Tony Elliot

TennVols12

If the rumor that he, in fact, turned down the UT job last offseason, he instead takes the Virginia job?
So either that rumor isn’t true, or he thinks Virginia is a better coaching job than UT…yikes.

Different time different place. That does not mean he thinks Va is a better job UT’s.
I just don’t understand it. Unless he thinks he would’ve come here and not won and be out of a job 3 years later, just speculating.

Believe it or not, here in south west Indiana, I work with 3 Clemson alumni. All are rather attuned to the football program.
Seems like the rumors going around Clemson was Dabo taking a really hard look at the offense after this year.

Could be Elliot was for the first time feeling pressure of scrutiny and decided now was the best time for him to bow out...???

If the rumor that he, in fact, turned down the UT job last offseason, he instead takes the Virginia job?
So either that rumor isn’t true, or he thinks Virginia is a better coaching job than UT…yikes.

Or maybe he didn't want to risk his first foray into HC to be at a school that was looking at possible sanctions and had a sabatuer in the ranks that turned in the last coach? This was a risky job to take for anyone. For a guy like Elliot, he might not a get another HC opportunity if he were to come here and fail. He'll have a longer leash at VA as long as he has a decent record.

Also, even though the football program isn't that good, Virginia is a pretty elite public university. Certainly more prestigious than UT.

Believe it or not, here in south west Indiana, I work with 3 Clemson alumni. All are rather attuned to the football program.
Seems like the rumors going around Clemson was Dabo taking a really hard look at the offense after this year.

Could be Elliot was for the first time feeling pressure of scrutiny and decided now was the best time for him to bow out...???

Clemson finally got average QB play after 4 studs and still won 9 games. DJ simply is a bust but came on late. I think Clemson moves on from him but it’s not like Clemson fell off. They finally had a 5 Star QB that didn’t play like the 4 previous QB’s.

Reactions: IndianaVol and Carp
With coaching salaries going crazier than normal this year, he is probably making more at Virginia than he would have here. Plus less pressure. Does anyone know how much he will be making? Isn’t Heupel making about 4 million?

Clemson finally got average QB play after 4 studs and still won 9 games. DJ simply is a bust but came on late. I think Clemson moves on from him but it’s not like Clemson fell off. They finally had a 5 Star QB that didn’t play like the 4 previous QB’s.

Yup. Even Kelly Bryant was a good QB for them, so it isn't entirely 5 star QBs who have had success with them. DJ was pretty bad. Who knows if he'll turn into a star, but I imagine Clemson will be looking at a few names in the portal.

Yup. Even Kelly Bryant was a good QB for them, so it isn't entirely 5 star QBs who have had success with them. DJ was pretty bad. Who knows if he'll turn into a star, but I imagine Clemson will be looking at a few names in the portal.
They have a stud qb from tx committed to them right now. DJ will probably be the one hitting the portal

Or he didn’t anticipate the season was going to have with his QB that was all hype and no wins.

Same for Venables. Can’t turn down too many jobs before you don’t have any to turn down. Chavis turned done a few and ended up being a lifetime coord.

Reactions: jonnon111
His star has faded given the performance of their offense this year. He'd be lucky to get the Virginia job now and wouldn't be offered to UT job. Bullet dodged.

This. If he turned UT down, he messed up. He gambled that he could do better later and he was wrong. So now he has to settle.

That said, I wonder if he was actually offered.

No he messed up his stock plummeted and he got the best he could get that's what 1 year can do to a coordinator.

Reactions: TennVols12
They have a stud qb from tx committed to them right now. DJ will probably be the one hitting the portal

Maybe. But I would think they would want more a sure thing for 2022. Plus they lost I think 2 Qbs to the portal. So there's clearly a need to add to their QB room.

I'm pleased that Elliot passed on the UT job. I know no one was over the moon about CJH at the time of hire; however, he certainly has done a fine job and it appears the sky is the limit. Elliot had extremely good luck with QBs at Clemson. This year was different of course. UVA is no UT in football. He can stay 30 years in a weak conference at UVA, win an ACC title or two and they will build a statue for him. That won't cut it here.

A year changes alot. Last year we were decimated by multiple ncaa violations. Clemson was playing in the CFP and were in line to hand the torch of their offense from Watson, to Lawrence, and now to Ungualei (?)

Tony Elliot thought he was too good for Tennessee and had better opportunity to stay at Clemson and kine himself up for a better job.

Unfortunately for him, this year was a train wreck on offense for Clemson and Elliot was under immense scrutiny. With Venables going to Oklahoma, Elliot was likely to take the fall of the blame if Clemson stumbled again next year.

Looks like Elliot eagerly decided to jet for the exit and take whatever job he could get. I'm actually surprised he got an offer. Anyways, all I can do is laugh. HAHAHAHA!!!!

Or maybe he didn't want to risk his first foray into HC to be at a school that was looking at possible sanctions and had a sabatuer in the ranks that turned in the last coach? This was a risky job to take for anyone. For a guy like Elliot, he might not a get another HC opportunity if he were to come here and fail. He'll have a longer leash at VA as long as he has a decent record.

Also, even though the football program isn't that good, Virginia is a pretty elite public university. Certainly more prestigious than UT.
What does that have to do with being the HBC?

No the reality is that his QB in 2020 threw for 3153 yards, 24 TD and 5 ints.
His QB in 2021 threw for 2059 yards, 9 TD and 9 ints.
He knew that if he ever wanted to be a head coach he better get it now because another year like the last one and he would not even get an OC job, let alone a HC job.

No the reality is that his QB in 2020 threw for 3153 yards, 24 TD and 5 ints.
His QB in 2021 threw for 2059 yards, 9 TD and 9 ints.
He knew that if he ever wanted to be a head coach he better get it now because another year like the last one and he would not even get an OC job, let alone a HC job.
Fair

Reactions: vol1981

VN Store

Back