Transfer Portal 21-22

Not the least bit surprised. She was the one I was expecting to announce next. I expect that Rickea and Jessika will follow soon.

Whoever gets Mingo Young will be lucky. Once her 3-pt accuracy improves, she will be quite a handful
Mingo has talent but the quite a handful will not be due to her on court performance. If you've watched a few of their games her on and off court demeanor tells you all you need to know. She has a tendency to do what she wants whether you like it or not. It will be very interesting to see where she ends up. It's one thing to do what you want and back it up with your play (Chennedy Carter) and another to do what you want and be as inconsistent as she is. I think Nikki lose some of the players Vic allowed to "free-lance" and I think the others will stay. I know I might be in the minority though.

I always felt Nikki should've built ODU back up (which she was doing) before leaving. Delisha Milton-Jones has picked up right where she left off and is enjoying what Nikki began to put together. Similar to Nikki at LSU, I think had she stayed at UCLA, she would've been to a few final 4's by now.

Ole Miss will be in the top of the SEC next season I expect that they will grab a couple of top notch transfers to add with an already excellent returning roster.

They have 14 players returning it looks like and that’s if Valerie Nesbitt doesn’t return then it’s 15. So a couple things could happen coach yo can run off a couple players to make space or grab a couple of one year rentals because it won’t count against the scholly cap of 15 next year. she has to balance out not over doing it with someone who may be an underclassmen because the following year things go back to normal as far as 15. Also, Ole Miss has to be willing to pay for that extra scholarship or two if she goes over the limit because the team who is making them exciting wants to be a part of it. Coach Yo seems loyal to her players who believed in her but this is also a business. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I think the same thing about us. While we will have more spaces i think Kellie can start to be a little (just a little ) bit more selective. While looking toward the future

Mingo has talent but the quite a handful will not be due to her on court performance. If you've watched a few of their games her on and off court demeanor tells you all you need to know. She has a tendency to do what she wants whether you like it or not. It will be very interesting to see where she ends up. It's one thing to do what you want and back it up with your play (Chennedy Carter) and another to do what you want and be as inconsistent as she is. I think Nikki lose some of the players Vic allowed to "free-lance" and I think the others will stay. I know I might be in the minority though.

I always felt Nikki should've built ODU back up (which she was doing) before leaving. Delisha Milton-Jones has picked up right where she left off and is enjoying what Nikki began to put together. Similar to Nikki at LSU, I think had she stayed at UCLA, she would've been to a few final 4's by now.

No doubt Mingo Young has a bit of attitude. She needs a coach that will control her. I think Vic did that quite well; he's not the kind of guy that let anyone freelance...seemed like a "my way or the highway guy". Certainly not as passive as Nikki appears to be as she sits on the sideline.

It seems that MSST had some characters that needed to be harnessed, and Nikki's not up to the task. Still think she loses Jackson and Carter in the offseason, and she won't have much to work with next season to get MSST back to contender status. They will be devoid of any inside presence if Jessika leaves and she can't mine the portal for a suitable replacement. She didn't exactly light it up with this incoming recruiting class to get difference makers to replace what she lost (or may be losing) either. If Hayes is among the list of players that decides to take their talents elsewhere, next season is done for.

No doubt Mingo Young has a bit of attitude. She needs a coach that will control her. I think Vic did that quite well; he's not the kind of guy that let anyone freelance...seemed like a "my way or the highway guy". Certainly not as passive as Nikki appears to be as she sits on the sideline.

It seems that MSST had some characters that needed to be harnessed, and Nikki's not up to the task. Still think she loses Jackson and Carter in the offseason, and she won't have much to work with next season to get MSST back to contender status. They will be devoid of any inside presence if Jessika leaves and she can't mine the portal for a suitable replacement. She didn't exactly light it up with this incoming recruiting class to get difference makers to replace what she lost (or may be losing) either. If Hayes is among the list of players that decides to take their talents elsewhere, next season is done for.
Oh I definitely agree with you! She has to find a way to get at least 1 of the 3 left to stay (Jackson, Hayes, Carter) or she'll end up like Vandy when they thought Stephanie White would be a good replacement for Melanie.

I wonder if she might be able to pull in players from other places that might want to get time. She did good with the portal at ODU (although not the same talent) until she was able to get her type of players and with so many leaving, I wouldn't count her out just yet (although I don't see her getting it back to the level Vic had it).

Reactions: Volfan2012
I guess Nikki wanted to challenge herself and didn't want to walk into an established program with a bona fide top 10 team. Well...it's a rebuilding job now!

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mia Moore and Jasmine Shavers move on, along with Godfrey and the slew of other current players waiting to post their announcements on IG. She'll be left with ODU-level players before summer session starts.

I wonder how many of the players are looking at Ole Miss? If they added a solid PG and C (Taylor/Carter), they would probably be able to challenge SC for bragging rights in the SEC. That would also make the in-state game interesting....

I haven't followed it enough. Do we know why Miss State is in the position they are in right now? What has Nikki done wrong?

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
I haven't followed it enough. Do we know why Miss State is in the position they are in right now? What has Nikki done wrong?

Nikki is no Vic, for starters. He made reference last year that last year's team was hard to coach, but even then...he got results. He had them playing quite well last season in what should have been a major rebuilding job after losing 3 hugely important starters, one of which was McCowan. Probably some immaturity on the part of the players, but he reigned it in and had them playing like a typical MSST team by the time they made the SECT final.

Nikki does not appear to have control of the team the same way Vic did, and you can see on most of the players' faces that they are not enjoying themselves. When players come to the sideline, they brush right past her. They went through a streak of games where they were just going through the motions for 3 quarters, and then would furiously scramble to try to pull out the win. They looked lost on defense, and played offense like a Holly-coached team. Just...bad all around, and ultimately that falls on Nikki. She couldn't get the job done with a pre-season consensus top 8 ranked team, and they failed to make the tournament under her watch. Not a good look.

Reactions: mlindsay
As far as I know, no one who posts here is an insider or has witnessed practices or talked to any players. Many are discussing a mass exodus and there may be one but not because anyone knows for sure. It is speculation and disappointment more than anything. Any coach that comes in with a new system will probably get resistance from the returning players who experienced success with the prior regime. Did that play a part in the outcome? Who knows except for the team. I hope Nikki gets all the chance MSST gave her but if VolNation is the pulse of their program, she seems to be tried, convicted and awaiting execution.

Last edited:
Nikki is no Vic, for starters. He made reference last year that last year's team was hard to coach, but even then...he got results. He had them playing quite well last season in what should have been a major rebuilding job after losing 3 hugely important starters, one of which was McCowan. Probably some immaturity on the part of the players, but he reigned it in and had them playing like a typical MSST team by the time they made the SECT final.

Nikki does not appear to have control of the team the same way Vic did, and you can see on most of the players' faces that they are not enjoying themselves. When players come to the sideline, they brush right past her. They went through a streak of games where they were just going through the motions for 3 quarters, and then would furiously scramble to try to pull out the win. They looked lost on defense, and played offense like a Holly-coached team. Just...bad all around, and ultimately that falls on Nikki. She couldn't get the job done with a pre-season consensus top 8 ranked team, and they failed to make the tournament under her watch. Not a good look.
Facts and very well said! Truly think she came in trying the Holly approach (being their friend/good cop) and they took advantage of that and when things got out of hand (they started losing) she wanted to be their boss (bad cop) and by then it was too late.

It is almost always important to be tougher when entering a new situation and then going soft rather than coming in soft and then attempting to be hard because then your actions look fake.

Wishing her the best, but it's going to be a long road.

Under size post player i watched her a few times this year. She can hit the outside shot and the 3. She was playing the 5 at Cinc.

Re: IImar'I Thomas 10/45 22% from 3. Very undersized for a wing. Otherwise, very good stats.

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

I mean you’re asking a coach to come into her first year to know personalities of players as you put it are hard to coach. Implementing her system couldn’t have been an easy transition. I think and hope she will eventually get the job done. At one point she even stated that she’s having a hard time getting them to buy into her system. Once she get that group of Ladies that will then she’ll have that success expected of her

Facts and very well said! Truly think she came in trying the Holly approach (being their friend/good cop) and they took advantage of that and when things got out of hand (they started losing) she wanted to be their boss (bad cop) and by then it was too late.

It is almost always important to be tougher when entering a new situation and then going soft rather than coming in soft and then attempting to be hard because then your actions look fake.

Wishing her the best, but it's going to be a long road.
I could’ve sworn that I saw where some of her players said that she was different behind close doors. Just because she didn’t display it on the sidelines doesn’t mean she wasn’t tough on them outside of the public view

I mean you’re asking a coach to come into her first year to know personalities of players as you put it are hard to coach. Implementing her system couldn’t have been an easy transition. I think and hope she will eventually get the job done. At one point she even stated that she’s having a hard time getting them to buy into her system. Once she get that group of Ladies that will then she’ll have that success expected of her

I think the right coach could have done that with the staff at hand. Mike made a good point. Be who you are from the get-go. If they don't like it, they will leave. If they do like it, then you have their attention. I'm sure it was hard because Nikki had to convince them to stay while at the same time implement her system. Having said that, Holly...who we all know couldn't coach to save her life...managed a better performance her first year after Pat stepped down in an even harder situation. She had wild stallion Meighan Simmons and emotionally turbulent Cierra Burdick to deal with, but she had a successful first season because she handled the situation much better. Nikki is the far opposite of that. Maybe she was too soft on them in the beginning to keep them on the roster, but then they had a miserable year and she's at risk of the players leaving anyway. Whatever her approach was clearly didn't work, but I still believe that a stronger coach could have had a much more positive result. As for her future, she's in the same spot as Kellie. She needs to prove she can haul in elite recruits...especially if Rickea, Carter and Hayes decide to transfer (still think at least 2 of them will). She'll be at an even bigger disadvantage compared to Kellie because she won't have a Rennia Davis to count on to win games as she transitions fully into her own system. Rickea could have been that player, but it doesn't look like she will stick around for that.

I think the right coach could have done that with the staff at hand. Mike made a good point. Be who you are from the get-go. If they don't like it, they will leave. If they do like it, then you have their attention. I'm sure it was hard because Nikki had to convince them to stay while at the same time implement her system. Having said that, Holly...who we all know couldn't coach to save her life...managed a better performance her first year after Pat stepped down in an even harder situation. She had wild stallion Meighan Simmons and emotionally turbulent Cierra Burdick to deal with, but she had a successful first season because she handled the situation much better. Nikki is the far opposite of that. Maybe she was too soft on them in the beginning to keep them on the roster, but then they had a miserable year and she's at risk of the players leaving anyway. Whatever her approach was clearly didn't work, but I still believe that a stronger coach could have had a much more positive result. As for her future, she's in the same spot as Kellie. She needs to prove she can haul in elite recruits...especially if Rickea, Carter and Hayes decide to transfer (still think at least 2 of them will). She'll be at an even bigger disadvantage compared to Kellie because she won't have a Rennia Davis to count on to win games as she transitions fully into her own system. Rickea could have been that player, but it doesn't look like she will stick around for that.
The fact is we’re all just stating opinions. And also with Covid there was no way for her to truly implement her system. Not only her but I’m sure other new coaches had similar issues. Like I said I think she’ll be fine. I’m rooting for her success and that’s all that matters to me. And I’m sure your post was very insightful but I wasn’t going to read all that.

another one...

Hmmm...decides to graduate on time because of her knees, immediately grad transfers to another school.

I don't know if Cooks was actually good or not, but she sure didn't show it this year. Not sure that's all on her, though.

Hmmm...decides to graduate on time because of her knees, immediately grad transfers to another school.

I don't know if Cooks was actually good or not, but she sure didn't show it this year. Not sure that's all on her, though.

She was really tough at Michigan State off and on. She does have a nice 3 point shot. Her knees do indeed seem bad. She looks like she has a hard time getting up and down and she has a tough time staying down in a stance guarding smaller players.

VN Store

Back