Tony Thompson

Tony Thompson was one of my favorite Tennessee running backs. He ran like a man on a mission in 1990 leading the SEC in rushing. Tony Thompson showed what he was capable of in 1989 when he started against Kentucky and ran for 100+ yards.

Reactions: MAD
One of my all-time favorites! He was 5'9 and 185 lbs but played much larger. Will always remember that juke move against Mississippi State. I thought he was in the same mold as Reggie Cobb and Chuck Webb, only smaller. That dude could ball.

Always thought he was good enough to play at the next level.

Tony worked for me as an intern when he was in grad school. He is a great human being and never missed an opportunity to help others. I learned from him as well.

I thought he was in the same mold as Reggie Cobb and Chuck Webb, only smaller. That dude could ball..

Well,
He sure was no Cobb and Chuck Webb was the best Vols back that I've ever seen, but we'll never see that kind of a (Webb) RB again.
He was tough and (lol) could leap, climb over or under the OL. So small that a defense could not see him, and ran with a clip on his shoulder.

When he stepped in, can still remeber that Fumblerooski that we ran on Miss St. That o-line man was long gone before anyone knew what was going on. Even the cameraman was lost in space.

One of my all-time favorites! He was 5'9 and 185 lbs but played much larger. Will always remember that juke move against Mississippi State. I thought he was in the same mold as Reggie Cobb and Chuck Webb, only smaller. That dude could ball.

Always thought he was good enough to play at the next level.

Remember him well. Great running back. Wish we had some with his kind of heart now. Coach Majors thought very highly of him too.

My time in 1990 was spent mostly overseas. My wife, a couple of Marine friends and I went to the Colorado game in Anaheim and then we Marines left for Desert Storm the next Tuesday. We did get to hear the Bowl game on a radio. That was the last time I got to see Pickens.
Good times.

My memories of Tony... best play I enjoyed watching him execute was the tailback delay his release from the back field, then move out 4-5 yds beyond the line and takes the short pass... he always made great yardage with that play. I keep hoping to see it used again, but just don't see it. Of course, Tony had a special motor and could pull that play off.

Reactions: SpookyAction
My memories of Tony... best play I enjoyed watching him execute was the tailback delay his release from the back field, then move out 4-5 yds beyond the line and takes the short pass... he always made great yardage with that play. I keep hoping to see it used again, but just don't see it. Of course, Tony had a special motor and could pull that play off.
I think LB speed killed that play.

Can you imagine this guy, at 225 pounds. and 2 inches taller? He ran like he was way bigger. Love to watch him high step!

Tony Thompson going over the top to finish the comeback against UVA in the Sugar Bowl was about as good as it gets.
Tennessee football at it's best. They trailed the entire game. But, they stuck with the game plan, and wore UVA down, late in the 4th. The Cavaliers could see the writing on the wall, alot earlier. The defense kept it close, and the o-line took over. Game. Set, and match.

I like the Roland Poles sightings in the video. 42 was a BEAST!

Tony ran like his hair was on fire...so hard to tackle for a smaller back.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Tony had great balance and great feet. Start and stop whenever he wanted to. It was great watching him run back then.

VN Store

Back