Top 10 biggest recruiting busts at UT since 2000

I think what people confuse is a player being a bust vs being a big disappointment. A lot of the names like Khalil and Brown are called busts by some because of the expectation of accomplishment.

I do disagree about Khalil "doing what was expected of him", he was ok as a space eater, but as a 5* he was expected to push the pocket, and he almost never did.

He was a big disappointment, but not a bust.

Well said

Everyone has their own opinion, but to me a bust is a highly rated player that can't get on the field. Chris Donald, Kenny O'neal, Dontavis Blair, OJ Owens, Jerrod Askew, Daniel Brooks, Dillon Bates etc...

Hard for me to say James Banks, DaRick Rogers, or Kahlil McKenzie were bust.

Exactly! Banks, Rogers and Kahlil all played many games and meaningful minutes for us. Too many guys who never got on the field can make this list.

Some of you are completely meshing bust and disappointment into the same thing. They are not.

Bryce Brown is number 1. He was the top PLAYER in the country and was VERY unwhelming.

Kmac was a good DT.. period anyone that things he wasn't knows nothing about football. He will get drafted, he will play on sundays. Not sit on the bench cashing checks he will play.

Kmac was not a bust people just set goals of him being something he was not. He is a space eater NT type who wont get a lot of stats. His Job is to make the MLB look good and he did that job well.

Just wait and see boys...

KMAC's only hope is if 'ol pops signs him as a free agent....

Those NFL GM's won't waste time, $$$, or draft picks on dudes like Kmac..... It is just what it is....he looked like Tarzan in HS all-America camps...but played like JANE in the SEC....

Reactions: 3 people
Kalihl McKenzie is not a bust. Not at all.

Scout had him as the #1 player in the country, 247 and Rivals both #6 nationally. He did virtually nothing here other than “anchor” 2 of the worst run defenses in school and SEC history. 5 star who played like a 2 or 3 star and who rarely had a positive impact on our defensive play.

As Austin Price said last week, if KMac had been on one of Fulmer’s teams, he’d have taken 1, maybe 2 looks at him and promptly moved over to offensive guard because he just didn’t have the ability to play DT at a high SEC level.....which is something KMac never did.

Given the incredibly high expectations he came to Knoxville with, he was absolutely a bust.

Reactions: 3 people
So many of Butch’s “Bricks”

1 Dillon Bates
2 Kyle Phillips
3 Khalil McKenzie
4 Preston Williams

VN Store

Back