Top 20 Vols of All Time?

Fun list. I'd also have Ellis at 2. I think you'd also have to consider Jimmy England - he'd rank higher than Mike Edwards.

Ellis is #2 and it's not close.

If you're going all the way down to 20, I feel like Michael Brooks and Howard Wood should be on there somewhere.

I've been watching and following the Vols since the late 60s. King, Ellis, Grunfeld, Johnson and Houston would be my top five. Johnny Darden doesn't belong on the list. Rodney Woods doesn't belong on the list. I would have Jimmy England on it before either one of the them. Nix isn't top ten. Brandon Wharton shouldn't be on there either. Lofton wouldn't be in my top ten. Tony Harris, Isiah Victor and Steve Hamer have no business on the list either

You are the kind of fellow I wanted to hear from then. Question: You listed 6 that shouldn't be on the list. What six would you replace them with?

Ellis is second. The silliness about him only having one strong season is dead wrong.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

That would be silliness if that was what I said.

How old are you? I always thought you were in your 20's, but that was based on surliness and contentiousness. (Although you usually make halfway decent points.) Anyway, if you're old enough to have seen Ellis play, then I appreciate your opinion.

there's nothing laughable about your list bro... thanks for taking the time to put it together and bringing something to the board... concerning tony white... he was the best FT shooter ever and knew how to draw a foul when we needed two points... and most times he came away with two of em.. in an interview once, someone asked him why people missed so many free throws and what made him so good.. he said its simple really.. i just totally focus on the very front of the rim.. and then simply try to throw the ball just over the very front of the rim.... it improved my foul shots

I dont know how you leave off Wayne Chism for Tony Harris or Isiah Victor. Chism was the leader of the team's deepest NCAA tournament run.

and Yarbrough is way too high, dont care what the stats are. More to being a "greatest Vol" than numbers.

What do you base Yarbrough being lower on? He was a Wildcat killer and a beast at the defensive end IMO. One of my favorites.

Last edited:
there's nothing laughable about your list bro... thanks for taking the time to put it together and bringing something to the board... concerning tony white... he was the best FT shooter ever and knew how to draw a foul when we needed two points... and most times he came away with two of em.. in an interview once, someone asked him why people missed so many free throws and what made him so good.. he said its simple really.. i just totally focus on the very front of the rim.. and then simply try to throw the ball just over the very front of the rim.... it improved my foul shots

Thanks, Mr. Cafego. (Funny how he looked 50 years old even in 1939.) I was hoping for disagreement. Some people just disagree disagreeably. I never played much organized ball, but I was always a decent free throw shooter, myself, and that is similar to the approach I take. I just try to put it up there as soft and dead as possible. If you do that, you usually get the roll.

Last edited:
Can't wait for the 20 most entertaining players list. Carlus Groves and Doug "The Bird" Roth would be in the Top Five.

Thanks, Mr. Cafego. (Funny how he looked 50 years old even in 1939.) I was hoping for disagreement. Some people just disagree disagreeably. I never played much organized ball, but I was always a decent free throw shooter, myself, and that is similar to the approach I take. I just try to put it up there as soft and dead as possible. If you do that, you usually get the roll.

funny you say that on free throws... i used to put em up dead like that with maybe one revolution so if it hit the top front of the rim the momentum would usually give you the kind of roll you sought... when i started the tony white method(LOL) i put about two and a half revolutions on it... i'm more consistent this way but many aren't.. of course i still shoot them about as well as cafego probably would either way! he does look old for a max 22 to 23 year old doesn't he?

I loved Candace, that is a interesting idea is she top 20 material?

This is a men's list. That being said, you mean top 20 most talented or top 20 most accomplished?

For talent she lags behind Tyler Summit. For accomplished, yeah, of course she should be on there. As far as accomplished goes, the top 20 should be at least half Lady Vols.

Does Kevin Nash at least get an Honorable Mention?

1295931306-922593-450x268-1295930574mind-blown.jpg

This just blew my mind. Almost as much as the time I realized Marky Mark and Mark Wahlburg, are the same person.

Ellis is #2 and it's not close.

If you're going all the way down to 20, I feel like Michael Brooks and Howard Wood should be on there somewhere.

I loved Howard Wood. Saw him hit the game winning shot vs. LSU in '81 0r '82??
Michael Brooks could hit from anywhere within 30 ft. of the basket. If he had played when there was a 3-pt. line, he would have easily scored over 2000 pts. in his career.

Bernard King was by far and away the best player ever to wear the Orange, and one of the top 3 all-time in SEC History. I doubt if we'll ever see another freshman player average almost 23 pts. and 10 rebounds a game, ever again. He was amazing. Scored more than 50 pts. in several NBA games. WOuld have gone down in NBA history if not for tearing up a knee.

That would be silliness if that was what I said.

How old are you? I always thought you were in your 20's, but that was based on surliness and contentiousness. (Although you usually make halfway decent points.) Anyway, if you're old enough to have seen Ellis play, then I appreciate your opinion.

Before that, he was top 10, no debate. Michael Brooks was top 20.

Your assume function is weak.

The idea that someone would try to say Johnny Darden and Rodney Woods were better than Tony Harris with a straight face is mindboggling. Harris is the Casey Clausen of Tennessee basketball. He's easily the most unfairly maligned UT hoopster ever.

I would add Marcus Haislip and Gary Carter. Take out Tony Harris and Victor. Dyron Nix was awesome until his senior year. Getting his hair cut did something to his mentality. People didn't fear him as much...lol

]I dont know how you leave off Wayne Chism for Tony Harris or Isiah Victor. Chism was the leader of the team's deepest NCAA tournament run.

and Yarbrough is way too high, dont care what the stats are. More to being a "greatest Vol" than numbers.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more about Chism. Most wins of any Vol in history...

. Some people just disagree disagreeably

yeah, thats a good way to put it. too bad houston played on such bad teams, i think thats why so many dont appreciate just how great he was. i think yarbrough is too high. tony white was my first UT sports hero in any sport as a kid. i think chism should be on the list someplace too

like others have said , thanks for the list and good thread. its fun to think back on some of these guys

VN Store

Back