Tony Elliot

If the rumor that he, in fact, turned down the UT job last offseason, he instead takes the Virginia job?
So either that rumor isn’t true, or he thinks Virginia is a better coaching job than UT…yikes.
I don’t think he thought UT wasn’t as good of a job. At UVA he knows he will get all the time he needs to be successful . He can go 6-6, 7-5, 7-5 his first three years without getting fired. Tennessee is a pressure cooker it takes the right AD/Coach combo. We haven’t had that here in a long long long time. What good coach out their would have possibly meshed with (got his butt hurt) Phillip Fulmer. That guy definetly turned out to be a cancer on UT football after he got fired. Screw that guy.

Believe it or not, here in south west Indiana, I work with 3 Clemson alumni. All are rather attuned to the football program.
Seems like the rumors going around Clemson was Dabo taking a really hard look at the offense after this year.

Could be Elliot was for the first time feeling pressure of scrutiny and decided now was the best time for him to bow out...???

I totally believe this and Virginia is a graveyard for HC's. I really didn't want Elliot but even though UVA plays in an easier navigatable ACC UT is still a better job. He just waited too long and was starting to feel the pressure as Dabo is. Dabo will need to turn this around the first step is you shed Assistants and Coordinators, then the heat comes directly on you. Back to back to back Tajh Boyd, Deshaun Watsons, Trevor Lawrence you just don't get these types of QB's yearly over 10 years but Dabo did has Dabo's luck ran out DJU is not the answer at QB. Sometimes it's the Jimmies and Joes and not the Multi-million HC..

Reactions: IndianaVol
If the rumor that he, in fact, turned down the UT job last offseason, he instead takes the Virginia job?
So either that rumor isn’t true, or he thinks Virginia is a better coaching job than UT…yikes.

The UVA job comes with lower expectations and a longer leash. If this is his first HC job, I think this makes more sense.

The UT job was just too big for him. Much less pressure at UVA. And they don’t have an investigation going on. He doesn’t seem like a program builder kind of coach.

Not a better job, but a better job at the time. Also - heck of a lot easier…

Reactions: TennVols12
Sometimes you best hit the anvil when it's hot. I'm afraid the Iowa State coach may be in same situation.

All these coaches that turned down Tennessee are flaming out.

NC State coach
Purdue Coach
Iowa State coach
Greg Schiano - OK we passed on him.
Tony Elliot

Though we didn't offer the same could be said for Minnesota coach.

Mike Leach and OK State coach are doing alright treading water.

NC State coach
Purdue Coach
Iowa State coach
Tony Elliot

Brohm didn’t turn us down.

And with everyone from the Pruitt coaching search you have to take into account we were about to hire new president, chancellor, and athletic director. No coach wants to take a job when his boss, his boss’s boss, and his boss’s boss’s boss are all about to be different.

NC State coach
Purdue Coach
Iowa State coach
Tony Elliot

When did Matt Campbell ever turn down Tennessee? He interviewed for the job in November 2017 but Currie decided that he couldn’t afford to pay his buyout. And no Campbell, PJ Fleck, and Jeff Brohm are not “flaming out.”

NC State coach
Purdue Coach
Iowa State coach
Tony Elliot

NC State was 9-3 last year, 2 losses by a total of 4 points

Brohm didn’t turn us down.

And with everyone from the Pruitt coaching search you have to take into account we were about to hire new president, chancellor, and athletic director. No coach wants to take a job when his boss, his boss’s boss, and his boss’s boss’s boss are all about to be different.

According to local inside sources, Jimmy Hyams, Brohm accepted the job, but turned down after second thought. It was widely reported at the time. Broom than went on a PR campaign about how much he loves and believes in Purdue.

NC State was 9-3 last year, 2 losses by a total of 4 points
NC State is irrelevant. Them going 9-3 is similar to Kentucky and Mizzou going 7-5. No one cares about those programs. Also, their coach hasn't been in discussion for any other job from what I know. Decided to be stagnant at an irrelevant program

When did Matt Campbell ever turn down Tennessee? He interviewed for the job in November 2017 but Currie decided that he couldn’t afford to pay his buyout. And no Campbell, PJ Fleck, and Jeff Brohm are not “flaming out.”

LOL. The fact all three of those coaches are at the same school despite this massive coaching carasouel, should speak for itself. They were the hottest names a few cycles ago, stayed put, and haven't done anything more with the programs they are at. They just used an interview with us as an opportunity to get a raise.

Now, their stock has fallen. They are becoming mid tier Big 10 coaches. Nothing special and not going anywhere. Just enough to keep afloat.

LOL. The fact all three of those coaches are at the same school despite this massive coaching carasouel, should speak for itself. They were the hottest names a few cycles ago, stayed put, and haven't done anything more with the programs they are at. They just used an interview with us as an opportunity to get a raise.

Now, their stock has fallen. They are becoming mid tier Big 10 coaches. Nothing special and not going anywhere. Just enough to keep afloat.
I don’t even understand the point that you’re trying to make. Campbell and Fleck never turned down Tennessee. Literally ever. And Campbell just turned down $7 million a year to be the HC at Washington. So it doesn’t seem like his stock is “flaming out.”

Reactions: Rooster1
I don’t even understand the point that you’re trying to make. Campbell and Fleck never turned down Tennessee. Literally ever. And Campbell just turned down $7 million a year to be the HC at Washington. So it doesn’t seem like his stock is “flaming out.”

PJ Fleck reportedly told sources he wasn't interested in the TN job, so we backed off.Report: Candidate for Tennessee job ‘not interested’ in taking over Vols’ program.

You are correct on Campbell, but Im skeptical it was just a buyout issue. Curry needed to make a good hire and Tennessee should have bent over backwards to get a top candidate.

My point is that multiple coaches thought they were better than Tennessee. They chose to stay at Clemson as an OC, NC State, or some mid tier big 10 school. They passed up on coaching at one of the most historically rich programs in the country. In the SEC with fans who pack out a 100k seat stadium.

Now we have a coach who I'm proud of and those other coaches can eat dirt. Give us another year or two to get back competing for the SEC East and those coaches will dream for a similar job.

Yup. Even Kelly Bryant was a good QB for them, so it isn't entirely 5 star QBs who have had success with them. DJ was pretty bad. Who knows if he'll turn into a star, but I imagine Clemson will be looking at a few names in the portal.
Dabo has never used the portal….he has some kind of stance against it

Believe it or not, here in south west Indiana, I work with 3 Clemson alumni. All are rather attuned to the football program.
Seems like the rumors going around Clemson was Dabo taking a really hard look at the offense after this year.

Could be Elliot was for the first time feeling pressure of scrutiny and decided now was the best time for him to bow out...???
I'm also from southwest Indiana. What part?

NC State is irrelevant. Them going 9-3 is similar to Kentucky and Mizzou going 7-5. No one cares about those programs. Also, their coach hasn't been in discussion for any other job from what I know. Decided to be stagnant at an irrelevant program
. We haven’t gone 9-3 in more than a decade and haven’t won 10 games since 2007

VN Store

Back