Tony Elliott Appears To Be a Target

Personally I could care less about whether or not the hire has previous HC experience or not. All I care about is whether or not they can come in & be successful (given time to work through whatever penalties we will face)! Every great HC was previously a coordinator & had to start somewhere. Our new AD has proven to hire winners, so if he beleives a coordinator is the best for the job then I’m good, if he don’t feel that way & feels this situation needs a HC who has precious HC experience, I’m on board. Point is White knows what he's doing, let him do it & we‘ll be in good shape.

I rather have interim coach for year or two. Because you know TN is going to give this guy a $20M buyout then your stuck with him...

Reactions: loservol
For those who say Elliott only looks good because of Trevor Lawrence, reminder that Clemson scored 33 regulation points on Notre Dame without Lawrence (he missed the regular season meeting in Covid protocol). That’s more than Bama scored on ND in the playoff.

Elliott would get killed on the recruiting trail against a Mullen, Saban, Orgeron, and Smart. Add on sanctions and penalties and he will be lucky to draw a top 30 class his first 2 years.

Reactions: vols-1 and loservol
The thing I don’t understand is the complainers that use, “ Tennessee isn’t a place to learn to be a head coach” people. Why isn’t it??? With the state that our roster is in right now, a phenomenal coach wouldn’t take us to the promise land, so why not a great offensive mind, who will be hungry to have success at his first stop. All learning curves should be taken care of by the time our roster is ready to win... everybody had to start somewhere. With the positive things I’ve learned about Elliot over the past few days, why can’t we just have the #indannyitrust mentality.
The thinking is that a big name, experienced head coach would flip the transfer portal to our advantage. Also, whoever the next head coach is will have more serviceable OL and DL than any Vols coach has had in his first season since Fulmer. Maybe Elliott can do that, maybe not. One thing that concerned me mightily when Pruitt came is that no Bama players followed him. That told me that he was part of a system and while his players may love him, he was not the reason they were there. I'll probably have the same concerns if White hires Elliott and we don't pick up a couple of Clemson transfers right away.

Yes because they were playing without multiple starters on defense and gave up 47 points. The Clemson offense wasn’t the issue.
If he wants to be the next Vols coach, maybe he should of made the right call to win in overtime.

You’re probably right and his info could very well be misdirection. It’s a local sports media guy.

I would argue that is probably worse than a rumored source - if he is like most they act like they know a lot more than they actually do, to show their knowledge and inside connections. There is not a local sports media guy that knows more than what the AD put out there if they are handling it correctly. Would be the last person I would share inside information with. Historically when we have done these things every friggin coach in America has used it to negotiate an increase at their current jobs. I fully expect this to be handled professionally which means no one will be tracking private flights into MT airport and the local sports media will know after there is an agreement in place and a candidate locked down. Just like what occured with the hiring of the AD.

Reactions: jerrync
I would argue that is probably worse than a rumored source - if he is like most they act like they know a lot more than they actually do, to show their knowledge and inside connections. There is not a local sports media guy that knows more than what the AD put out there if they are handling it correctly. Would be the last person I would share inside information with. Historically when we have done these things every friggin coach in America has used it to negotiate an increase at their current jobs. I fully expect this to be handled professionally which means no one will be tracking private flights into MT airport and the local sports media will know after there is an agreement in place and a candidate locked down. Just like what occured with the hiring of the AD.
Point taken. I will just say that when it comes to this past week, he knew about White on Wednesday. We all didn’t hear about it until like noon on Thursday.

People are lumping in Elliott with Pruitt and thats damn unfair to him. Former OC tend to make better head coaches in this era. Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC, Georgia, Washington, Clemson, and Miami are some of the traditional football powers who hired a coordinator or position coach straight into the hc job. Penn State did it with O'Brien. Georgia also did it with Richt. Oklahoma did it with Stoops. We did it with Fulmer. It's a common practice even among elite football programs. Elliott by all reports is an incredible coach. We are in an extremely bad spot. I personally wouldn't have a big issue with him taking the job.

I question whether Elliot is our top target or has just been contacted to see if he has interest

VN Store

Back