Transfer Portal DB's....

Volunteer16

Doesn't it seem like we need to grab a couple of decent DB athletes in the portal during the next wave of transfers?
Do we have the space?
Or do we think all the currently injured guys will be back and productive? If we had to line up today, we'd get crushed by everyone.

Doesn't it seem like we need to grab a couple of decent DB athletes in the portal during the next wave of transfers? Do we have the space?
Or do we think all the currently injured guys will be back and productive? If we had to line up today, we'd get crushed by everyone.

A solution to our dilemma has been found. It's being hush-hushed at this time to prevent our opponents from duplicating our actions. In conjunction with Josh Heupel, UT boosters, and Danny White, the University of Tennessee has employed the services of Brigitte Boisselier the founder and CEO of Cloneaid. The plan is to use the accelerating process to quick clone a minimum of four Eric Berrys to fill immediate needs in the Vols defensive backfield. You will be seeing the results three weeks hence. Do not discuss this with anyone on or off this forum. It's a national and Vols security matter. WoodsmanVol, wanders the outer fringes of reality and sanity, forever lost.

Last edited:
The portal is not the end all cure for our DB woes. That's going to come with kids sticking around for 3+ years and playing in the current system. Just bringing in one or two guys to provide depth doesn't really help, unless they starting material at pretty much any SEC school. Our recruiting is about to take off and I would say DB would be a position that will be intriguing for the higher rated guys due to the depth itself.

to answer one of your questions OP, I think that the DB's that are hurt (and expected back) will be what we count on for this year. Several of them have a lot of experience (not saying they are good, just experienced). We will probably only pick up one more DB in the portal because we are limited on scholly's. If we can get a better pass rush this year that will help alleviate some of the issues we will/can see from lack of playmakers at the DB position.

I think we will be fine at Corner with Brandon Turnage, Burell, Hadden, Williams etc. I am more concerned about speed at safety. Tre and Jaylen are at best average SEC safeties.

I do think we could use perhaps three more portal / JUCO DB's in our mix.

1. One that plays like Roland James to handle the outside speed guys.
2. Maybe a free safety like Deon Grant to prevent anything from getting over the top.
3. A strong safety like Eric Berry who is good at run support.

Another thing that might help the secondary is if we could find two guys like Reggie White and Derek Barnett to move around on the front to create some pressure for the QB.

That is all.

I do think we could use perhaps three more portal / JUCO DB's in our mix.

1. One that plays like Roland James to handle the outside speed guys.
2. Maybe a free safety like Deon Grant to prevent anything from getting over the top.
3. A strong safety like Eric Berry who is good at run support.

Another thing that might help the secondary is if we could find two guys like Reggie White and Derek Barnett to move around on the front to create some pressure for the QB. That is all.

I will notify Ms. Boisselier of your recommendations when I meet her in Paris tonight.

Last edited:
As I understand it we are full up on scholarship players this spring semester which is why we have not hit the transfer portal harder than we have. There should be several spots that open up at the end of the semester as players graduate and move on. I have the expectation that the staff will look to get several players from the portal this summer, I am actually looking forward to finding out who we have coming in this summer. I hope to get a few SEC quality DB's and LB's. Landing an elite pass rusher is unrealistic, but I am holding out hope.

Doesn't it seem like we need to grab a couple of decent DB athletes in the portal during the next wave of transfers?
Do we have the space?

Nah!!!! Heuple and staff are ignoring our needs. Even though us arm chair QBs see the need, the staff is clueless!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Volunteer16
Between Wesley Walker from GT, Dee Williams (JUCO), Christian Charles (converted safety that's done well), plus Turnage, Hadden, Rucker, Burrell, and Slaughter, there has to be at least 3 capable players in that group, right? Granted, only two of those players are actually practicing right now.

There's plenty of game experience in that group, now it is time to see some results.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Between Wesley Walker from GT, Dee Williams (JUCO), Christian Charles (converted safety that's done well), plus Turnage, Hadden, Rucker, Burrell, and Slaughter, there has to be at least 3 capable players in that group, right? Granted, only two of those players are actually practicing right now.

There's plenty of game experience in that group, now it is time to see some results.
We could use one or two more transfers, but it is odd to me how people act like none of our guys will get better.

Everyone but Alontae is back. Add Wesley Walker and Desmond Williams.
Second year in a system...it's almost a certainty that guys will improve.

What will help them most is a consistent pass rush. That's almost the most important thing.

Byron Young, Tyler Baron, Roman Harrison etc. Need to step up. You cannot defend the pass at this level and above if you can't rush the passer. Period.

The Titans for example. In 2020 they had only 19 sacks all year. A record low for a playoff team since the merger. Their defense was ranked 29th in the NFL.

This season they had over 40 sacks

Top five defense!

Pressure on the QB is absolutely everything

We could use one or two more transfers, but it is odd to me how people act like none of our guys will get better.

Everyone but Alontae is back. Add Wesley Walker and Desmond Williams.
Second year in a system...it's almost a certainty that guys will improve.

What will help them most is a consistent pass rush. That's almost the most important thing.

Byron Young, Tyler Baron, Roman Harrison etc. Need to step up. You cannot defend the pass at this level and above if you can't rush the passer. Period.

The Titans for example. In 2020 they had only 19 sacks all year. A record low for a playoff team since the merger. Their defense was ranked 29th in the NFL.

This season they had over 40 sacks

Top five defense!

Between the 3 you mentioned plus guys like James Pearce and Joshua Josephs coming in, I think we should be able to generate some pass rush.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
We have two edge guys on scholly that both graduate this year I believe. I am kind of worried about that position in the near future.

My take on the bolded part is that I never have expectations that what I will see from a player in the coming season will be measurably better than past seasons. I love it when I see it but I do not build it into my expectations for any given player.

I think we will be fine at Corner with Brandon Turnage, Burell, Hadden, Williams etc. I am more concerned about speed at safety. Tre and Jaylen are at best average SEC safeties.

Horrific at man coverage! Sheesh! Move him to star so he can have some help overtop

VN Store

Back