• We've had an issue with our name servers today that may be affecting a number of users from accessing the site.

Tommy West

Much rather have Spangler than West from a coaching perspective. I have major concerns about Spangler's recruiting acumen, as I think that's why he hasn't already been offered the job.

Maybe a DL coach? wouldn't mind having his experience and recruiting abilities of the Memphis area on staff. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a look.

He didn't recruit the Memphis area. He always caught heat for not keeping the local talent in house. Then again, Memphis didn't have the $200,000 for average palyers that Alabama had...But no, Put West to Rest!

On scout they have a list which consists of: Ruffin Mcneil, Sal Sunseri, Eric Schuman(UAB DC), Bob Sanders(Lb coach for teh Bills), & Joe Barry(LB coach for the Bucs). They seem to think it will be one of these guys.

On December 21, 2008, at a press conference following the Lions' 42-7 loss to the New Orleans Saints, Detroit News sports columnist Rob Parker addressed a question about Barry to Marinelli, inquiring whether Marinelli wished that his daughter had "married a better defensive coordinator."

He does have the 0-16 stink on him. Not sure how good he is outside of this obvious black eye.

Great guy, not a horrible coach. He actually did things at Memphis NOBODY else could do. Don't want him here though.

West did as well as anyone's ever going to do with Tiger High football unless they get serious about the program. They put all of their resources into basketball. Before that, he was one of several guys since Danny Ford who had good-but-not-great teams at Clemson and got paid off by IPTAY after a bad season.

He'd be OK, but something tells me this isn't the right time or place for Tommy West to come home to UT.

On scout they have a list which consists of: Ruffin Mcneil, Sal Sunseri, Eric Schuman(UAB DC), Bob Sanders(Lb coach for teh Bills), & Joe Barry(LB coach for the Bucs). They seem to think it will be one of these guys.

Let's hope for our sakes that it's not McNeil...and then pray that it's not Schuman.

Where is all this sentiment coming from that Tommy West wouldn't make a good DC? The guy can coach defense.

Anybody have any thoughts about Marvin Sanders from Nebraska. He seems to have decent credentials, has been Assistant Head Coach/DC at North Carolina and is now Assistant DC with the Huskers. Although Nebraska is his alma mater, Marvin is stuck behind Carl Pelini as long as Bo remains head coach.

- Huskers.com - Nebraska Athletics Official Web Site

For those of you keeping score at home - here is the Schuman DC legacy in CUSA.

Scoring - 102 out of 120
Passing - 120 out of 120
Rushing - 59 out of 120
Yards - 114 out of 120

Not exactly a "WOW"!

Anybody have any thoughts about Marvin Sanders from Nebraska. He seems to have decent credentials, has been Assistant Head Coach/DC at North Carolina and is now Assistant DC with the Huskers. Although Nebraska is his alma mater, Marvin is stuck behind Carl Pelini as long as Bo remains head coach.

- Huskers.com - Nebraska Athletics Official Web Site

If he can get Suh type players then by all means bring him in. I don't know how much he had to do with that defense but it was sure enough good this year.

If he can get Suh type players then by all means bring him in. I don't know how much he had to do with that defense but it was sure enough good this year.

Sanders wasn't involved in Ndamukong Suh's recruitment. Suh was recruited to NU by Dennis Wagner, who is now head coach at Western Carolina University just across the mountain in Cullowhee, NC.

i wouldn't mind seeing Tommy West as DC. memphis had some really good defensive teams while he was there

Tommy West? As in, the same Tommy West that coached Memphis? Just out of curiosity, WHY would he want to be a DC after being a HC?

I watched West's press conference when he was fired. He basically stated that Memphis needed to get serious about football or shut down the program.

VN Store

Back