Tradition? New things? Fun?

Always think this would be awesome, Starting at the :40 second mark till about 1 min 9 seconds would be CRAZY

Barely...the canned music that plays between every damn play prevents them from being a part of the game.

I dont consider myself that much of a traditionalist but that needs to go away...now

The constant canned music one of the single most uninspired things I could imagine for a Tennessee football game. "Hey, let's play the same songs off the same NFL Generic Music Library CD Volume 2 that everyone else plays." It has nothing to do with Tennessee. Nothing. And they're playing it all the time now. Every time I hear it on the TV I just shake my head. It feels like they're playing this song or that song or whatever every other down. I even heard them play "Jump Around," which is WISCONSIN'S whole thing but hey whatever, right? Just push play. Stop worrying about it. People love it. And that'll always be the counter-argument. "But the crowd loves it." Well sure but the crowd will love a lot of things you do -- unless it's "Smokey's on the Prowl" which was a bad idea all around.

The crowd wants to interact. They love having things to do, to repeat, to make tradition. But coming up with unique things the crowd will love is hard. Pressing play on a music CD filled with songs the crowd already knows is easy. So we get boring CD music you could hear at any stadium in America. Dull. Generic. Filler.

Last edited:
I’ve said it before - if UT wants to spice up the fanbase, get not only more creative but think well outside the box. Rather than silly color-changing flashing lights, get holograms. Imagine a hologram frontiersman striding on the field or roaming the stadium during timeouts. Imagine, right after a successful Vols FG or PAT, a giant hologram football splitting the uprights and landing in the stands. Imagining one of our many Vols legends in uniform showing up giant size during a timeout waving at the crowd or reenacting a game moment. Or leading the band to a rendition of Down the Field or Rockytop. There are so many things that are possible if the university would just have the guts to be REALLY DIFFERENT. Creating instead of following new trends.
Dude I think you need to look up how holograms work and realize that idea is not only incredibly unfeasible but insanely exspenive.
Fans don’t need gimmicks, they just want to see their team win.

Our PA guy sucks. Really annoys me during the pregame. Wish he’d shut up and they could just play a recording of Bobby Denton
His silly "THIRRRRRRRRD Down" makes me puke in my mouth. Bobby was a true Vol legend, even when he mispronounced names.

Reactions: txbo
The constant canned music one of the single most uninspired things I could imagine for a Tennessee football game. "Hey, let's play the same songs off the same NFL Generic Music Library CD Volume 2 that everyone else plays." It has nothing to do with Tennessee. Nothing. And they're playing it all the time now. Every time I hear it on the TV I just shake my head. It feels like they're playing this song or that song or whatever every other down. I even heard them play "Jump Around," which is WISCONSIN'S whole thing but hey whatever, right? Just push play. Stop worrying about it. People love it. And that'll always be the counter-argument. "But the crowd loves it." Well sure but the crowd will love a lot of things you do -- unless it's "Smokey's on the Prowl" which was a bad idea all around.

The crowd wants to interact. They love having things to do, to repeat, to make tradition. But coming up with unique things the crowd will love is hard. Pressing play on a music CD filled with songs the crowd already knows is easy. So we get boring CD music you could hear at any stadium in America. Dull. Generic. Filler.
What's a CD?

That sounds like I'm watching the new Space Jam movie. Not a fan.

Trust me on this, Vol85, the Neyland experience isn't and can't be the same for everybody. As a fanbase, we're more than one person. You may not enjoy Neyland experience enhancements. Others do, however. Those that don't can always ignore the "distractions." And you can be darn sure such displays will blow visiting, digital toys raised, recruits minds. Even be the intangible little push for them to become Vols. In the old days it was about mud-splattered grit, toughness, and pride. Which we should never let go from our program. Except the mud isn't popular these days. Today, it's all about marketing and winning at all and any cause, but especially marketing. And some folks will never ever understand that. As a consequence, get their azzes left behind. Now, on my part, I advanced my "Space Jam" as you call it, idea because if we want to stand out in our marketing, do it Schlitz style. And I ain't gonna apologize.

iu

Last edited:
Dude I think you need to look up how holograms work and realize that idea is not only incredibly unfeasible but insanely exspenive.
Fans don’t need gimmicks, they just want to see their team win.

I concede, you have a point. The work is still being done, but it's coming. The UT should stay abreast and be ready to pounce. Be the first not a follower.
Does hologram technology exist?
A truly video content displaying floating in the air is not possible at the moment. [Source: https://virtualongroup.com/3d-holographic-projection-holographic-stage/]

Hadn't noticed this before. LOVE the various VOLS logos.

View attachment 402177

I feel there is an effort to help fans fall back in love with the Vols.

The announcement when the stadium opened was like boarding a plane. It was just different, and fun.

Things are different y'all.

I know, lame. But things are changing. For the better.
Looks like the teams we have played at home are not bringing their fans to Knoxville. That will change.

You read what the post was about, but opened to tell us .. what? The most over used two words on Volnation?

Everybody wants to win. But you're a spectator. You don't play the game, you just watch it. If the only thing you care about is the score on Saturday, why are you here?
Dear Vollygirl, Want to go to a music festival or fashion show, be my guest and head to the beach or NYC. I’m here to watch football and not for the sideshow. You sound like a Vandy fan. They are losers. I like to win. “There’s only one way to succeed in anything, and that is to give it everything. I do, and I demand my players do”. Vince Lombardi. Again, want to play games, go to the state fair. We play football in Neyland. Winning matters.

I was against you until your last sentence/question. That's a really good point lol
My father was in the military. We listened to John Ward and hung on every word. I’ve bled orange since a kid. Live in Tennessee, got my UT room all decorated up, met many of the players, graduated with BS and MS in engineering from UT and UTSI. Having someone question “why are you here” is fighting words. Bring it on! Telling thousands of fans who can’t make the game in person “why are you here” is getting personal and ugly. I’ve been to maybe 50 games in my life and love the thrill of the opening ceremonies, the alma mater, but most important is how we play and yes, did we win. If you don’t value winning, go to a movie. No winners there and lots of Hollywood to look at.

My father was in the military. We listened to John Ward and hung on every word. I’ve bled orange since a kid. Live in Tennessee, got my UT room all decorated up, met many of the players, graduated with BS and MS in engineering from UT and UTSI. Having someone question “why are you here” is fighting words. Bring it on! Telling thousands of fans who can’t make the game in person “why are you here” is getting personal and ugly. I’ve been to maybe 50 games in my life and love the thrill of the opening ceremonies, the alma mater, but most important is how we play and yes, did we win. If you don’t value winning, go to a movie. No winners there and lots of Hollywood to look at.
So it's not OK for someone to ask "why you're here". But it's fine for you to say that thousands of other fans shouldn't be here because they aren't doing exactly what you want on game day? That sounds suspiciously like this...
stop-liking-what-i-dont-like.jpg

I don't know how old you are. But unless you want people to think you're really old you might stop talking about CD's which I'm certain they are not using on Saturdays. I went to the SC game. I didn't like that not once did we have the V-O-L-S cheer. But based on what todays 15-25 years olds want I think they are doing a good job of mixing the band with the PA.

I'm gonna be a pragmatist for just a second. Fan experience is a big deal, and we have an athletic director who has already spoken multiple times on the subject in his new tenure with us.

A game lasts maybe three and a half hours. If you show up at the gate at kickoff, you're not going to be in your seat at kickoff. So let's say for the sake of argument that you're going to be in or around the stadium for a good four hours... because you *do* stay until the end of the game, and not bail early because of traffic or something, right?

Of that time, maybe 20 minutes or so is actual plays being run in a football game. If the athletic department wants to put time and effort into ensuring fans are entertained the rest of their time in the stadium, and getting value from some fairly expensive tickets, that's a win. Offer fans something they don't get if they're sitting at home watching on TV. Marching band, light shows, fighter flyovers, beer gardens, name it.

Promoting an electric atmosphere is part of having a winning program, and I'm coming around to the idea that kids 10, 20, 30 years younger than me have some different ideas about what's entertaining. I kinda get used to things like "ok, playing Wolfmother for kickoffs is just a thing, now".

There is a huge fan fueled event in the plans for 2022 and it's something never experienced before in Neyland Stadium. It's called the STORM OF ORANGE and will certainly get recruits attention, the stadium fans and VOLNATION inVOLved. Details to be released soon. Pandemonium is coming! #ruready

IMG_-6tsg2.jpg

Reactions: LakeMaryFLVol
We're waaaaaaaiiiiiiiiitinggggggggg???? I think I feel like Pavlov's dog .... I keep hitting F5 and hoping.

That
Was
Awesome.

That's why a 70" television can't displace game day.

While I agree with you, when I cannot make the game my 72 inch with 50Watt surround sound set to 11 sure does my heart good! The neighbors here in FL are not so sure about their level of enthusiasm, though. :cool:

VN Store

Back