Top 20 Vols of All Time?

The idea that someone would try to say Johnny Darden and Rodney Woods were better than Tony Harris with a straight face is mindboggling. Harris is the Casey Clausen of Tennessee basketball. He's easily the most unfairly maligned UT hoopster ever.

Laughable? Mind-boggling? What a friendly fellow you are, Mr. Hat! I am very open to your points as I saw neither Darden nor Woods play. When I made the list, you are actually one of the ones I hoped to hear from. I knew there were people who knew a lot more about UT hoops than me, and I figured you were one of them. I should have known that all I could expect from you was jabs, cheap shots, and hyperbole.

Yes. Yes. Darden was so awesome that DeVoe played Bertelkamp ahead of him for long stretches his senior season.

Thanks for info, I guess. Were they turnover prone? Hard to ignore the eye-popping assist totals from those two. My list is biased towards stats. I guess that's because I think a lot of fans have skewed perceptions based on expectations, etc. (See Yarbrough) I really am glad to get the input of eyewitnesses. My dad loved Johnny Darden but I take his evaluations with a grain of salt as we often disagree about current players. (He is much higher on Tobias Harris than I am.) The only things I had against Tony Harris were his penchant for taking the game on his shoulders in the clutch --when he was surrounded by great talent-- and his unwillingness to play against UK as a senior. (Although I do appreciate the hay makers he tried to land.)

Last edited:
Wayne Chism has to be on this list ahead of the likes of Tony Harris and Isiah Victor and especially Steve Hamer. I would say JP Prince should at least be considered also, which I'm sure most will disagree if analyzing purely on #s. Also, I completely agree with you having Houston ahead of Ellis. By all accounts Ellis had One awesome year and Houston is the second leading scorer in SEC history.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Last edited:
Wayne Chism has to be on this list ahead of the likes of Tony Harris and Isiah Victor and especially Steve Hamer. I would think JP Prince should at least be considered also, which I'm sure most will disagree if analyIng purely on #s. Also, I completely agree with you having Houston ahead of Ellis. By all accounts Ellis had One awesome year and Houston is the second leading scorer in SEC history.

Wayne Chism has to be on this list ahead of the likes of Tony Harris and Isiah Victor and especially Steve Hamer. I would JP Prince should at least be considered also, which I'm sure most will disagree if analyIng purely on #s. Also, I completely agree with you having Houston ahead of Ellis. By all accounts Ellis had One awesome year and Houston is the second leading scorer in SEC history.

I heard Ellis played out of control in the beginning.

Wayne Chism has to be on this list ahead of the likes of Tony Harris and Isiah Victor and especially Steve Hamer. I would JP Prince should at least be considered also, which I'm sure most will disagree if analyIng purely on #s. Also, I completely agree with you having Houston ahead of Ellis. By all accounts Ellis had One awesome year and Houston is the second leading scorer in SEC history.

I heard Ellis was outstanding his entire Tennessee career, despite being forced to play out of position and constantly double- or sometimes even triple-teamed. Oh wait, I didn't hear about it from somebody else, I watched it.

Houston scored more points than Bernard King, too. Why don't you just bump him all the way up to first?

Scanned list, didn't see Lofton. Was about to get pissed, but then I saw number 7.

Solid list though.

Ever hear of Bill Justus ? He should be on your list instead of Rodney Woods and higher than 16. The issue with any list is how one compares the different eras. I, also, think that Darden, Victor, Harris and Hamer are nos. Just too lazy to do any research on my own. I would think about adding Mike Jackson, Tom Boerwinkle (sp), or Gary Carter instead of those 4. Good overall list. Last comment, I think that Dale Ellist would be ahead of Tony White. He played out of position the whole time he was at UT against much bigger players and still pretty much carried the team to, I believe, 4 straight NCAAs.

i may be biased because he was my coach for awhile when i was in school but rodney woods led tennessee in assist and maby the sec and held the single season and career assist leader for atleast 15 years maby longer so if you want bill justice on list then by all means take someone else off the list .and also i like victor but marcus haislep was better than him or anyone else on team his junior year he would have been a first team all american if he had not left for nba

Ellis was a pure shooter...as John Ward would say "he tickled the twine", preferred King over Ellis just because of his physical game...Houston was a stud...they have to be 1-3 in whatever order. I agree Gary Carter should be on the list too

I love these old bball threads. Not so much for naming the top 10 or 20 Vols players of all time, but trying to remember the forgotten Vols off teams that I used to watch:

Fred Jenkins
Ed Littleton
Kirk Naler
Dan Federman
Travis Henry
Ian Lockhart
Clarence Swearingen
Mark Griffith
Greg Bell
Rob Jones
Willie Burton
Steve Ray

GUNS . . . BANG!

Last edited:
I love these old bball threads. Not so much for naming the top 10 or 20 Vols players of all time, but trying to remember the forgotten Vols off teams that I used to watch:

Fred Jenkins
Ed Littleton
Kirk Naler
Dan Federman
Travis Henry
Ian Lockhart
Clarence Swearingen
Mark Griffith
Greg Bell
Rob Jones
Willie Burton
Steve Ray

GUNS . . . BANG!

Bell and Littleton...great to hear those names again. This is a good thread. Brings back memories. Anyone else think Nix's game went down after he got his hair cut. I know that is crazy, but it might have been something that made him feel more superior.

Bernard King was by far and away the best player ever to wear the Orange, and one of the top 3 all-time in SEC History. I doubt if we'll ever see another freshman player average almost 23 pts. and 10 rebounds a game, ever again. He was amazing. Scored more than 50 pts. in several NBA games. WOuld have gone down in NBA history if not for tearing up a knee.

King averaged over 26 pts and 12 rebounds his freshman season

Ellis was a pure shooter...as John Ward would say "he tickled the twine", preferred King over Ellis just because of his physical game...Houston was a stud...they have to be 1-3 in whatever order. I agree Gary Carter should be on the list too

It's not a whatever order. King is easily the best player to ever wear the orange and it isn't arguable. Ellis was better than Houston and so was Grunfeld, IMO. Houston MIGHT round out the top 5, because I would rate Reggie Johnson ahead of him as well

Bernard King was the best basketball player in the history of the SEC. Including Maravich, including everybody.

VN Store

Back