Transfer Portal 21-22

I agree with your post On Key, more time in the weight room and working on improving her explosiveness and verticality would make a huge difference. She will never be a jump out of the gym player but an inch or two more on her jump and getting up quicker would make a huge difference.

I think she has been coached pretty well on the fundamentals. She has had games where she looked solid in the post and finished with a good %. But when she gets tired or is not mentally locked in, her bad habits sneak back in. Sometimes when I watch her play, I feel that it actually take more effort for her to do many of the right things because, they have not become habituated. But, she is much improved from last season and if she can make one more leap this off season, she could be a force.

My take on Key's weaknesses: She needs more strength and better conditioning overall. She isn't a fast runner and becomes a slow one when she starts getting winded. She especially needs more strength in hands, and forearms to better corral rebounds and to finish bunny shots and putbacks. And lack of explosiveness and leaping is definitely a weakness, as mentioned. I think she could better use the backboard than she does on offense.

Her strengths are her footwork on defense and an innate ability to be in the right place at the right time to block shots. She has obviously been coached very well there and has terrific natural talent and has worked hard to hone that skill. And i think she has a good mid-range shot that maybe Kellie wants to use more.

Basically, if she were stronger and a little faster and quicker, and in much better condition, she could be a real offensive and rebounding force. If I were her, I'd work on conditioning and strength in the offseason, and develop a few offensive moves.

My ideal transfer without shooting for the moon is a good but not yet great Freshman in the 4 or 5 position, so they would be okay backing up TK and Rickea, and then would be ready to possibly start the following year. I think it will be really hard to get a really good experienced 4 or 5 player through the transfer, as I doubt they would want to risk being a backup next year.

Reactions: glv98
I think we should give it a shot, because we could use a big with power 5 experience.
Although Brown is tall and ok defensively (and she was a McDonald's All-American), she likes to think of herself as a stretch 4 and, while at Oregon State, resisted playing inside. She can, of course, think whatever she wants about where she belongs on the court; however, since she doesn't have a decent shot from outside, believing she is a "stretch" 4 is, well, a stretch. So, if you are looking for help for Key, I don't think she's an ideal option.

Reactions: Rooster1
This is probably one of THE premiere players in the portal right now, along with Dre Edwards and Ashja Blackwell.

I dont think we will be involved in either of these two. These are kids that Holly would have taken. Edwards suspended how many times this year? Blackwell crazier than hades and you call these kids premiere? You have much to learn.

I saw where there was some earlier limited discussion of River Baldwin and her entry into the portal in this thread. If I am reading correctly, she would have two years of eligibility (senior year + covid year). Her stats weren't particularly stellar at FSU, but any center with stellar stats is not going to want to come into a program in what, in my opinion, is almost guaranteed to be a backup role, at least next season. I saw where VB09 said she was a little timid for his taste, but does anyone know if there is any appearance of Tennessee staff interest, and what do the more knowledgeable fans on here think about Baldwin and her availability as a serviceable backup for Key, as well as giving us breathing space for signing and training a hs post for the future?

on edit: I also saw an article on an FSU site that said she chose FSU over Kentucky, Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee, Auburn and UConn.

Last edited:
I saw where there was some earlier limited discussion of River Baldwin and her entry into the portal in this thread. If I am reading correctly, she would have two years of eligibility (senior year + covid year). Her stats weren't particularly stellar at FSU, but any center with stellar stats is not going to want to come into a program in what, in my opinion, is almost guaranteed to be a backup role, at least next season. I saw where VB09 said she was a little timid for his taste, but does anyone know if there is any appearance of Tennessee staff interest, and what do the more knowledgeable fans on here think about Baldwin and her availability as a serviceable backup for Key, as well as giving us breathing space for signing and training a hs post for the future?

on edit: I also saw an article on an FSU site that said she chose FSU over Kentucky, Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee, Auburn and UConn.
Coach Joy came from FSU. Maybe she will look at Tennessee

Totally agree, you could just tell it may be coming this season. She was clearly frustrated for the middle third of the season. I actually wonder if this decision wasn’t agreed on a couple months ago and just announced now.

She was really struggling with her attitude on the bench toward the beginning of SEC play. Not long after that she improved attitude wise but no longer entered games. I think she was going through a lot losing her memaw early in the season as well.
I never noticed a bad attitude, but I probably wasn’t looking either. I’m happy that she’s doing what is best for her.

I dont think we will be involved in either of these two. These are kids that Holly would have taken. Edwards suspended how many times this year? Blackwell crazier than hades and you call these kids premiere? You have much to learn.
Blackwell is crazy? Can you site incidents that led you to that belief?

Reactions: Smallvol#1
I never noticed a bad attitude, but I probably wasn’t looking either. I’m happy that she’s doing what is best for her.

It you go back and watch some of the games it was very evident. I made lots of posts around that time directly encouraging Emily. I’ve always watched her on the bench because she was always such a good teammate.

She was usually engaged in the game and the first person to cheer or jump to her feet when something positive happened.

Toward the end of non-con play/beginning of SEC play that changed. You could see her actively pouting on the bench and her attitude was just down in general. She had just lost her Memaw as well so I’m sure she wasn’t in the best place mentally to start with.

Soon as we would get a lead on a team she would start to pout if she did not enter the game. It got so obvious during the first Vandy game Kellie had to actually go sit and talk with her during the middle of the game. Distracting to say the least.

Not long after that her attitude improved, that’s why I suspect this decision may have actually been made a couple months ago but only announced after the season. Glad Emily gets to sign the pole and is a LVFL. I will watch her diligently wherever she goes next!

Last edited:
Reactions: lvocd and lfvol

Really good shooter but that’s about it. She was absolutely terrible defensively in the games I watched this season. He couldn’t keep her on the floor because she gave up way more than she scores.

Got posted up by everyone and their mother against us when she was in the game. Didn’t matter who was guarding her they took her right to the block and shot a layup.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Agreed. I don’t understand a lot of posters on this forum. Kellie has made it clear from the beginning: No drama. Player has to be a good fit with the team as do the parents. Player has to be equally dedicated to basketball, academics, and leadership. This is the standard.

It you go back and watch some of the games it was very evident. I made lots of posts around that time directly encouraging Emily. I’ve always watched her on the bench because she was always such a good teammate.

She was usually engaged in the game and the first person to cheer or jump to her feet when something positive happened.

Toward the end of non-con play/beginning of SEC play that changed. You could see her actively pouting on the bench and her attitude was just down in general. She had just lost her Memaw as well so I’m sure she wasn’t in the best place mentally to start with.

Soon as we would get a lead on a team she would start to pout if she did not enter the game. It got so obvious during the first Vandy game Kellie had to actually go sit and talk with her during the middle of the game. Distracting to say the least.

Not long after that her attitude improved, that’s why I suspect this decision may have actually been made a couple months ago but only announced after the season. Glad Emily gets to sign the pole and is a LVFL. I will watch her diligently wherever she goes next!

I saw it, too. The most important thing to me is that she will definitely be a lifelong member of the Lady Vol sisterhood, always welcome and encouraged to return to campus in the future to visit with the team and coaches and to big events that draw alums together. I feel confident she'll always be loved in Knoxville.

I saw it, too. The most important thing to me is that she will definitely be a lifelong member of the Lady Vol sisterhood, always welcome and encouraged to return to campus in the future to visit with the team and coaches and to big events that draw alums together. I feel confident she'll always be loved in Knoxville.
Love the fact that she earned her degree in 3 years and will always considered a LVFL....She is a great person and her teammates think the world of her and will only wish her the best in everything that follows her time at the University of Tennessee..... It would be nice if she could find a school that needs a post that can use her contribution in the paint on a regular basis

River Baldwin would not help Tennessee.

River Baldwin would not help Tennessee.
Baldwin just picked the wrong program in FSU. I think she would serve the LVs well in a backup role in the LVs post rotation until the LVs can get a stud in the post in the Class of 2023. In any event, Karoline is going to hold her own as Tamari's backup this upcoming season. GBO.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

VN Store

Back