Transfer Portal 21-22

You're right on the rankings. For some reason the rankings in their bios on ND's website say lower than what the ESPN rankings say.

You're only taking into consideration rankings and not roster experience, and that's fine. But you know as well as I do that rankings don't mean a whole lot. Like Burrell, who was underrated. We've also had a share of highly rated recruits that turned out to be busts. All of ND's highly ranked players, outside of Walker, are underclassmen. And Walker hasn't looked as good since her knee injury at UNC, although she's still a solid player.

Also, Ivey didn't inherit Miles. Miles enrolled in January and only played in six games.
Burrell wasn't underrated until this season. She wasn't that great until this season. Trying to say Kellie inherited a better roster is not factual.. After Davis, Burrell, and Key not that great. KK and Horston have been average Walker and Suarez manageable and the rest
still trying to see if they can play any at all. People here say ratings are everything so I'll take the majority at their word because they have sure rundown the 9th ranked class as a terrible recruiting job.

You're leaving out the fact that they're all underclassmen except for Walker. And Mabry wasn't top 30 and was only given a 90 by ESPN. Nielle took over a very inexperienced roster whether you like it or not, while Kellie's roster simply had more experience. Also, we sucked last year and were going to be lucky to make the NCAAT. Last year was Kellie's first team while this year was Nielle's first team.

Many of ND's best players are freshmen, like Westbeld, Peoples and Miles. Miles, the fantastic early enrollee, only played six games. Mabrey was good for them this season, but she's a transfer from VT and wasn't highly ranked or highly recruited (unlike her sisters) anyway.
Davis and KK are the only seniors Burrell is a junior the rest that play are a Grad transfer and two sophomores and couple of freshmen. I can go get the roster if I have to but she had at least three seniors on that roster and like Horston and Key Brunell and Peoples are at least sophomores. Walker is a grad transfer senior highly ranked.

Yeah, I don't get the "more experienced" deal. Key and Horston were freshmen, Burrell soph, and Davis a junior in Kellie's first year. Our seniors were Harris and grad transfer Lou Brown. We did have Massengill last year, but she was still learning the PG position. And Kellie and staff had to build relationships with players they had never recruited and with discouraged returning players who had experienced the nadir of a program which hasn't reached a final four in well over a decade...compared to Notre Dame's multiple finals and a recent championship.

You're right on the rankings. For some reason the rankings in their bios on ND's website say lower than what the ESPN rankings say.

You're only taking into consideration rankings and not roster experience, and that's fine. But you know as well as I do that rankings don't mean a whole lot. Like Burrell, who was underrated. We've also had a share of highly rated recruits that turned out to be busts. All of ND's highly ranked players, outside of Walker, are underclassmen. And Walker hasn't looked as good since her knee injury at UNC, although she's still a solid player.

Also, Ivey didn't inherit Miles. Miles enrolled in January and only played in six games.
Ivey was partly responsible for the construction of the Notre Dame roster despite being gone for a year but she also inherited a team that had a losing record. None of the current Notre Dame players were starters on thoses teams that played in back to back NCAA titles games.

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Women's Basketball

Here is their roster for this season a lot of juniors and couple of seniors. Other than Davis we have one senior KK then Burrell is a junior two three star Grad Transfers and the rest are sophomore and freshmen.

Reactions: volfan__18
Women's Basketball

Here is their roster for this season a lot of juniors and couple of seniors. Other than Davis we have one senior KK then Burrell is a junior two three star Grad Transfers and the rest are sophomore and freshmen.

To me just my opinion looking at ND roster and watching some of there games late in the season. Ivey was starting fr Olivia Miles at the pg and i think she is gonna be a good one. So to me Alasia Hayes saw the writing on the wall that she was not gonna play much.

Burrell wasn't underrated until this season. She wasn't that great until this season.

Burrell averaged double figures last year and was second on the team in scoring (technically Zaay Green was second but she only played three games). She had a huge improvement from her freshman year to last year.

Trying to say Kellie inherited a better roster is not factual..

Of course it isn't factual. This entire discussion is subjective and a matter of opinion -- just like high school rankings are, BTW. It is factual to say a player was ranked higher but it isn't factual to say a player is better based on a HS ranking.

KK and Horston have been average

That's a prime example of why ratings are practically useless, since Horston was a top five player and KK at one point was the top post in her class. She was ranked #11 by ProspectsNation but #57 by ESPN, despite being in the top 15 in ESPN's ranking in her sophomore and junior seasons.

People here say ratings are everything

Well, I'm not one of those people, and you responded to my comment, so I'm not sure what to tell you.

To me just my opinion looking at ND roster and watching some of there games late in the season. Ivey was starting fr Olivia Miles at the pg and i think she is gonna be a good one. So to me Alasia Hayes saw the writing on the wall that she was not gonna play much.
I bet she ends up at MTSU like the others.

Reactions: djtee
Women's Basketball

I never said they didn't have juniors and seniors. I, too, can look at roster. What I said was their contributors (i.e. their players that are actually good) are predominantly underclassmen.

Burrell averaged double figures last year and was second on the team in scoring (technically Zaay Green was second but she only played three games). She had a huge improvement from her freshman year to last year.

Of course it isn't factual. This entire discussion is subjective and a matter of opinion -- just like high school rankings are, BTW. It is factual to say a player was ranked higher but it isn't factual to say a player is better based on a HS ranking.

That's a prime example of why ratings are practically useless, since Horston was a top five player and KK at one point was the top post in her class. She was ranked #11 by ProspectsNation but #57 by ESPN, despite being in the top 15 in ESPN's ranking in her sophomore and junior seasons.

Well, I'm not one of those people, and you responded to my comment, so I'm not sure what to tell you.
Strange how people always want to act like Kellie Harper inherited a goldmine and every other coach had nothing yet the roster is loaded with highly ranked players both upper and lower classmen. The point being you want to make Harper look like a bad coach that can't coach a lot of talent which is BS because her roster is about the fifth or sixth most talented roster in the SEC let alone where she would stand in the entire country. I think she has done a great job with the talent she has and is in the process of upgrading the roster.

I never said they didn't have juniors and seniors. I, too, can look at roster. What I said was their contributors (i.e. their players that are actually good) are predominantly underclassmen.
Well there are a lot of teams with underclassmen playing a lot better than Notre Dame with not as much talent. The argument you were trying to put forward that Ivy is a great coach but doesn't have any players. I think Harper is a better coach and had done more with less than most give her credit for. If Ivy's players are highly ranked and she can't get anything out of them that is on her.

Well there are a lot of teams with underclassmen playing a lot better than Notre Dame with not as much talent. The argument you were trying to put forward that Ivy is a great coach but doesn't have any players. I think Harper is a better coach and had done more with less than most give her credit for. If Ivy's players are highly ranked and she can't get anything out of them that is on her.

Bingo!

Reactions: travis929

💯

Eo4tAVGXEAk-ny_.jpg

any pic of her that looks good is photo shopped, any photo of her in real life shows all the euro makeup and warts....we have diff standards

Really she had four five star players on that roster and got an early entry five star. Five players rated in the top twenty of their class so how is that worse?
Exactly not to mention many of the young ladies that were freshman she recruited prior to leaving for a season to coach in the NBA, so the failure was on her

I'm with everyone on the sentiments about the talent level. Sometimes people get vocal about this or that post player, and I just ... feel like I'm watching a different team on a different planet than they are? It's like people just forget about where and how the roster was assembled. The post position at Tennessee has been patchwork for half a decade. Lots of transfers, both in and out, and not many dominant names. The only post signees in recent memory have been have been Key, Collins, Russell, and Kushikituah. It's a pretty glaring area of need and opportunity and it's been that way for years now. That doesn't mean you can't have people contributing at the position, but it's not as if Tennessee's got the sales receipts for expecting dominance on the blocks. Collins transferred out ages ago, Russell was signed in 2013, Key has shown flashes but struggles with certain aspects, and Kushkituah has only really upped her presence this season. I'm not trying to hate or anything, it's just that when folks complain about subbing or this or that this season, I find myself going "who do you think is lurking on the roster to plug that gap?" I dunno. I would dearly love to see Tennessee score one of those big name posts from 2022. But. It is what it is for now, with respect to the roster.

Everyone that follows the team knows Kellie is rebuilding the roster. Not a surprise given where the team was 2 years ago. They have some excellent players but not the depth they want. This past recruiting class was a really good one for addressing depth at certain positions. This next class will continue the trend and add a couple of all-star players beside Justine who will be an all-star as well. Where the team could take a giant step forward is to score big in the portal which will ease the pain of Rennia/KK's departures while the young players are developed and seasoned.

Everyone that follows the team knows Kellie is rebuilding the roster. Not a surprise given where the team was 2 years ago. They have some excellent players but not the depth they want. This past recruiting class was a really good one for addressing depth at certain positions. This next class will continue the trend and add a couple of all-star players beside Justine who will be an all-star as well. Where the team could take a giant step forward is to score big in the portal which will ease the pain of Rennia/KK's departures while the young players are developed and seasoned.
Look at Michigan Brown to me there most valuable player transfer from Nebraska. We can get a few that can help us win next year. But they do have to be a fit with team chemistry that Coach is still working on. In CHRIST Alone

Another grad xfer in the portal from Arkansas WBB: Taylah Thomas (6-1 SR forward, Arlington, TX)

Another grad xfer in the portal from Arkansas WBB: Taylah Thomas (6-1 SR forward, Arlington, TX)
Did she confirm that she's grad transferring?

She was a really good fit for filling a needed gap with Arkansas (as best as she could, anyway). I'm not sure how she would fit in with a more traditional team.

Reactions: travis929
Did she confirm that she's grad transferring?

She was a really good fit for filling a needed gap with Arkansas (as best as she could, anyway). I'm not sure how she would fit in with a more traditional team.

Interesting. Just did a little digging and she was #10 in the SEC this year in player offensive ratings and #2(!!) last year -- seemingly due to her high 2 point FG%, FT rate, and FT%. Doesn't score a lot, but is efficient. She was also #8 in the SEC in blocks this year.

I think a lot of these players are trying to get closer to home bet Taylor ends up at a college somewhere close to Arlington, Texas.

VN Store

Back