Transfer Portal 21-22

Shug Dickson would actually be a good add to the perimeter. She can be a pain on the court shoots a good overall percentage, not to shabby from 3pt range (35%) 88 assists to 55 tos and about 1 steal a game. she doesn’t need a lot of shots to make a difference so could fit in seamlessly and add to the team.
She’s my cousin Sug’s cousin. She’s a good kid. Wonder why she’s leaving again! She’s moved around a lot. I’d definitely take her.

View attachment 362113

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Seems ot me there is no one player who will make up for the loss of Davis scoring wise. Rae must step up and be the go-to scorer that Davis was, maybe average 2 or 3 points more pg. Tamari averaged 9 ppg and less than 6 Rpg. She should average more on both fronts, probably should get 13+ ppg and 10+ rpg. Don't forget that scoring is a big part of Striplin's game. I see her getting significant minutes this season. Walker can score more if she is no longer encumbered by injury. That brings us to Horston. She averaged 8.6 ppg last season. Not unreasonable to think she can get 4 or 5 more. Also don't forget that KK scored 7 ppg and got 6 rebounds, and I assume Green will get those numbers at least. But, even with all those increases, it appears we will definitely need three point shooting from somewhere. Who will it be?

I think Horston will be unstoppable once she stops rushing her shots and taking ill-advised floaters. I think she could easily step into Rennia's role once she learns to finish better and hopefully that next step will happen over the summer.
I totally agree! If she develops a scorer's mindset during the offseason and less of a facilitator (she can still facilitate when needed), we will be just fine.

Seems ot me there is no one player who will make up for the loss of Davis scoring wise. Rae must step up and be the go-to scorer that Davis was, maybe average 2 or 3 points more pg. Tamari averaged 9 ppg and less than 6 Rpg. She should average more on both fronts, probably should get 13+ ppg and 10+ rpg. Don't forget that scoring is a big part of Striplin's game. I see her getting significant minutes this season. Walker can score more if she is no longer encumbered by injury. That brings us to Horston. She averaged 8.6 ppg last season. Not unreasonable to think she can get 4 or 5 more. Also don't forget that KK scored 7 ppg and got 6 rebounds, and I assume Green will get those numbers at least. But, even with all those increases, it appears we will definitely need three point shooting from somewhere. Who will it be?
I agree and I think that shooting comes. We have to shoot it! We have a tendency to pass up many open shots. The only ones who aren't passing up open shots on the current Roster is Rae and Tess. I think the 3pt shooting is there and a little more help is coming in, the question becomes, Will they shoot?

We could still use a great 3 point shooter. Unless coach thinks she’s got one on the team already that’s the only weak spot I can see. Alexus is a great addition and a terrific player. She is not a 3 point shooter though.
Rae Burrell Shot 40% from the 3 this year and will only continue to get better as she has the last two years. When she put it up, it generally looked like it was going in. Tess Darby from freshman to sophomore may surprise some too.

Rae Burrell Shot 40% from the 3 this year and will only continue to get better as she has the last two years. When she put it up, it generally looked like it was going in. Tess Darby from freshman to sophomore may surprise some too.

That’s what I’m hoping for Rae has a great shot, she can’t be the only option from 3 though or it’s too hard to get her shot off. We need someone who can hit that backside 3 when Rae, Horston etc draw the defense.

Could be Tess, but based on what we saw last year she is going to need to improve her conditioning and physicality vastly. I suspect she’ll give us 10-15 minutes a game.

We could still use a great 3 point shooter. Unless coach thinks she’s got one on the team already that’s the only weak spot I can see. Alexus is a great addition and a terrific player. She is not a 3 point shooter though.
I think Puckett is a decent three point shooter 33 percent. Wynn doesn't have the history on 30 percent but she was really knocking them down in that tourney a few weeks ago. Those two unless we decide to go get somebody to go with Burrell. The little girl Miles shot 34 percent for the season also but she is just totally inconsistent from game to game and wonder how she will be able to play against the bigger stronger college players. I'd like to see us get somebody that had the entire game and could shoot it from there Alexus Troy teammate number four would be a player she should bring with her.

I think Puckett is a decent three point shooter 33 percent. Wynn doesn't have the history on 30 percent but she was really knocking them down in that tourney a few weeks ago. Those two unless we decide to go get somebody to go with Burrell. The little girl Miles shot 34 percent for the season also but she is just totally inconsistent from game to game and wonder how she will be able to play against the bigger stronger college players. I'd like to see us get somebody that had the entire game and could shoot it from there Alexus Troy teammate number four would be a player she should bring with her.

Yep, some of the newcomers can shoot it. Don’t expect them to have the green light right away though. Percentage and form Tess is the best shooter on the team. Remains to be seen if she can defend consistently.

If Walker gets her knee brace off I think she’ll be a much better shooter. She did not have any lift on her shot.

Last edited:
To me we need a versatile 6’1”-6’3” 2-4 position who can play down low, and present an outside presence from free throw line to 3 point line. We need to press for that type of player who has some size and can also provide speed when needed. Tamari is our biggest big, but her and Emily Saunders can’t play at the same time. Keyed Green will be of some help, but she’s only 6’1.” Need a little bigger but down low for the 4 and occasional 5.

To me we need a versatile 6’1”-6’3” 2-4 position who can play down low, and present an outside presence from free throw line to 3 point line. We need to press for that type of player who has some size and can also provide speed when needed. Tamari is our biggest big, but her and Emily Saunders can’t play at the same time. Keyed Green will be of some help, but she’s only 6’1.” Need a little bigger but down low for the 4 and occasional 5.
we already have one her name is Karoline Striplin and hopefully a healthy Marta Suarez😉

I think Dye can play the 4 much better than any of the options this past year. She doesn't have the shooting range of Marta, but she's quicker and a more natural rebounder. Her midrange game complements Key unlike KK, where they both ended up clogging the lane.

Key, Green and Striplin will need to be the main rotation at the 5. I don't see Saunders being a rotation player even if she is taller than the other two.

I don't know why we don't consider playing more positionless 1-4 and then keep key at the 5. Maybe that's nowhere near what Kellie is planning on doing, but it seems to be the way the game is going... at least in the WNBA ( I know that's apples to oranges.)

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
The nice thing with the Dye signing is that it puts less pressure on Puckett and Striplin as freshmen playing behind an experienced 5th year player. It makes anything they produce a bonus instead of them being relied on to play bigger roles.

Completely agree. Freshmen could use the time to adapt to the next level.

VN Store

Back