Transfer Portal 22-23

She shot the three fairly well but overall her total percentage was 36 percent. Her three point total was 36 percent. I look at the game she played against the top competition and she got shutdown by UConn 4 points and 21 percent from the field. If they take her it will be on her potential to develop and that she has three year eligibility to play. She might very well be the choice as I'm not sure Donarski will leave the midwest as I expect Iowa, Indiana, and almost everyone in the Big Ten and Big 12 will be after her. If she is willing to come to Tennessee Donarski is the choice by a mile. Only Jefferson is a player I would want more at the guard spot right now.

She is following several of the Indiana players now, suspect that is where she ends up.

Not looking good for us now, maybe we can get Jefferson but she might go to Maryland.

I’m not too concerned. Portal is just getting started likely. Jefferson and Donarski are the best players available right now.

More to come though. Already really pleased with the addition of Wells. Her offense and ball handling gives us some different looks right away that we just didn’t have this season

I do think we need to be somewhat careful recruiting over players. One of Kellie’s biggest accomplishments has been her player retention and culture improvement.

Yes, we want the best players we can get, but there is something to be said for consistency and commitment from the players we already have.

As we saw this season with several teams, transfers can be huge, but it can also take time to work them in and work out the kinks.

Us and Louisville in particular struggled to find that balance to start.

LSU and Maryland were basically starting from scratch and only had 6-7 players that could really go anyhow so it was easier for them to get in a groove.

Kellie jacked with our lineup way too much and injuries and the Jackson benching hurt us.

For that reason I do not wish to see as tough a schedule for us next season. I like seeing us challenged, but if Harper is going to mess with the lineups that much we have to have 4-5 guaranteed wins to start the season where we can do that. It was too debilitating losing to all those top 15 teams to start the year. Our confidence didn’t pick up until February.

She shot the three fairly well but overall her total percentage was 36 percent. Her three point total was 36 percent. I look at the game she played against the top competition and she got shutdown by UConn 4 points and 21 percent from the field. If they take her it will be on her potential to develop and that she has three year eligibility to play. She might very well be the choice as I'm not sure Donarski will leave the midwest as I expect Iowa, Indiana, and almost everyone in the Big Ten and Big 12 will be after her. If she is willing to come to Tennessee Donarski is the choice by a mile. Only Jefferson is a player I would want more at the guard spot right now.
If we can get Donarski and or Jefferson we need to wait until some better players get in the portal, we need big time players and not just anyone.

Kennedy Fauntleroy - Women's Basketball - Georgetown University Athletics

Here is Faunteleroy stats for her freshman season not bad. I noticed she played really well against UConn at home after playing really badly on the road. I would hope we would be looking for a taller more efficient two guard as I think we have enough point guards unless were moving Wells to the two.

Really trailed off toward the end of the season. Makes you wonder what happened. Her last 5 games or so weren’t good.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Really trailed off toward the end of the season. Makes you wonder what happened. Her last 5 games or so weren’t good.
The Big East was a fairly decent conference this season but still trails the SEC in what you have to bring every night. A lot of guards better than her in the portal right now. She has a lot of eligibility ,but so do Wynn and Miles so not really in to another player in their category.

The Big East was a fairly decent conference this season but still trails the SEC in what you have to bring every night. A lot of guards better than her in the portal right now. She has a lot of eligibility ,but so do Wynn and Miles so not really in to another player in their category.
Who are some shooting guards right below Donarski and Jefferson we might look at?

Who are some shooting guards right below Donarski and Jefferson we might look at?
Kayla Padilla, Matilda Ekh 39 percent 3 point shooter just a sophomore out of Michigan State, Taina Mair, Maddie Nolan out of Michigan, and Jada Walker. Mair is just a freshman this year 11 points and 7 assists she is a 5"9" tall another point guard and to me a better option than most other young point guards.

Kayla Padilla Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

Matilda Ekh Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

Taina Mair Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

Maddie Nolan Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

Jada Walker Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

Last edited:
Kayla Padilla, Matilda Ekh 39 percent 3 point shooter just a sophomore out of Michigan State, Taina Mair, Maddie Nolan out of Michigan, and Jada Walker. Mair is just a freshman this year 11 points and 7 assists she is a 5"9" tall another point guard and to me a better option than most other young point guards.

Kayla Padilla Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

Matilda Ekh Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

Taina Mair Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

Maddie Nolan Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

Jada Walker Stats, News, Bio | ESPN
I think if we can get atleast 2 of Donarski, Jefferson and Padilla, that would be a good team to go into the season with. I would feel very confident in our chances to reach a final four.

Reactions: Volfan2012
I’m not too concerned. Portal is just getting started likely. Jefferson and Donarski are the best players available right now.

More to come though. Already really pleased with the addition of Wells. Her offense and ball handling gives us some different looks right away that we just didn’t have this season

I do think we need to be somewhat careful recruiting over players. One of Kellie’s biggest accomplishments has been her player retention and culture improvement.

Yes, we want the best players we can get, but there is something to be said for consistency and commitment from the players we already have.

As we saw this season with several teams, transfers can be huge, but it can also take time to work them in and work out the kinks.

LSU and Maryland were basically starting from scratch and only had 6-7 players that could really go anyhow so it was easier for them to get in a groove.

Kellie jacked with our lineup way too much and injuries and the Jackson benching hurt us.

For that reason I do not wish to see as tough a schedule for us next season. I like seeing us challenged, but if Harper is going to mess with the lineups that much we have to have 4-5 guaranteed wins to start the season where we can do that. It was too debilitating losing to all those top 15 teams to start the year. Our confidence didn’t pick up until February.

I hope some other elite players become available and we have a chance to get them, because that’s what we need.

The culture I’m looking for is winning culture, because right now we are mediocre.

The schedule is not that big of a deal if u have a stacked team and we haven’t had that in years. So the schedule should reflect the talent we have.

Players like a challenge so if u bring in more talent the other players have to work, it’s not about keeping everyone happy, if a player doesn’t want their spot taken, then get i. The gym and work.

Reactions: Texas

I too like the line-up the Lady Vols now have. I think they could use another "big" to back-up Tamari. I would rather see Hollingshead and Striplin play at the 4 and Jackson move into the "Horston" slot. PG I think will be fine between Wells and Powell. Then Tess and Justine will fill the remaining slot.

Puckett is a player who can slot into multiple positions of the bench.

Reactions: VolBall09
I too like the line-up the Lady Vols now have. I think they could use another "big" to back-up Tamari. I would rather see Hollingshead and Striplin play at the 4 and Jackson move into the "Horston" slot. PG I think will be fine between Wells and Powell. Then Tess and Justine will fill the remaining slot.

Puckett is a player who can slot into multiple positions of the bench.

I’m not trying to be negative again but we all know guard play is what carries u to a final four, do u think Wells and Powell are that good to lead us to a final four?

Reactions: Ratvol
I’m not trying to be negative again but we all know guard play is what carries u to a final four, do u think Wells and Powell are that good to lead us to a final four?
I think it would be Powell/Wells splitting time at PG and Tess starting at SG again if we don't make another portal pickup.

I really hope we do pick up a really good shooting guard and see if Tess can improve enough to keep her job. If not she'll be a very good backup, spot up shooter. That position needs an upgrade over this year, even though Tess improved alot.

Justine can be in the shooting guard mix, but also back up Rickea. Watch and learn young lady.

Most likely Powell is starter early and in name only while Wells gets acclimmated. Powell moves more toward back up as the season progresses.

I think that is the likely outcome. However, Powell finished the season pretty strong and I expect her improvement curve to continue. I think Wells is going to be an upgrade over Walker and Powell will be an upgrade over this season's version.

Most likely Powell is starter early and in name only while Wells gets acclimmated. Powell moves more toward back up as the season progresses.

I have no doubt Wells will be the starting point guard, I just don't understand this notion some fans have that Powell will start alongside her.

Wells was a great start, but if the other starting guard is on the roster now then the team will once again fail to make a deep March run...

I hope some other elite players become available and we have a chance to get them, because that’s what we need.

The culture I’m looking for is winning culture, because right now we are mediocre.

The schedule is not that big of a deal if u have a stacked team and we haven’t had that in years. So the schedule should reflect the talent we have.

Players like a challenge so if u bring in more talent the other players have to work, it’s not about keeping everyone happy, if a player doesn’t want their spot taken, then get i. The gym and work.
About 110 D1teams would like to be “mediocre” like us. You make some good and interesting points but not every post has to run our players or coaches or program down.

I have no doubt Wells will be the starting point guard, I just don't understand this notion some fans have that Powell will start alongside her.

Wells was a great start, but if the other starting guard is on the roster now then the team will once again fail to make a deep March run...

At this point Powell should start ahead of Tess as off guard if not at point. Her 3 point percentage in the playoffs was comparable to Tess, and given Tess’ tendency to disappear in big games, maybe even better @ 3 point shooting when it really matters. Plus, she can do everything else better than Tess: drive, dribble, rebound, assist, defend, run, cut, move, create, pull up. Tess needs to diversify, or she will handcuff this team.

Reactions: Real Info

VN Store

Back