Tony Elliott Appears To Be a Target

Tony Elliott has spent 10 years on staff with Clemson. Before that he played at Clemson. He is someone who is going to have get acclimated to just stepping foot on another campus. He would be going from calling Dabo Swinney's plays, from Dabo Swinney's playbook, with Dabo Swinney's players to...FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER...
Build a staff, build a strategy, build a culture... contractual obligations to the university, personnel decisions, scheduling of team activities, etc.

Theres a lot of difference in being then assistant manager that heads up one department as oppose to the general manager that runs place.

Tony Elliott knows how to run the Clemson offense. Dabo Swinney runs the Clemson program.

Can Tony Elliott deal with the added stress that comes with being the guy that makes the decisions vs being the guy that delegates what his boss wants his department to do?

I agree totally with your assessment of the demands of the HC position.

But coaching is a field where you work 14-18 hours a day to make sure that nothing is left to chance. I have zero doubt that Elliott has been making preparations for a HC position every day since his first year in coaching. I promise you he has years of large notebooks filled with notes, observations, and answers to questions that he's been posing to HCs around the country at coaching conferences as well as directly from Swinney.

Also, HC job positions come with an exhaustive job description of everything the school expects the HC to be responsible for. If Elliott came here and was surprised by anything, I guarantee Dabo Swinney would have been just as surprised.

Unless it isn’t...pending actual pesky results.
Elliott may do well in the end but IMO he is not a hire that unites the fanbase and gives UT an immediate spark which is what most people would like right now. UT fans are tired of being told to wait and see when schools like A&M and Ole Miss go out and pay what’s needed to get big names. White might not actually care what the fans think due to his new giant rolling 5 year contract (perhaps by design) but he is not going to like the reaction when this is officially announced (if true)

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
We did not hire a top tier AD to go after a coordinator. We have a premier job opening that pays extremely well. Anyone off the street could convince a coordinator to take this job. My theory: he’s after Elliott as OC

Reactions: bolvols
We did not hire a top tier AD to go after a coordinator. We have a premier job opening that pays extremely well. Anyone off the street could convince a coordinator to take this job. My theory: he’s after Elliott as OC
I’m thinking that with Incentives, got to have something more than just OC to make a appealing move

Elliott may do well in the end but IMO he is not a hire that unites the fanbase and gives UT an immediate spark which is what most people would like right now.
Not if certain fans insist on calling someone a failure before they call their first play. Seriously, who will unite the fanbase and give an immediate spark? Give me a name that everyone (not just you) will get behind initially. Certainly none of the names that have been mentioned on this site.

If he hires Elliot we revolt!! We have proved before in 2017 we fans the silent majority can make change happen.
Mob mentality rules, how did it work out at the Capital? We had an incompetent AD trying to hold on to his job...His Boss was also incompetent and did not know how to deal with it...Change will not happen like it did the last time because it worked once, it will not work again. AD change and Admin Change. Arrest will be made this time and Students will be sent home. Different Admin and AD. What's more don't look for a Schiano type hire...

Not if certain fans insist on calling someone a failure before they call their first play. Seriously, who will unite the fanbase and give an immediate spark? Give me a name that everyone (not just you) will get behind initially. Certainly none of the names that have been mentioned on this site.
There isn't any! Tony Elliot is as good a candidate as any available, and that's the key word, AVAILABLE!

Reactions: Perspective
there’s no way Elliot would be stupid enough to leave Clemson for TN at the same role even if he got more $

85% of fans want Kiffin according to a recent poll. I’d say maybe 30% or less want Elliott. Even if you can’t get Kiffin, there are plenty of other big names that most people would get behind. Freeze, Herman, Malzahn, etc..

Did he swing big? Did he have enough time to? If we roll Elliott out as HC. Did we really swing big, or did we just settle for yet another "up and comer"?
We don't know. But it appears many are just assuming us didn't. Would it be that surprising that a proven HC would not want this job?

Reactions: tvolsfan
We don't know. But it appears many are just assuming us didn't. Would it be that surprising that a proven HC would not want this job?
Not at all. We are a mess and looking back at the last 10-12 years any coach would have questions on this place. Whoever we hire I’m giving them a chance until I see a reason not to. Whoever comes here wants to come here

Reactions: Perspective
It would not be a surprise if many proven coaches don't want the job. It would be a surprise if none of the proven coaches want this job. Things look the worse recently, but the potential is still there. Surely someone with a winning record would be interested in this job. Especially with the AD we have in place now. I hope so anyway. Go Vols.

I agree totally with your assessment of the demands of the HC position.

But coaching is a field where you work 14-18 hours a day to make sure that nothing is left to chance. I have zero doubt that Elliott has been making preparations for a HC position every day since his first year in coaching. I promise you he has years of large notebooks filled with notes, observations, and answers to questions that he's been posing to HCs around the country at coaching conferences as well as directly from Swinney.

Also, HC job positions come with an exhaustive job description of everything the school expects the HC to be responsible for. If Elliott came here and was surprised by anything, I guarantee Dabo Swinney would have been just as surprised.
I think Elliot is prob a great guy.....and he will make a good head coach some day. He was “co” offensive coordinator all the way up until last year. So he’s really only had the keys to the offense for one year.....and a COVID year at that. I believe there are too many unknowns with him to bring him into an elite conference as his first head coach gig. I see him being very successful at a mid major....like possibly a Napier or chadwell. I just think you are rolling the dice on bringing him here. If he wasn’t good enough to give the UCF job to, I really don’t think you hand him the reins at this train wreck of a situation. Again....great guy, but in my humble opinion....I wouldn’t do it.

Reactions: WestTnVFL971
It would not be a surprise if many proven coaches don't want the job. It would be a surprise if none of the proven coaches want this job. Things look the worse recently, but the potential is still there. Surely someone with a winning record would be interested in this job. Especially with the AD we have in place now. I hope so anyway. Go Vols.
And we have to remember anyone taking this job is also taking on a big unknown with NCAA sanctions

Reactions: bolvols
I just think if you're an OC with no HC experience, you need to go be a head coach at a Sun Belt, Big East, Mountain West, or Conference USA level program before you just jump into the SEC. Especially at a program facing NCAA sanctions.

Reactions: BigCountryVol
I just think if you're an OC with no HC experience, you need to go be a head coach at a Sun Belt, Big East, Mountain West, or Conference USA level program before you just jump into the SEC. Especially at a program facing NCAA sanctions.
I would agree with this except for the fact we currently play like schools from those conferences so...
I think with Steele on staff that’ll be a big help to Elliot as well as he has HC experience

VN Store

Back