two of our best players were from the portal last year.... Hooker and Velos Jones. Heupel is smart enough to get the good ones. Without those two players, we are a bad team last year.
And yet Heupel recruited neither of them, just was smart enough to utilize them correctly.

And yet Heupel recruited neither of them, just was smart enough to utilize them correctly.

Yes, good point. I want to see Huepel grab more portal studs immediately. His 2023 class is looking great so far, but we need to take max advantage of the portal as well.... especially this year.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

Offensive players are easier to plug and play to make a difference due to the lack of "reaction" it takes to play on that side of the ball. You pretty much know where everyone is going to be at most plays, so its not as easy to get lost on a play. As a DB is much easier to get lost due to not understanding your assignment or positioning on the field and can result in more disasterous plays. That's why you see the players who understand the defense the most out there playing, and sometimes that doesn't include your most talented players, which is why is harder plug and play a transfer the first year.

Reactions: memtownvol
Offensive players are easier to plug and play to make a difference due to the lack of "reaction" it takes to play on that side of the ball. You pretty much know where everyone is going to be at most plays, so its not as easy to get lost on a play. As a DB is much easier to get lost due to not understanding your assignment or positioning on the field and can result in more disasterous plays. That's why you see the players who understand the defense the most out there playing, and sometimes that doesn't include your most talented players, which is why is harder plug and play a transfer the first year.

DB is a tough position mentally as is middle linebacker. But a talent like Taylor, Cam Sutton or Eric Berry can most definitely come in and play immediately.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
DB is a tough position mentally as is middle linebacker. But a talent like Taylor, Cam Sutton or Eric Berry can most definitely come in and play immediately.

I mentioned in my original post that unless they are starting material at any SEC school. bringing in a body just to have depth doesn't really help us.

Also, no one has shown me where the difference maker at DB is for us in the portal that will miraculously add a win to our record this year. I haven't seen one.

VN Store

Back